My first post...and first binge!

Options
Hi! This is my first ever post on here!

I dont suppose you all want to know my life story but suffice to say three years ago i was 8.5 stone. And now, much to my HORROR i'm 11.5 stone with a wedding coming up in September!

I've been using the MyFitnessPal for three weeks now and lost 4lbs! Hooray me! :)

But this weekend was just terrible! I didn't even log the calories! I had takeaway (chinese) on Sunday, I had a creamy curry last night AND icecream, i had biscuits and jellies. I just couldn't stop!

I was due to weigh in today but i dont think i'll bother! :(

I am wondering if the binge I had was a result of my being TOO strict with myself if that's possible. Depriving myself of sugar, dairy, carbs etc.

Does anyone have treat days? And by treat days i mean does anyone have a single chocolate bar on a Friday or something? Something to reward yourself?

By the way i'm 30yrs old and 5ft 5". Random fact! :)

Replies

• NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate everyday. This isn't about..in my opinion....restriction it's about moderation.
  • seths_milf
    seths_milf Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've noticed if I restrict myself completely it backfires big time and I binge. Just eat what you want in moderation and within your calories and you WILL lose weight. It's working alot better for me :flowerforyou:
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have "cheat meals" once a week and then there are some who just eat whatever they want but in smaller portions. Me, I eat a single block from a chocolate bar when I'm having a craving, sometimes 2. I don't log much on the weekends, and if given the opportunity to eat with friends or family for a special occasion, I do it guilt free. The other days, I try to stay pretty strict. Restricting yourself too much can be a set up for failure.
  • trudiedurbridge
    Options
    I used to do weight watchers and I did exactly that - was good for a few weeks and then had a blow out (mainy becvuase I wasnt eating enough on weightwatchers I was always hungey) but after a bad weekend I would miss my meeting and not weigh in, and then the cycle began 4 weeks later I'd put on more then when i first started and id drag my bum back and do the same again........ what I have learnt is if you have something "bad" log it, track it, whatever you do, and start again, so I would advice si to weigh in, draw a line and carry on we all have bad weekends its about the carrying on :) its best to know the damage (if any) and pull it back in before it goes further!

The binge might well be cutting out too much - let yoursefl have things little and often as long as you stay within your calories :) I always have treat days - most days i hae something nice (naughty...but nice) lol feel free to add for some support ... and keep going your doing brilliantly :) x
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    PS If you want to look awesome for the wedding, start strength training! Congrats btw! :flowerforyou:
  • ninjakowski
    ninjakowski Posts: 158
    Options
    Everybody is different but for me it's really important to have at least one day a week where I am more 'relaxed' about my eating.
    I make it Friday evening - its kind of a nice reward I can look forward to during the week and it keeps me on track. If I mess up during the week, I don't let myself have the Friday night reward, and I look forward to it enough for that to be a big incentive to stay on track all week.

I dont go crazy, but will eat lightly all day and do a longer workout and leave myself a good 800-1000 cals to spend as I please.

The funny thing is, as time has gone on, my treat night has gotten less and less naughty. It started out as pizzas and ben and jerrys and blocks of chocolate. Last week it was a vegetarian lasagne and frozen yoghurt! lol. Not because I don't let myself eat those things anymore, but I just dont crave them like I used to. Just take it one step at a time, don't be too hard on yourself, it just gets easier and easier.
  • cheliki
    cheliki Posts: 33
    Options
    Your only human!

I had a TERRIBLE day on Saturday. I went over my calories by 1000. I was so disappointed in myself but then I thought to myself "I'll just work harder this week."

Of course, if you restrict yourself with no treats your more likely to crave them more making you have bad days.

If you have a treat, do some exercise afterwards!

Sorry for rambling...
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I eat treats whenever I want them I just make sure they fit into my calories. But I do have an occasional cheat day which is usually when I go over families homes to eat or to a party of some sort. If you deprive yourself of your favorite foods you won't last on here. Make it a lifestyle change and eat your favorities in moderation
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate everyday. This isn't about..in my opinion....restriction it's about moderation.

