Lifting heavy questions for you

Options
2»

Replies

• xBethanyJadex
    Options
    Building strength:
    http://www.dumblittleman.com/2008/10/six-rules-of-building-strength.html?m=1

Building muscle:
    http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/16/what-builds-more-muscles-weight-or-repetitions/

The last one doesn't really need explaining. Over time as you get stronger then you can increase weight and reps.
    How is this so hard to understand?!
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You don't increase reps, you increase weight. Any weight training program worth it's salt is going to be progressive in nature. My current program has me increase my weight (or at least try) by 5 Lbs total on each lift every session. 4-6 rep range for strength gains and 8-12 reps for hypertrophy (toning).

Personally, I'd look into New Rules of Lifting for Women and follow the program. There are also numerous routines on-line at places like bodybuilding.com and the like. A good program like NRofLfW will give you the routine though, including when and where you should up your weights.

If you're doing 4x weekly, you should be doing a body split...otherwise, a 3x weekly full body is the way to go and my preferred. Also, get off those machines...they will not teach you form as there is no natural motion. Have someone go with you who knows what they're doing or just ask the folks over there in the free weights...everyone is happy to help; I often request someone take a look at my form from time to time even though I've been doing this for awhile...just want to make sure I"m not getting sloppy. If you can, a few sessions with a trainer would be beneficial...otherwise, look at lots of videos and diagrams of the various exercises.

^^ Great advice! ^^
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    First off, personally i think your warming up is way too short, especially when you torn both labrums in your shoulder, you should at least do a proper warming up (in the whole body of course, not just your shoulders)

I'd say look for some shoulder warming ups at youtube (bryce lewis and flexforall2 got great warming ups on their channels)

The labrum tears are old (possibly as old as 5 years). One was repaired two years ago.

The warm up set is just for lifting. I do about 20 minutes of light cardio on the treadmill or elliptical before I start lifting.

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but having a couple of years of pretty dedicated strength training under my belt, I have to say I agree that you could stand some more warm-up time for your shoulders at least. Shoulders are a wonky, complex joint, and even the best form during lifting can aggravate them. If not more actual warm-up reps of the lifts that you are doing, then some prehab/myofascial release type stuff (band pull-aparts, lacrosse ball rolling, face pulls, light plate front raises, etc) to really fire up the whole joint would be well worth the added 10-15 minutes.

And I would echo the comments that you should increase weight, and possibly even lower the reps. IMO 6 reps per set is a good place for someone with your goals to focus your efforts. Pick something that's difficult for 3 sets of 6.

Lastly, machines force your body to move through a specific range of motion and work less of your support musculature than free weights. Don't learn form on a machine. Learn it by doing ridiculously light free weights to begin with.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    IMO what Bethany is saying is the old adage about strength vs hypertrophy phrased in an odd manner. I'm not sure why so many people are acting as if what she's saying is lolwtf.
  • crazy4fids
    crazy4fids Posts: 173
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I ordered NR for women last night! So excited to get it! Gonna work my way into the big kids room! :drinker:
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    As this routine gets easier for me, should I increase reps, or increase weights?

Both! Different days, different routines. Do some heavy days and some endurance days.
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    When it comes to increasing your weight use the 2x2 rule it will prevent overtraining.

For example say my max rep range is 12 reps If i do 14 reps with the same amount of weight for 2 sessions in a row I should up my weight on the third session so my new max would be 10-12 reps

If you up them too much to where you are on the lower end of your rep range it might cause overtraining especially if your prone to tendinitis
  • xBethanyJadex
    Options
    IMO what Bethany is saying is the old adage about strength vs hypertrophy phrased in an odd manner. I'm not sure why so many people are acting as if what she's saying is lolwtf.

Thankyou!!! Jeez I do not like being made to look like an idiot! The people I know, know what they're talking about! But I'm not saying that's all you have to do, it was just a bit of advice is all! :)
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you are a complete beginner to lifting, then I would not recommend going heavy for at least a few months. You want to build up strength and endurance in your ligaments and tendons, especially if you are prone to tendinitus like you say. Keep the weight light and work higher reps, in the 8-12 range, for a few months. Add weight when you can get 12 reps for all your sets. After a few months you can keep adding weight and lower the reps down to the 5-8 range. The quickest path to injury and frustration is going too heavy too fast. Your muscles can adapt a lot faster than your tendons, which is why it's important to give them time to get used to moving and supporting weight that they didn't have to before.
  • crazy4fids
    Options
    When it comes to increasing your weight use the 2x2 rule it will prevent overtraining.

For example say my max rep range is 12 reps If i do 14 reps with the same amount of weight for 2 sessions in a row I should up my weight on the third session so my new max would be 10-12 reps

If you up them too much to where you are on the lower end of your rep range it might cause overtraining especially if your prone to tendinitis

Good advice! Thank you!
  • crazy4fids
    Options
    If you are a complete beginner to lifting, then I would not recommend going heavy for at least a few months. You want to build up strength and endurance in your ligaments and tendons, especially if you are prone to tendinitus like you say. Keep the weight light and work higher reps, in the 8-12 range, for a few months. Add weight when you can get 12 reps for all your sets. After a few months you can keep adding weight and lower the reps down to the 5-8 range. The quickest path to injury and frustration is going too heavy too fast. Your muscles can adapt a lot faster than your tendons, which is why it's important to give them time to get used to moving and supporting weight that they didn't have to before.

Again, thanks for addressing my pronation to tendonitis. It is greatly appreciated.

Linda