Black Bean Brownies! (Trust me they are excellent)

Options
Rikki007s
Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
Sounds kinda gross, but I just tried them and they are delicious! I am particularly pleased to have found this recipe because as a diabetic I can't eat regular brownies because of the carb/sugar content. But these brownies only have 13 grams of carbs per serving and the serving size is very generous.

I cut my batch into 9 pieces (the recipe says 12, but I wanted them a bit bigger) and the nutrition facts are as follows:

Per Serving: 186 Calories 14g carbs 15g fat 3g protein 2g fiber

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/black-bean-brownies-recipe/index.html

Let me know if anyone else has tried this and what you thought.

Replies

• eahouston
    eahouston Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    One word of warning from experience- don't use cajun spiced black beans even if that's all you have in your cupboard haha. (The smell lingered in my house for days.)

Otherwise, black bean brownies are fantastic!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    ive made black bean brownies before.. i dont think it was that specific recipe though. the taste was good, but i had a crappy food processor at the time, so the beans didnt get as smooth as they should have - making the texture a bit weird. ive been meaning to try them again now that i have a better processor
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I make these from time to time. They are amazing!!!
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to try these! I looooove black beans :D
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I posted this recipe a couple of weeks ago, Iv been wanting to try them so bad ( gluten free) but i cannot find black beans anywhere in aus!!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Does everyone know that "brownie" refers to a specific brown ingredient, not to just ANY brown ingredient?
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Does everyone know that "brownie" refers to a specific brown ingredient, not to just ANY brown ingredient?

Wait, what? You mean like the "cookie dough" made from white beans that tastes nothing like cookie dough?
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    OMG, what is it?!
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    One word of warning from experience- don't use cajun spiced black beans even if that's all you have in your cupboard haha. (The smell lingered in my house for days.)

Otherwise, black bean brownies are fantastic!

LOL that sounds like a pretty terrible experience. Luckily I went out and bought regar one specifically for this recipe.
  • Marley112586
    Marley112586 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Gonna have to try this. Thanks!
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of canned black beans, so this is perfect. I wonder if you could omit the chocolate chips and just increase the cocoa powder a little bit.
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I made them last night and they're delicious!! Although I didn't use any cocoa powder or chocolate chips, just two bars of 40gr chocolate each, and they ended up being awesooome! It was so much fun to watch my family eat one... two pieces and then tell them that they were made of beans! lol :tongue:

My sister actually asked if I had used her Betty Crocker brownie mix (she's been saving it for a "special ocasion" :laugh: )

Today I'm taking the brownies to work, I'm really looking forward to see my coworkers' expression when they find out the main ingredient :tongue:

This is what was left an hour after I took them out of the oven:
    CAM00365_zpsc03ea2c0.jpg
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had no idea.... will be trying these!
  • Nikki_G30
    Nikki_G30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yum! Will definitely try these.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    nasty............ill eat a 100 calerie snack pack
  • meshamoo
    meshamoo Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I've made this using regular brownie mixes. It's literally black beans, water and brownie mix, no oil. They're fantastic and way lower fat than regular brownies!
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    nasty............ill eat a 100 calerie snack pack

Don't knock it until you try it!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options

It's in the recipe along with the beans and other ingredients.