Stuffed Peppers

Options
Ashl3yS
Ashl3yS Posts: 64
I don't know if this is in the right spot because I don't have a recipe, I'm actually looking for one. Just wondering what exactly I could put in these to make them yummy & healthy? Thanks in advance if anyone can help out.

Replies

• Allieballie
    Allieballie Posts: 102
    Options
    Hiya. Do you mean the baked stuffed green peppers? Do you want a veggie recipe or meat? :)
  • JBake2008
    JBake2008 Posts: 1
    Options
    HI! I have a great recipe for stuffed peppers...I substitute MorningStar Veggie Crumbles for the ground beef so that it's lower in calories and my husband and I don't even notice the difference! I also subbed fresh garlic and onion for the powders...we love this recipe and I'm actually making it tonight for dinner! Hope you enjoy it and good luck with your weight loss goal!

Stuffed Bell Peppers

Ingredients
    1 pound ground beef
    1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
    1 cup water 6 green bell peppers
    2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Place the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 20 minutes. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the beef until evenly browned.
    Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.)
    In a bowl, mix the browned beef, cooked rice, 1 can tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Mix the remaining tomato sauce and Italian seasoning in a bowl, and pour over the stuffed peppers.
    Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, basting with sauce every 15 minutes, until the peppers are tender.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    you can get ground turkey sausage, mix in some onions, peppers, tomato sauce, and rice (cook it all first), then stuff it in the pepper itself. Place in baking dish & fill 1/2 way with water. Cook thoroughly until pepper is tender to touch.
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I made some a few weeks ago with a stuffing composed of a mixture of brown rice and lentils, onions sauteed in a little olive oil and a dash of curry paste , diced tomatoes and fresh basil plus lite salt and fresh ground black pepper.

The recipe calculator in "tools" is a good resource for homemade recipes!
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i put savoury rice in them and then have sausages or something with them :)
  • dawn33
    dawn33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    yummy I love stuffed peppers and my husband keeps asking for them!!
  • Ashl3yS
    Options
    This all sounds so good! Thanks for the replies everyone.

Allieballie, either or. I have never really had them but someone suggested it to me so thought I'd try it, so I'll probably try some with and without meat.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite healthy meals to make!

4-6 red or green peppers
    1 lb lean ground turkey or lean ground beef
    1/2 onion
    tops of the peppers using for stuffing, chopped
    1 cup al dente cooked cauliflower, shredded (I use this instead of rice - or use 1/2 c of brown rice)
    1 8 oz package sliced mushrooms
    1 14 oz can of chopped tomatoes in sauce
    4-5 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp italian seasoning
    salt & pepper

Cook ground turkey or beef, onions & peppers until meat is almost cooked through. Drain grease or water if needed. Add cauliflower, mushrooms, garlic, seasonings and tomatoes (reserving a few spoonfuls of the tomato sauce) and cook until mushrooms have reduced.

Spoon filling into the 4-6 peppers, depending on size. Top with reserved tomato sauce. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 1 hr.
  • Ashl3yS
    Options
    That sounds so good, I really like the idea of using cauliflower instead of rice. Thanks!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! This sounds tasty!
  • ICan1010
    ICan1010 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com has a great recipe for turkey & vegetable stuffed peppers:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Peppers-with-Turkey-and-Vegetables/Detail.aspx
    I never thought I'd love a stuffed peppers without ground beef and rice, but now we don't make anything but these! Yum!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I made a Rice-a-Roni Whole grains box and put that, along with lean ground beef, chopped green onions, some garlic powder in the pepper and wrapped them with one whole slice of bacon toothpicked into it. You could follow any of these recipes and adjust to whatever you have in your fridge. Just think your basic balanced meal: the pepper is the veggie, throw a protein and a starch/carb and whatever you want for flavor and you can't go wrong! SO good. Made these a month or so ago and bf LOVED them. Just as good as I remember my mom making them when I was younger!
  • lorimay7
    lorimay7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Instead of rice...substitute with cooked Buckwheat or Quinoa...