Yay for moderation ... I love chocolate. :)
  • duckdani
    duckdani Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am the same height - and funny enough i used to be 8.5 stone and now over 11! i stopped logging for ages and that screwed me up - i need to log to see what is screwing me up!
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different but for me it's really important to have at least one day a week where I am more 'relaxed' about my eating.
    I make it Friday evening - its kind of a nice reward I can look forward to during the week and it keeps me on track. If I mess up during the week, I don't let myself have the Friday night reward, and I look forward to it enough for that to be a big incentive to stay on track all week.

I dont go crazy, but will eat lightly all day and do a longer workout and leave myself a good 800-1000 cals to spend as I please.

The funny thing is, as time has gone on, my treat night has gotten less and less naughty. It started out as pizzas and ben and jerrys and blocks of chocolate. Last week it was a vegetarian lasagne and frozen yoghurt! lol. Not because I don't let myself eat those things anymore, but I just dont crave them like I used to. Just take it one step at a time, don't be too hard on yourself, it just gets easier and easier.

I also am finding I want the results more than the treats. But moderation is key.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key... if you are craving something, have it! Just make it fit into your macros for the day!

I have definitely found if I deny my cravings then I do horribly soon after!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I eat treats whenever I want them I just make sure they fit into my calories. But I do have an occasional cheat day which is usually when I go over families homes to eat or to a party of some sort. If you deprive yourself of your favorite foods you won't last on here. Make it a lifestyle change and eat your favorities in moderation

THIS, and strength training at the gym, super important. Look up New Rules of Lifting for Women, and you'll be smokin' in your white dress on your wedding day.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict myself from anything - I just look for the healthy option of what I want to eat and go wth that and budget into my calorie allowance. I do have Saturdays "reserved" as my cheat meals day if I decide I do want to eat anything not normally in my everyday food rotation but it hardly ever happens because I don't tell myself I can't have anything....outside of foods that literally make me sicka fter eating them of course. It doesn't stop me form mentally craving those foods, I just have to remind myself of how I'll feel if I do eat it and it passes.

I agree with weighing in anyway today and move on from it. Also, try to not tell yourself you CAN'T have anything...try to moderation approach so you can still have it but mind the portion sizes.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    hi and welcome.

I'm very glad that you're recognizing your binges. I am also glad that you are reaching out for support. All I can say is this simply

It will be fine. It'll pass. One day won't ruin you. Your binge today is your body resisting change and signs that you're making progress with the changes.

In the begining, we all went through this. The target ofcourse is to reduce, if not eliminate, the binges. But that will come with time and persistance. Just stick with it. Try to workout the extra calories you ate. Try to eat a wee bit less tomorrow but don't try to starve and you will be fine. Besides that, just forget about today but do log it.

The only thing I can say to reduce binges is to try and incorporate the foods that you love in your diary on a regular bases. I eat ice cream or some other junk foods daily. About 10% of my calories are devoted to it. Since I started doing that, binges are almost non-existant.

Good luck :)
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing in the beginning when I cut out too many things at once and then I wanted to eat everything in site after a few weeks. It gets easier with time and your body will stop craving junk food as badly. This weekend was a mess for me because I was stressed and super busy so I let myself have a few days off which ended with a binge so yesterday was right back on track again. The best way to look at is it takes 3,500 calories to gain a pound so unless you ate that much over in a few days to put on pounds the scale will reflect bloating and a temporary weight gain due to sodium and other things after a binge. Getting on the scale after a binge including Chinese and curry which both have large amounts of sodium may leave you with a number that is higher than expected so I would wait a day or two to weigh in until that clears up so that you see a true reflection of where you really are number wise. Good luck with this and congrats on the wedding.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    This is a great source of information...read some of the links provided...it is from the EAT, TRAIN, PROGRESS group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • sjr1016a
    sjr1016a Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have learned to eat in moderation. I was listening to my friend one give me a rundown of her eating habits and she deprived herself so much of what she usually eat. She complains that she is always hungry (I can see why). I believe I am losing weight because I eat less of what I usually eat instead of cutting it out altogether.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I agree with KimberlyDCZ and Crankstr. All things in moderation, weight train for fast results, and that group is an excellent source of info and support.

Also, don't sweat it. That one binge is not going to derail everything you've done. Just get back to your program. Maybe tweak a little so this doesn't happen too often. (notice I said "too often" not "again". It will happen again because you are human and it will be okay that time too.)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just had a half slice of Red Velvet Cake.... note I said HALF slice. Anything in moderation. :)