Lifting heavy questions for you

Options
Over the past two months I have incorporated lifting weights down at the gym into my exercise routine. I cut back on cardio (only running 3 days a week) and am lifting 4 days a week.

I have not read any books, don't work with a personal trainer and need a little advice from the more experienced people.

Background info....I am 47 years old and have never been athletic oriented. I grew up sitting out on gym class because I have asthma. My asthma is under control and have not had a problem with it in years.

I have a tendency to get tendonitis. I have bad shoulders (torn labrum in left shoulder and repaired torn labrum in right shoulder).
I have overcome shin splints in my legs (training the c25k app), and a sprain in my foot (evidently I have an extra bone in my foot that has been causing some problems).

I am using the machines at the gym, so I can focus on maintaining proper form and then will be moving onto free weights.
To give a specific example: Shoulder press.....warm up 1 rep of 10 at 10 pounds, then 5-8 reps of 8 at 20 pounds.

Like I said, I am really focusing on for and not injuring my body.

MY QUESTIONS: As this routine gets easier for me, should I increase reps, or increase weights? I know everyone is different, but how long should it take for this to become easier if I am lifting four days a week?

I would appreciate any other advice you can give me....thanks.

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, you should increase weights as soon as the weight you are using gets too easy to complete 5 or 6 reps. I do three sets of 6 reps, progressively increasing weights as I can. It takes shaking up your muscles to build them and more reps is more like cardio in how it behaves in your body (endurance, rather than strength).
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    First and foremost , make sure your body is properly healed.
    As soon as you can, get off of the machines and pick up free weights.
    Increase the weights.
    I love heavy weights. My stats are pretty bad *kitten* :bigsmile:
  • xBethanyJadex
    Options
    If you want to build strength, lower reps and heavier weights.
    If you want to build muscle, you can use the same weight or a slightly heavier one and increase your repetitions.
    If you want both then increase weight and reps slowly.
    Hope this helps :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    You don't increase reps, you increase weight. Any weight training program worth it's salt is going to be progressive in nature. My current program has me increase my weight (or at least try) by 5 Lbs total on each lift every session. 4-6 rep range for strength gains and 8-12 reps for hypertrophy (toning).

Personally, I'd look into New Rules of Lifting for Women and follow the program. There are also numerous routines on-line at places like bodybuilding.com and the like. A good program like NRofLfW will give you the routine though, including when and where you should up your weights.

If you're doing 4x weekly, you should be doing a body split...otherwise, a 3x weekly full body is the way to go and my preferred. Also, get off those machines...they will not teach you form as there is no natural motion. Have someone go with you who knows what they're doing or just ask the folks over there in the free weights...everyone is happy to help; I often request someone take a look at my form from time to time even though I've been doing this for awhile...just want to make sure I"m not getting sloppy. If you can, a few sessions with a trainer would be beneficial...otherwise, look at lots of videos and diagrams of the various exercises.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    first, i'd like to say great job. starting to strength train is hard for anyone at any age.

you would do yourself a great benefit by investing in some books such as new rules of lifting for women and starting strength.

machines will not let you perfect proper form. one of the drawbacks of machines is that they then to stabalize you as you lift, there for taking out a lot of muscles from the equation.

you ask if you should increas reps, or increase weight. the answer is yes. do both. Reps in the 1-5 range build dense muscle and strength, while reps in the 12+ range build muscular endurance and size. Reps in the 6-12 range build a somewhat equal amounts of muscular strength and muscular endurance.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You might want to read Starting Strength, 3d edition. It can be had for a good price or free for someone willing to do a tiny bit of investigation.

