Exercise calories? to eat or not?

Options
I'm just wondering how many people stick to their base calorie limit or eat the extra calories they've burned exercising. I motivate myself to workout by planning my extra snack (usually still under the calories I'm burning) and then reminding myself I can have it if I exercise. Does anyone else use the plan that way? If you don't do you feel like you're losing weight faster?
Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have to eat back some of them usually if i am at a deficit, but I usually only eat them if I am either hungry or after exercise I am below 1200 net so I eat back above that
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    There are tons of post on this topic if you do a search.
    I eat most of my exercise calories.
    Steph
  • softlyspoken68
    Options
    This is a way of life for me, i eat when i'm hungry and i don't eat when i'm not.....
    so if i want extra i do...
    i listen truly to what my body tells me though....
    i eat portions and i don't cheat myself...
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    This is a way of life for me, i eat when i'm hungry and i don't eat when i'm not.....
    so if i want extra i do...
    i listen truly to what my body tells me though....
    i eat portions and i don't cheat myself...

This is what I do as well. You want to fill your body up with good foods though. Not junk.
  • msamberlicious
    msamberlicious Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat them, you will lose weight a little probably quicker as your calorie intake is a little lower that day. However, I find that when I work out, I'm usually starving later so I usually do eat extra earned calories. I that is OK because since you have burned extra calories you will still be under your daily limit.
  • softlyspoken68
    Options
    i believe all foods, ALL can be eaten in moderation.
    i refuse to go without 'some' so called junk,
    that's not a way of life for ME, myself
    but, i do not sit around daily and fill up on junk
    just when i really really am in a situation where
    i have some
    it's some
    and not all day
    this isn't dieting for me, it's a lifestyle, not all situations can be controlled, but
    it can be moderate
  • softlyspoken68
    Options
    to answer that question though
    i do not eat all my cal's...
    sometimes if my body calls for it, i eat more...
    it's all about my body
  • slim4lyf
    slim4lyf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    According to my doctor and prior weight loss with supervision, and a few years with a well known Company where I learned how to count, just not calories, as well as working with a Nutritionist because of my daughters Pre diabetes,I should eat only about 50 % of my exercise Calories. I tried to eat more , used whatI exercised, reading and learning from a lot of people onhere, but I am not loosing weight at the rate I had set myself which is 1 pound per week. It is also an Age thing and Motabulism, as well as Hormon Therapie Issue for me . Started back up my 1200 plus half Exercise Calories last week and now I am starting to see better progress.

Conclusion, every BODY is different, and you might want to play and get the feel for what is right for you. Do not starve yourself, and do not go to Bed hungry. I eat 3 Meals, plus 3 Snacks a day. Have a long way to go where I once was and felt great.
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i believe all foods, ALL can be eaten in moderation.
    i refuse to go without 'some' so called junk,
    that's not a way of life for ME, myself
    but, i do not sit around daily and fill up on junk
    just when i really really am in a situation where
    i have some
    it's some
    and not all day
    this isn't dieting for me, it's a lifestyle, not all situations can be controlled, but
    it can be moderate

That is so true! If I really crave something, I eat it (but not to excess). Portion control is the secret for me. I do try to eat healthy most (95% plus) of the time but I look on the exercise and food things I am currently doing as lifestyle changes that I will need to maintain for the rest of my life. A little of what you fancy does you good but in the case of certain foods the emphasis may be on "a little"!
  • schwarzaj
    schwarzaj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
  • schwarzaj
    schwarzaj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    According to my doctor and prior weight loss with supervision, and a few years with a well known Company where I learned how to count, just not calories, as well as working with a Nutritionist because of my daughters Pre diabetes,I should eat only about 50 % of my exercise Calories. I tried to eat more , used whatI exercised, reading and learning from a lot of people onhere, but I am not loosing weight at the rate I had set myself which is 1 pound per week. It is also an Age thing and Motabulism, as well as Hormon Therapie Issue for me . Started back up my 1200 plus half Exercise Calories last week and now I am starting to see better progress.

Conclusion, every BODY is different, and you might want to play and get the feel for what is right for you. Do not starve yourself, and do not go to Bed hungry. I eat 3 Meals, plus 3 Snacks a day. Have a long way to go where I once was and felt great.

why not go to bed hungry? whats wrong with avoiding that late night snack?
  • urdaprincess
    Options
    lalouli...I am struggling staying within my numbers. I am going to keep a positive attitude and just do some adjusting. This is my 1st week and I am amazed at the amount of calories I am consuming. It is just a work in progress. I am also exercising; which I think is going to be the key to my weight lost. I am willing to exercise, but I eat wrong. So my biggest thing is learning how to eat correctly.
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering how many people stick to their base calorie limit or eat the extra calories they've burned exercising. I motivate myself to workout by planning my extra snack (usually still under the calories I'm burning) and then reminding myself I can have it if I exercise. Does anyone else use the plan that way? If you don't do you feel like you're losing weight faster?
    Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

Restricting intake too much risks going into "famine mode". What you are doing seems entirely logical. Personally I never consume less than my base intake but unless I am really, really hungry, I don't eat all my exercise calories. It has taken me over a year to get where I am now but I am still losing weight and have never felt better- both physically and mentally.
  • slg334
    slg334 Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm with you. I've been on here for a month, I only lost 3 pounds but I also gained it back. So I decided to look at my diary, and I noticed that I really didn't have enough of fruits and vegetables in my diet and I started to track my sodium, UNBELIEVABLE...so this week I purchased $20 of fruits and vegetables. I will eat more fruits as my snack instead of reduced fat cheez-it and so on. Stay in there, you can do it. I would have gave up but so many people on this website will keep you going. Perseverance is the key.
  • lalouli
    lalouli Posts: 41
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the great replies. I think what I'm hearing overall is that it's to a degree individual and to trust what's going on with your body. I want to make sure I'm feeding myself enough to stay energetic, but not reducing the benefit of working out by overdoing it. I think for me I need the carrot dangling there to keep me moving around the track, even if it's just my little sugar-free ice coffee! I appreciate all your help, everyone!
  • nikiswimr
    nikiswimr Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Laloui, I'm with you, I exercise so that I get to eat more and have a little room to eat those things that I occasionally really want :) I'll try to anticipate my exercise and spread out the calories over the day so I'm not eating an enormous meal at dinner. If I've already eaten the calories, it also keeps me accountable to exercise, so winning situation either way. I wouldn't be able to stick to the 1200 cals w/o my exercise cals!
  • slim4lyf
    slim4lyf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do not go to bed hungry because it is not good for the body to go without fuel all night. 3 meals 3 Snacks last one about an hour before Bedtime. That Snack is scheduled into my 1200 calorie day. No need to starve myself is there ?