I have the flu I think, how can I get rid of it fast!!

Options
My symptoms:
Sore throat
head ache
runny nose
very upset stomach

I WANT IT TO GO AWAY.
All I had to eat today was a small cup of coffee and a cup of frozen fruit :( I really want to feel better

Replies

• CoachJ77
    CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I dont think you can get rid of the flu haha. Umm I would say take Vitamin C pills and to feel better just go get medicine for your symptoms. Keep drinking water/gatorade too
  • ATJune
    ATJune Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Try some steam inhalation .. tht will get all the stuff out of your system.. and as the saying goes... Starve a fever, feed a cold... so eat well.. have lots of soup... i hope u get well soon!! tc...
  • Jamiecfc1
    Jamiecfc1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There is no cure for the flu except rest and drinking water. On the bright side not eating anything will help you lose weight for sure :) Get well soon!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking LOTS of water (as much as your stomach will allow). Take some Vitamin C (or eat some oranges if you're able). And eat what you can. When I have an upset tummy, crackers are easy to keep down. Have some soup: chicken noodle will help you get some protein and carbs to help keep your energy a little up. I also like to have ginger ale when I'm sick. Ginger helps nausea so ginger tablets work too, but I hardly ever have those.

Feel better!
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    All you can do is drink lots of liquids (preferably warm or hot- avoid ice cold drinks)

Lots of lemon and honey, or spicy food, eating raw cloves of garlic (it's disgusting, but personally I find it helps)

Rub Vick's vapour rub on chest and back and even melt some in a bowl of boiling water and inhale with a towel over your head morning and evening before bed.

There really isn't a quick way of getting rid of it unless your immune system is really strong. I suffered the worse flu in my life 2 years ago, and I was stuck with it for 3 months. It got so bad that it turned into a chest infection and almost got bronchitis.

Now, when I get a cold, it doesn't last so long [touches wood]. Also, I find taking echinacea drops in a glass of water often helps build your immune system.

Hope that helps and get better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I swear by zinc. I take two as soon as I feel something coming on, and 1 each day that I am sick.... take with food or it will make you nauseous. Always shortens the duration and severity of my colds/flu.
  • eliaison
    eliaison Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're sick! :-(

The flu is a virus, each strain takes its own time to go through your system. As well, the condition of your immune system may factor in how quickly you get well. The flu, unlike a cold, usually takes a bit longer and requires more rest, and more patience with your body as you become strong again. Some people can keep working out during a cold, but that is not recommended with flu.

If your stomache is upset, just rest and try to sip water. Sip chicken broth if you can, eat plain soda crackers. Just eat as soon as you start to feel better. Avoid spicy foods, hard to digest foods. Think comfort foods! Also a little ginger ale might be welcome.

You didnt mention a fever. Flu is commonly associated with a fever. If you have no fever at all, its possible you just have a nasty cold. Either way, just be patient with your body as it heals. Rest and drink a lot of water. Give yourself time.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Rest, obviously. TONS of clear fluid. Have someone run to store & pick up some airborne, zicam, and Bolthouse Farms C-Boost juice for you. All of those will help boost your immune system and reduce the duration of the ick.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Fluids. It suck just rid it out
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You can't "get rid" of the flu, but I've got a remedy that will make you feel better & ease the tummy issue: it's called Cold Tea
    All you need is:
    1 Camomille Tea Bag (Bigelow is nice)
    1tsp Honey (best bet is local honey, tupelo has best flavour)
    1Tbs chopped fresh ginger (you can use 1/2tsp ground ginger powder if no fresh available)
    1-3Tbs Lemon Juice (you can do fresh squeezed or store-bought ready to use lemon juice)

Place tea bag in mug w/honey & ginger, pour boiling water over top: add in lemon & let steep for about 10mins. Squeeze out tea bag, stir & sip slowly & enjoy :happy:
    It really works well for sore throat & sore/achy/yucky tummy symptoms.

I hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • jacolyncoker
    jacolyncoker Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A lot of what you guys are saying involves citrus, and I am allergic to all citrus :( Right now im chewin on some crackers and sipping diet coke. We have no sprite or ginger ale unfortunately :(
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Options
    As everyone has already stated: WATER. Drink water, plenty of it. Try to avoid juices and sodas as sugars can actually hurt the healing process. Clear broths, water ( I drink it both cold and hot when sick), and I really like the above posters suggested tea. I was going to suggest ginger tea, but I like the sound of the recipe she has up there.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    In addition to the info given by others, and the vitamin C mentioned by someone above me, just want to add that vitamin D is important for a strong immune system. I take 3000 mg every day and since I started doing that(two years ago), I have had only one cold. I worked in a call center where "bugs" were passed around like candy and managed to avoid getting sick at all last winter, even when we had swine flu going around. IMO in works. It won't help you now, but taking it may help you have a future with less illness.

Hope you feel better soon.:flowerforyou:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i make something i call the "wondertonic" (sometimes called "vundertonik" for kicks)

lemon
    lime or
    orange, washed and sliced, not peeled

washed and sliced / chopped unpeeled ginger

cinnamon stick

bring a pot of water to a boil, reduce heat and add above ingredients. let sit for as long as you feel like. drink the tincture sweetened with a little local honey.

it's best to use local honey in case you are having allergic reactions to pollens or stuff in the air, but if you can't score local honey, then get the best honey you can afford.

when you have consumed all the liquid, simply pour more water in the pot and repeat until your tea is so weak that you need another batch. usually i get about 3 batches out of one pot.

i drink this as often as possible, especially in the winter. it can be any citrus for localvores.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    kayemme,

While your concoction sounds interesting,:flowerforyou: the original poster stated she has a citrus allergy, so.......guess it is not an option for her.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    kayemme,

While your concoction sounds interesting,:flowerforyou: the original poster stated she has a citrus allergy, so.......guess it is not an option for her.
    omg, i obviously can't read!

hahah... okay, nix the citrus. sorry 'bout that folks!
  • scarecrow41
    scarecrow41 Posts: 116
    Options
    The key is the ginger, though. Ginger has proven affects on settling the stomach.