1200 vs 1500 again!

Options
13»

Replies

• IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't understand - if you're eating back all of your exercise calories and you're not losing weight, why you don't you try to not eat back your exercise calories rather than eating more?
  • IowaJen1979
    Options
    What is TDEE??? Where would I get this information? Thanks :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This. 1200 calories + not eating back exercise calories = your body thinks it's dying. If you eat 1200, exercise say 300 calories, you are NETTING only 900 calories/day. NOT healthy. Gotta eat back those exercise calories.

ETA if you were on life support in the hospital, they would tube feed you more than that. That's basically what your BMR is, the base amount of calories your body burns doing nada.

Not true. I have lost 40 pounds netting less than 900 calories. My body definitely doesn't think that it's dying. It feels happy and healthy.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Not true. I have lost 40 pounds netting less than 900 calories. My body definitely doesn't think that it's dying. It feels happy and healthy.

You had a significant amount of weight to lose, your progress likely will stop at some point eating that little. People who do not have as much weight to lose cannot cut as much without losing lean body mass.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with this...I eat 1200 (if I"m lucky, most days 1000) and work out anywhere from 300 to 900 cals a day and I'm losing weight pretty quickly!! 20 pounds in 2 months, 6.5 pounds last week actually after being on a plateau for 3 weeks.
  • IowaJen1979
    Options

You had a significant amount of weight to lose, your progress likely will stop at some point eating that little. People who do not have as much weight to lose cannot cut as much without losing lean body mass.

I've been losing steadily for 4 months and still going strong. When I hit a plateau I'll deal with it. I've discussed this with my doctor and she has no concerns. I trust her opinion. :-)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I've been losing steadily for 4 months and still going strong. When I hit a plateau I'll deal with it. I've discussed this with my doctor and she has no concerns. I trust her opinion. :-)

I was just pointing out that it doesn't work the same way for people who have less to lose. They cannot healthily take that large of a calorie deficit.
  • KDH80
    KDH80 Posts: 3
    Options
    I too have reached a plateau. I am very careful for the most part on what I eat. I have not lost any weight but gained weight, and I am eating 1200-1500 calories a day. I am going to up my calories this week and am going to try to eat 1800 calories a day and see if that changes anything. I really have nothing to lose...