if you can't pronounce it, you shouldn't consume it

Options
anawhatsme
anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
i've heard that said time and time again when people talk about clean or wholesome eating.
however, i have come across some healthy versions of recipes that call for some hard to pronounce things.
things like Erythritol and Xylitol.
to me, they don't sound very natural, but they are used in recipes deemed healthy.
so now i'm confused.
are these things good for me or not?
any input would be greatly appreciated because i am dying to make a cake that calls for these 2 ingredients.

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    'Dihydrogen monoxide.'

The name means nothing.

'Live badgers' - easy to pronounce, probably shouldn't eat.
  • AprilTom
    AprilTom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I dont know what erithrytol is but xylitol is a natural sweetener that is good for your teeth and helps protect against cavities.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think some degree of common sense is important. Letter of the law vs spirit of the law...
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    xylitol is a sugar alchohol. It's in the gum my daughter's orthodontists pushes because it neutralizes and even reverses the bacteria that causes decay. Because it's a sugar alcohol, consume to much, it can cause diarrhea. So I wouldn't say "good for you" but definitely a, moderation type thing if you choose to consume it.

I'll stick to letting my teenager with braces chew it in gum because she needs all the help she get to keep her teeth in top notch condition but personally, I'll bake with sugar and have a little when the mood suits me, working it into my daily calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    If most people lived literally by it, then there be not only less overweight people, but probably malnourished ones as well. The composition of an apple down to it's chemical components isn't pronouncable for many.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    If most people lived literally by it, then there be not only less overweight people, but probably malnourished ones as well. The composition of an apple down to it's chemical components isn't pronouncable for many.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

The “Nutrition Almanac” by Lavon J. Dunne gives us further nutritional information on the apple. In one medium apple weighing about five ounces we find the following constituents of vitamins and minerals; Vitamin A, B1, B2, and B6, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Folic acid, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Pottassium, Selenium, Sodium, and Zinc. The fats in the apple contain no cholesterol. Instead they are a blend of lipids, saturated, unsaturated and monounsaturated fats. In addition to fats the apple contains the other macronutrients of proteins, and carbohydrates. Other phytochemicals include; Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine. Trace amounts of Boron and Cobalt are found in apples.
    :laugh:
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Unfortunately, I can pronounce almost everything in 3 separate languages. Darn that education anyways!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Of course that is said as a means to get or assist people to not eat processed foods, that have many additives, preservatives, and other ingredients not found in most whole/clean types of food.

Everything isn't black/white..thinking in absolutes is rarely realistic.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Is the opposite true? Because I can pronounce bullsh!t, but I wouldn't care to consume it.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Dihydrogen monoxide.

It's very dangerous. It's in everything. It's in OUR BODIES. *shudders*

You ought to stop consuming it. IMMEDIATELY. And who can pronounce that, anyways?

(Well, you can call it water. I'll stick to making alarmist posts about chemical sounding names and how awful those things are.)
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    come at me bro with organic chemistry nomenclature...

I can eat anything I guess
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i've heard that said time and time again when people talk about clean or wholesome eating.
    however, i have come across some healthy versions of recipes that call for some hard to pronounce things.
    things like Erythritol and Xylitol.
    to me, they don't sound very natural, but they are used in recipes deemed healthy.
    so now i'm confused.
    are these things good for me or not?
    any input would be greatly appreciated because i am dying to make a cake that calls for these 2 ingredients.

How about this. Try using sugar. Problem solved.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    mayonnaise a lot of oversensitive people on these boards.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Pizza
    Cheeseburgers
    Steak
    French Fries

I an pronounce those..I'm good to go...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Theres a lot of foreign cuisines folks cannot pronounce. I can think of a buch of arabic and indian cuisine folks cannot pronounce. Would be not eat them? They super delicious and "healthy" imo
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Dude, have you heard of Daucus carota?

That **** has GOT to be toxic.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The “Nutrition Almanac” by Lavon J. Dunne gives us further nutritional information on the apple. In one medium apple weighing about five ounces we find the following constituents of vitamins and minerals; Vitamin A, B1, B2, and B6, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Folic acid, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Pottassium, Selenium, Sodium, and Zinc. The fats in the apple contain no cholesterol. Instead they are a blend of lipids, saturated, unsaturated and monounsaturated fats. In addition to fats the apple contains the other macronutrients of proteins, and carbohydrates. Other phytochemicals include; Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine. Trace amounts of Boron and Cobalt are found in apples.
    :laugh:

All of those grammatical mistakes are tearing me apart! :sad:
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    "Arsenic" is a rather simple word to say. I would strongly recommend against ingesting it.

It's a catchphrase that touts ignorance as a smart guideline. If you don't know what something is that doesn't mean it's harmful. It means you don't know what it is. Look it up and see if it's something you think you should avoid or not.

I shudder to think about what this world would be like without preservatives. They're a lifesaver.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I shudder to think about what this world would be like without preservatives. They're a FOODsaver.

See what I did there?