Counting calories.. a necessity?

Options
tcraw15
tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
Hey guys,

Now I know most users of MFP count calories and pay careful attention to food intake (i.e. logging food, writing down what they eat), but I was wondering if this is really necessary..

I would like to mention that I joined MFP in 2011 and was an active user for about 4-5 months (From November of 2011 to around April of 2012). I was obsessed with counting calories and logged my food intake daily. However, at the end of April, I stopped doing all of that. Though, thinking back to it now, I remember it being very tedious and I think it made me enjoy food less and my weight loss journey less enjoyable. It felt like a chore more than anything. I don't want to be counting calories for the rest of my life either.

As of March 2013, I noticed I had gained all my weight back that I had lost the previous year. I decided to get back into working out and eating healthy, though this time around I have taken a different approach to things.

I have NOT COUNTED CALORIES AT ALL.

Instead, I have paid attention to my body when eating. I rarely ever get full. And I eat multiple meals throughout the day. I eat to the point of satisfaction. How has this all worked out for me? Well since March 18th, granted I have only lost a total of 9 lbs, I have lost a total of 12.6 inches!

I know that for some of you, counting calories seems fit and is a must. But I suppose it just doesn't work for me. I feel less stressed out if I avoid it. And honestly, I feel that listening to your body and how it feels is very important..

So with that said, does anyone have any input on this subject?

Replies

• savoiaS1
    savoiaS1 Posts: 129
    Options
    IT is to most. You can become good at guessing. But I still count. I dont count calories tho I count macronutrients which is essentially counting calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    congratulations, you ate in a deficit...

counting calories has nothing to do with weight gain or loss...

Eat less then you take in you will lose...eat more then you take in and you will gain ....

Maybe not counting made it easier for you to eat less?

For me I like to count and keep track of my macros. i do not find it all that tedious...

congrats on your loss...
  • tcraw15
    Options
    True. I didn't think too much about macros. My body mostly reacts badly to sugar and salt. But I eat a fairly clean diet. Mostly Paleo. So I don't really worry about it too much.

And yes, I think it made it easier for me to eat less. Not to mention I hate the feeling of being full now. :)
  • savoiaS1
    Options
    Youre carb sensitive. Sugar is a carb. In the end it doesnt matter if ur eating candy or oats. A carb is a carb. The salt thing could def be an issue tho. Cardio and more potassium in ur diet can help that. Again more of a reason to start counting macronutrients (protein carbs fat) and even track some micronurtrients like Sodium and potassium. GL.
  • DrCaspianDoll
    DrCaspianDoll Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am glad you found something that works for you! For me personally, counting calories works because it keeps my conscious about what I am eating . As a medical student I am already keeping many logs, notes and schedules on everything else so another log doesn't add stress to my life at all. The stressful part about eating clean and working out for me is finding the time to prep and cook and make it to the gym, but I would have that stress regardless of counting calories or not (I have tried) so seeing what I ate recorded makes me feel not only accountable for what I eat but also rewarded and proud.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of paleo peeps don't count cals... just watch carb/sugar intake.
  • tcraw15
    Options
    Youre carb sensitive. Sugar is a carb. In the end it doesnt matter if ur eating candy or oats. A carb is a carb. The salt thing could def be an issue tho. Cardio and more potassium in ur diet can help that. Again more of a reason to start counting macronutrients (protein carbs fat) and even track some micronurtrients like Sodium and potassium. GL.

Well, mostly simple carbs. I do eat oatmeal and that doesn't seem to be an issue for me. I avoid breads and pastas for the most part too, so maybe you are right lol. I will still eat those things, but only in moderation, every once in a while. I mostly eat vegetables, some fruit (I do eat bananas, berries, and apples), and meat (fish, chicken, sometimes beef).. And the only dairy I really eat is greek yogurt and milk (with protein powder)

Thank you for the advice!
  • tcraw15
    Options
    I am glad you found something that works for you! For me personally, counting calories works because it keeps my conscious about what I am eating . As a medical student I am already keeping many logs, notes and schedules on everything else so another log doesn't add stress to my life at all. The stressful part about eating clean and working out for me is finding the time to prep and cook and make it to the gym, but I would have that stress regardless of counting calories or not (I have tried) so seeing what I ate recorded makes me feel not only accountable for what I eat but also rewarded and proud.

I see what you mean. But hey, if it works for you, then that's great!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Before calorie counting I could lose weight, but I never really felt in control of it. It just seemed haphazard-- I would try to eat less, and sometimes it would work and sometimes not. Calorie counting (especially since I bought a food scale) gives me a lot of control, and I like that.

