Little Announcement - NSV

Options
So... Yesterday I had what was possibly the biggest NSV/Achievement in my life.

Six months ago I was struggling to walk, my joint problems were so bad. I wasn't *too* overweight, but i was uncomfortable. With Hydrotherapy, Physiotherapy, Physical Therapy and Gym 6 days a week, I got moving again and pain free.

Six weeks ago I took up running, and I decided I liked it. So for a little challenge, and to mark how far I've come, I entered myself into a 10k race.

Not just a fun run either, but a bonafide, Athletics contest, County-wide Road Race.

And Yesterday I competed in that race, and I finished it.

I may have come last (Who flamin' cares, I got a little announcement as I came in: "Here's the last runner in the Hampshire 10k, number 22 (Insert Name Here)" I have never been prouder of myself!). I kept it slow and steady, didn't try to compete with the seasoned runners, just wanted to be there and to complete it and I did. So a big thank you to all those who helped me get past my pre-race nerves, and to my husband, friends and family who came out to support me. It was worth it all, even the sunburn!

running_zps3d6071b3.jpg

Replies

• lynnej73
    lynnej73 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow...that is awesome!! Great job!!
  • lollypop114
    lollypop114 Posts: 31
    Options
    Aww Thank You!
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you! Great job! I only hope to be able to do a 5K someday, not sure I could ever do what you did! Feel proud, lollypop!
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Welldone!! That's fantastic. I did my first recently and felt proud as punch crossing the line. It's a great feeling of acomplishment.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! And in only six weeks too:)
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    That is great, way to go!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    WAHOO!!!! that is awesome! :drinker:
  • lollypop114
    lollypop114 Posts: 31
    Options
    The best bit about it was that all the athlete's that were competing and lapping me (the first guy did it in about 20 mins!!) were all passing me saying "Well done, keep going, you can do it!" I have never felt so encouraged and willed on.

The Runners there were wonderful, and a lovely runner who was playing sweeper on a bicycle on the day talked to me the whole way round, gave me some tips and just kept me going. It was a wonderful experience.

Just entered my next race, a 5k in June just for a bit of practice at speeding up!
  • skinnyforcruise2013
    Options
    That is so wonderful!!!! Good job.:flowerforyou:
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    You go girl! I know cheesey, but that is an awesome accomplishment. Keep up the hard work and you will be finishing with the seasoned runners. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • HikeThatMountain
    Options
    THAT is totally AWESOME! Congratulations! and so what if you came in last, you finished right, THAT is what is important!!

Don't you love running?! I'm hooked:)
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Well done - must be such an amazing feeling!
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Way to go! That's a great NSV! And, I'll bet you're hooked now! Keep it up!
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great first race all around! Congratulations!!
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You completed a 10k after only 6 weeks of running? That is an awesome accomplishment! Congrats! :drinker:
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    This is MOST EXCELLENT. :drinker: And you should be proud of yourself. A job well done! WHOOP!!!!!!!!!!
  • wowie69
    wowie69 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! Congratulations to you! So great!

I, too, am dealing with sore joints, etc. I see the doc Friday about them. Kind of scared, but not enough to stop me from signing up for two 5Ks later this year! I'm determined to do get better and do them both -- your story is EXCELLENT motivation! Thanks for sharing!
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Wow....Just WOW. What a great day for you. :)
  • cdstaufenbiel
    cdstaufenbiel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's so exciting! What an accomplishment!:smile:
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I don't see the "little" part of this at all!!! :noway: I'd be so freaking happy dancing proud at the moment if I were you!!! 6 weeks starting to run and you did 10 K!? Holy Batman!! :P :drinker: