TDEE methods / accounting for exercise - Questions

Options
Hi All,

I was wanting some advice around calculating my TDEE and the variation between the different methods.

Stats
Height: 172 cm
Weight: 93.5 Kgs
Body fat estimation: 28% (based on US NAVY method)
Activity Level: Sedentary: Light -- have not accounted for exercise and training here (this is what I read to do in the majority)

I read in a few forum posts that a good pint for fat loss is to aim for calorie intake of around 80% of your TDEE, and then to get you protien intake to around 1 g per lb of lean body mass. I understand all of this, but depending on which method of TDEE calculation I use I get different results.

Mifflin-St Jeor: 2178
Harris-Benedict: 2330
Katch-McCardle: 2189

So I have a few questions.

1. Which method is the most accurate ? (there is a 150 cal approx 6% variance)
2. Should I average the lot and work on that as my TDEE ?
3. Should I increase my Activity Level to Moderate (in TDEE Calculations to account for exercise) and not concern myself with Calories burnt during exercise?

Thanks in advance,

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Just curious, If you are not doing TDEE with any exercise included why don't you just follow MFP and eat back your exercise cals?
  • OzJester13
    OzJester13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Mads,

I have considered that (and it's what I am currently doing). But as the most of the world I am time poor (and inherently lazy :) )

For the purpose of advanced meal preparation, calorie count etc, it I was thinking of concentrating on the nutrition (and getting a cleaner diet) as my lifestyle is now actually not sedentary. I can assume .. on average.. that my excercise is around 400 - 500 cals burnt per session (from two months recording from HRM).

Guess I want to make this less of a chore (recording and calculating).

Cheers,
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The outlier in those TDEEs is the Harris-Benedict result. Although revised in the 1980s it was originally developed in the early 1900s.

I believe the Mifflin-St Jeor (1990) is considered the "best" calculation and as the Katch-McCardle more or less agrees with that in your case I would go with those results and discard the Harris-Benedict.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mads,

I have considered that (and it's what I am currently doing). But as the most of the world I am time poor (and inherently lazy :) )

For the purpose of advanced meal preparation, calorie count etc, it I was thinking of concentrating on the nutrition (and getting a cleaner diet) as my lifestyle is now actually not sedentary. I can assume .. on average.. that my excercise is around 400 - 500 cals burnt per session (from two months recording from HRM).

Guess I want to make this less of a chore (recording and calculating).

Cheers,

then you should include your exercise into the calculation, and not set yourself as light active.
  • OzJester13
    OzJester13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it's easier to include your exercise in your TDEE, if it's fairly regular. That's what I do, and I really like knowing how many calories I have day to day, and not having to log my exercise. You can always eat a bit more if you do extra exercise, or a bit less if skip a usual session.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP for answering my Q.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i don't really want to start a new thread for my question, so am adding it here.

i'm trying to figure out my TDEE and BRM, and i'm using the calculator recommended elsewhere on this forum:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#mostaccuratecaloriecalculator

however, i don't know exactly what settings to use... especially the activity level.

my stats:
    65.5 inches
    male
    150 pounds
    38 years old

goal -- somewhere between 140-145 pounds, i think. large frame/chest.

my scale puts my bf% at 20 and my bmi at 24.9, though i don't know if those are accurate.

i work from home, so don't get much 'regular' activity.
    however, i walk/run/jog for 3 hours a day 5 days a week. speed ranges from around 3 to 6 mph, mostly in the 4 to 5 range. (almost exactly 13 miles total per day). m/w/f i also do 4 sets max pushups, some resistance training (not much), and around 600 crunches.

mfp thinks i burn around 1,242 cals during the walk/jog/run, as do other online calculators. i definitely work up a sweat during the faster periods. i can't up it too much else risk injury - every time i've changed something i've put myself out of action and so i'm very hesitant to up the speed, etc).

and... i have no idea what sort of calorie intake i should be aiming for. currently i'm in the 1800-2000 per day range, because MFP tells me my goal is 2,442 but that seems like a ton.

when i use the linked calculator, it tells me:
    bmr = 1543
    tdee = 2662
    goal calories (25% reduction) = 1996

but like i said, i have zero clue what to set my 'activity level' as, and that drastically affects the above numbers.

any help from someone experienced with this?