Low energy level

Options
ken_hogan
ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
I wasn't sure where else to ask this, but I've been with MFP for about 6 weeks and I have also done Weight Watchers in the past, and I have never felt this way until several days ago. I have always been the type to wake up before my alarm clock and have always been a morning person. The past several days I've been needing my alarm to wake me up and have been feeling like I'm sleep deprived even though I get 6.5 to 7 hours of sound, solid sleep. My energy level had originally increased when I started eating better and tracking my intake, and I have also added running to my lifestyle which I have been doing at least a month now, several days a week, which I haven't increased so I don't think it is from added physical activity. I'm sluggish, don't feel rested, just feel like I'm lacking energy. I'm due for a phyical so I will be making an apointment soon, but I was wondering if anyone else went through something like this drop in energy levels?? Thanks!!

Replies

• samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I felt like that when I had low iron levels (anaemia). it's normally women who suffer from this but when you go for your physical it might be worth getting your blood iron levels checked out. Good Luck!
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    I felt like that when I had low iron levels (anaemia). it's normally women who suffer from this but when you go for your physical it might be worth getting your blood iron levels checked out. Good Luck!

Never thought of low iron. Some men's multivitamins don't have additional iron in them, including the one I take, so maybe it is possible mine is low. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • TOMEKA18
    TOMEKA18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I went to get my physical done and my iron levels were too low. My doc ended up giving me a B 12 shot.
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    I went to get my physical done and my iron levels were too low. My doc ended up giving me a B 12 shot.

Thanks....I am going to make my appointment later when I am on my lunch break. I will make sure to point out my energy levels when I talk to them.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal, and do you meet it? Do you eat back exercise cals?
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal, and do you meet it? Do you eat back exercise cals?

1980...I eat within a couple hundered calories of it and I do eat back my exercise cals.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I have found taking a b12 vitamin has helped me....and extra sunshine.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    6.5-7 hours isn't a lot of sleep. I try and aim for 7.5-8, that seems to do the trick. If you have been working out too, the body probably requires more rest than what you were getting prior to working out.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If you think you're getting enough sleep (I agree that 6.5-7 is a low) and eating well each day (including enough fuel) and hydrating then it's worth contacting your Dr. for a general blood panel (It's amazing how important general minerals and vitamins are important to your energy level.)

If you're not getting enough sleep and fuel and water- focus on that. These are the building blocks of life.

PS- Sounds like a lot of learned the hard way that a daily multi-vitamin isn't always enough.
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    I try my best with sleep, but with a 6 year old and 3 year old twins, it's not always easy to get close to 8 sometimes. :bigsmile:
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Are you eating more carbs than protein? Sometimes carbs make me really sluggish so I keep them as low as I can. I also don't get tons of sleep although I try...

How's your energy level during your workouts?

I second (or third, or ...) the blood work that others have suggested, as well as taking vitamin B. I take 2 coenzyme B-complex caps every day, mid-morning and mid-afternoon, and they seem to give me that little extra boost.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's possible it doesn't have anything to do with your diet. When I felt that way I had a sinus infection. Sometimes that is my first symptom.
  • Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Since I have started exercising, I need more sleep. I have also struggled with anemia my whole life, but for me, it's the added exercise that has made me more tired. I used to sleep about 6 1/2 hrs a night. I now need about 8. I've also heard overtraining can make you feel tired all the time.
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    It's possible it doesn't have anything to do with your diet. When I felt that way I had a sinus infection. Sometimes that is my first symptom.

A couple hours after my original post I started feeling feverish, no appetite, etc. so my lack of energy was from becoming ill. I don't remember losing my energy like that in the past when I was sick. I'm still not 100% but am feeling better than yesterday!