Infused Water? Count the Calories/Carbs?

Options
So I've started infusing my water... I drink between 100-128oz of water per day, and I wanted to add some flavor and some health benefits to my water... so today I added

1 Lemon
1 Lime
1 cup of raspberries
150 oz of Purified Water

MFP says this is 99 calories and 27 grams of carbs...

Do you add your calories from your infused water? 27 carbs seems pretty hefty for water... but since I'm not eating the fruit. just drinking the flavoring, is it really 27 carbs?

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• my3apsons
    my3apsons Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the fruit? I have an infusion water jug and I do not add the calories for the fruit because I don't end up eating it.
  • challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree..but very interesting post. I would hate to know that the water contained that many carbs. Maybe someone has looked into this. Are you doing low carb as well?
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree..but very interesting post. I would hate to know that the water contained that many carbs. Maybe someone has looked into this. Are you doing low carb as well?

Yes I am a low carber
  • crazyellybean
    Options
    Are you eating the fruit? I have an infusion water jug and I do not add the calories for the fruit because I don't end up eating it.

Nope not eating the fruit, but even the juice which is what flavors the water has calories/carbs
  • MMFernaays
    MMFernaays Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump...Very interested to hear how many carbs are in infused water.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine really any (or so extremely minimal as to not make it important) get infused. It's basically the same as herbal tea, right? And those are always listed as 0 calories.
  • crazyellybean
    Options
    Ok, well someone sent me this link

https://sites.aces.edu/group/human/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=967e45af-54bf-4ab1-a4ab-94c6778d278c&ID=35&Web=fcebe4fe-3c24-439b-9e28-bd0c07a3ad05

it doesn't explain why everything is zero, but I'm thinking since it's minimum that's why it's considered zero...

However, have not found anything that backs up why and if there are really any calories/carbs
  • dalimama66
    dalimama66 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I infuse mine with a few drops of essential oil. Lemon is a great detox-er and the bonus is no pesticides from the rinds. Lots of natural flavors....
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,084 Member
    Options
    If people like flavour infused water - that's cool.

I dont do it myself but seems there would be minimal calories in it - OP's 'recipe' over estimates them since it is allowing for eating all the ingredients, not just infusing water and then taking the fruit out.

But, No, it doesnt have any magic detox properties and page linked to by Mariannejose is pure detox woo nonsense.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    When I log lemon juice - which I use a lot in cooking - it has very few calories and the way I squeeze it means it probably has some pulp in it. I'd have thought that water infused with fruit etc would pretty much be zero
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    dalimama66 wrote: »
    I infuse mine with a few drops of essential oil. Lemon is a great detox-er and the bonus is no pesticides from the rinds. Lots of natural flavors....

OP, please do not do this. Essential oils are extremely concentrated and not meant to be taken internally -- the risk of overdose is high, and most essential oils contain irritant compounds.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    dalimama66 wrote: »

OP, please do not do this. Essential oils are extremely concentrated and not meant to be taken internally -- the risk of overdose is high, and most essential oils contain irritant compounds.

Not to mention the fact that they don't "detox" anything. Detox is a big load of B.S.