It will clearing up a lot of things I'd bet. I would abandon using machines for "form" as it isn't relatable, not even in the most marginal of ways.
  • wilcoplantenga
    Options
    First off, personally i think your warming up is way too short, especially when you torn both labrums in your shoulder, you should at least do a proper warming up (in the whole body of course, not just your shoulders)

I'd say look for some shoulder warming ups at youtube (bryce lewis and flexforall2 got great warming ups on their channels)

Then the reps and sets scheme: if you want to build some muscle i would keep the reps and sets pretty much the same and increase the weight, maybe keep the sets between 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps. i keep as a rule when i get 10 reps pretty easy on the first set i increase the weight, and so on. if i don't get 8 reps on a set i decrease the weight, and so on if needed.
    If you want to build more endurance in your muscles i would increase the reps to a maximum of 20-25 reps per set, eventually you have to go up in weight anyway.

Also listen to your body, if increased weight causes you pain, stop using them for a while and focus on lighter weights.

I hope this helps!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle, you can use the same weight or a slightly heavier one and increase your repetitions.

:huh:
    Umm...no. This is counterintuitive.

As you lift weights, you get stronger which in turn builds muscle. As you get more muscle, you get stronger. The two are NOT independent of each other.

I recommend READING some books on the subject, such as New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, etc. The more knowledge you have from RELIABLE sources (i.e., NOT Dr Oz) the better you will be able to work.

The BEST source of information is the LIBRARY.

ETA get OFF the machines! They are designed for tall, muscular men, and significantly limit range of motion, especially for women. You could actually do yourself more harm than good!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You should probably only lift 3 days a week, with at least a full day's rest in between (But low intensity cardio like walking, running, cycling, swimming, is good for muscle recovery. No need to cut that out.).

For strength and power, increase your weights.
    For endurance and stamina, increase your reps.

If you want to build muscle mass you need to build strength so keep your reps low and increase your weights as you are able.

You'll be able to increase your strength rather quickly at the start, then your progress will level off.

Also stay far away from machines unless your aim is specifically bodybuilding. Do the free weights. There's no substitute for having to balance and support the weight with your entire body as it moves.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    get off machines now. do free weights. you are not makin yourself any safer doing machines first..
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Free weights are very safe. If something's wrong, if it hurts or it's too heavy or your form is so bad you can't lift it, you just drop it. Not a big deal.

Hooray for bumper plates and rubber mats!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Somebody recommended reading Starting Strength and I would agree that's a good start for you. I would be careful with the torn labrum.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

kwdui1m.gif
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

kwdui1m.gif

Well played sir

kwdui1m.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have not read any books, don't work with a personal trainer and need a little advice from the more experienced people.

My advice would be to read a book. Pick out one of the New Rules of Lifting books and read it through. It will give you a solid foundation to base your strength training from, regardless of if you follow the routines in it or not. It's a must read for someone that's totally new to resistance training.
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    First off, personally i think your warming up is way too short, especially when you torn both labrums in your shoulder, you should at least do a proper warming up (in the whole body of course, not just your shoulders)

I'd say look for some shoulder warming ups at youtube (bryce lewis and flexforall2 got great warming ups on their channels)

The labrum tears are old (possibly as old as 5 years). One was repaired two years ago.

The warm up set is just for lifting. I do about 20 minutes of light cardio on the treadmill or elliptical before I start lifting.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I started lifting heavy about 9 months ago. I used no trainers and had little exposure to free weights prior but I used as many resources as possible. I agree with the people telling you to read the NROL books, StrongLifts and the like. I did SL5x5 for 24 weeks and saw great results. Just take your time to learn good form and follow instructions, use YouTube to fine tune your form and post videos on here. You'd be surprised how quickly you'll learn good habits.
  • xBethanyJadex
    Options
    In response to the people being abit WTF about my comment. I'm only telling you what I've read up on and what personal trainers have told me. My other half used to be a personal trainer and this is what he learnt on his course. Also it's personally worked for me just fine and my alot of my gym friends who follow the same advice. It can't be completely untrue if I was told by a world strongest man competitor who owns my gym. So instead of slating other people's advice, just tell them your own advice!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    DONT increase weight if your shoulder isn't 100% fine ... I dislocated my shoulder and tore ligaments almost 2 years post op because my shoulder tendons were not near as strong as the muscle around the shoulder . BE SURE that's all I have to say . Im out for the rest of the year because I may need an Op again
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps48c158e9.gif