I don't think it's necessary for everyone, but it is the best way imo to figure out what you're doing exactly what what you need to change.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    For me it is.
  • savoiaS1
    Options
    Youre welcome. Altho there may be some people who initially react differently to complex vs simple carbs. I am a firm believer with what many well documented educated nutritionists have documented that in the END a carb is a carb. Being so...that in the End total weightloss does not matter what type of carb you eat. NOW I WILL SAY. For overall health obviously a complex healthy carb source is much better for you. But when it comes to the scale. There shouldnt be much difference in your weekly weigh in. I have consistently lost bodyfat by meeting my carb macros no matter if I ate tons of oats or sweedish fish to reach my macro counts for the day/week.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Now I know most users of MFP count calories and pay careful attention to food intake (i.e. logging food, writing down what they eat), but I was wondering if this is really necessary..

It is impossible to intelligently analyze performance conditions when core data is missing. That's setting oneself up for long term failure because the best method of analysis available is observational. That's what got you to a point where you had to make a change. Doing the same and expecting a different result is not an optimal strategy.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without counting calories simply by changing the types of foods you eat, exercising more, sleeping more, eating out less, drinking less, etc. Often you can get to the "red zone" simply making such lifestyle changes. However, you may eventually plateau and then need to start counting calories to lose the last 10-15 pounds.

Regardless, counting calories is helpful for a lot of reasons you might not realize. Keeping a food journal can be pretty eye opening for many. Also, tracking protein and fiber intake is important (although if you're paleo you're probably good on those). I would strongly recommend counting calories and tracking your macro's for a few months at least. That way you can at least get an idea of how many calories your eating and burning.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    yes people are able to lose or gain weight without counting calories/macros. However, by doing so it is a whole lot easier to have a flexible approach to eating towards their goals. Achieving goals without unnecessarily cutting out entire food groups.

Also, many people who are overweight have issues determine what is actual hunger and when they are full. Others, have emotional eating issues, others are just numbers people and like to count :smile: (that's me)

And being that body composition changes will differ with different macronutrient ratios but same calories, if people are looking to fine tune their goals then I'd personally recommend tracking macros.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've done it before, but I'm not bothering right now. I've been losing weight so far by making an effort to eat reasonable portion sizes of fresh, whole foods + exercise. If I find that I reach a plateau, then I might start counting calories to see what's going on. For now, it doesn't seem necessary.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I put on weight eating paleo. That's because it is pseudoscience and only works if, unlike in my case, the foods that are "allowed" don't happen to be your favorite foods. If you eat more than you spend, you put on weight. If you eat less than you spend, you lose weight.

Counting calories and limiting total calories is based on real science, not wild speculation and a vague sense of nostalgia combined with unfounded assumptions about the actual health outcomes of our ancestors. I call this the Garden of Eden effect.

My hunger signals are completely unreliable, just like most people. Again, that has been shown by actual scientists. Using actual evidence. If you are one of the few exceptions, that's great! But I suspect that even in your case, as you get closer and closer to achieving a difficult goal, the amount of data, precision, and effort required to make further progress will increase. It's a common mistake to assume that because you lose the first x number of pounds with small changes, you will be able to keep going without more effort and discipline.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    For me it is. I've been doing it for so long it doesn't feel like a chore, it's easy. I still enjoy my food.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Eating Paleo and counting calories are not mutually exclusive things (OP, I know you didn't say or imply this...the other poster in the thread is making it sound that way). I eat paleo,and I've been tracking everything from day one so that I can count calories and pay close attention to my macros.

In the past I've tried to diet by not tracking, and it was a major fail for me.

OP, If your way is working out great for you, continue on.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It's not a necessity, some people like planning their meals for the day, and do so within their calorie limits, and others are very strict about what they eat, and will only eat to the number.

I have a calorie limit of 1750, and I'm lucky if I get to 1200 most days. Thats not intentional, some days I just eat light, and on days where it's warmer.

Some people might find the limit as something to aim towards, or keep under. Some people might find them disciplined enough to only eat to their limit, and not use any of the cushion that eating back calories would provide.

It's a very individual thing. If you have something that works for you, don't feel like you have to do it the way others do :flowerforyou:
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Listening to my body does NOT work for me, because my body lies! That's how I put on the weight in the first place. However, it worked well for a friend of a mine who lost quite a bit doing the Paul McKenna thing (basically, eat when you're hungry, stop before you're full).

I have previously lost weight on diets which didn't involve calorie counting. They worked to limit your food intake in some way so that you ended up with less calories, without having to actually count them out. But I do feel more in control with calorie counting at the moment, and I like the flexibility.