1st "regular" class of crossfit... I'm worried

Options
nashai01
nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
Hi, I just completed my foundation classes and today is my first day of the regular classes. I probably shouldn't have looked at the WOD but I did and now I want to skip the class today. I see there is a 1000 meter run today. Running is so hard for me. I wouldn't feel so bad if the run was at the end of the workout but its in the middle. I'm just worried about how embarrassed I'm going to be once finishing the run and having to go back inside to complete the rest of the workout with everyone waiting for me to finish. Can someone please give me some words of encouragement? I don't want to start off skipping classes because if I do it now, I'll skip every time I see a big run like this.

Did any of you have a hard time with your first class?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    so you want a class thats really easy?

surely the whole thing should be 'really hard' for you, thats the point isnt it? dont think about how bad you are at running NOW, think how much BETTER you will be after a few weeks of classes!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you can skip today and go tomorrow and do an easier WOD.

or you can go today, suck it up, and probably do better than you normally can.

last i checked, crossfit is more about supporting each other. no one there started at a high level of fitness.
  • alphameg
    alphameg Posts: 7
    Options
    You're going to be absolutely fine. Even if (which I think is unlikely) you're the last one to finish, the whole class will be cheering for you. Just push yourself as best you can. It will get easier as you do more of it. Good luck, and have fun!
  • Susan_fessler
    Susan_fessler Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been going for almost a year and sometimes I see the WOD and want to skip. If fact I really wanted to skip today, I looked at the WOD last night and thought maybe I will forget to set my alarm. But I went and finished the workout. There are things I am terrible at and it's fine. If you start skipping when your don't like something in the workout then you will always find a reason to skip. Go run your 1000 meters and be proud you did it.
  • nashai01
    Options

surely the whole thing should be 'really hard' for you, thats the point isnt it? dont think about how bad you are at running NOW, think how much BETTER you will be after a few weeks of classes!

I know I'm freaking out but I'm a go. Your post alone just slapped me in the face and you made a very valid point, this is exactly what I signed up for.

Thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I know I'm freaking out but I'm a go. Your post alone just slapped me in the face and you made a very valid point, this is exactly what I signed up for.

Thanks

you're welcome!

i wondered what the hell i was doing after the insanity fit test.... but now i love it!

if its not hard its not helping!
  • bagelc
    bagelc Posts: 3
    Options
    My advice is to listen to your intuition. Even with the intro classes , Crossfit is a very extreme exercise program that is much too intense for most people's needs. Crossfit has a high injury rate due to the extreme nature of the exercises and your best choice might be to leave the program now and explore some other fitness activities you might enjoy
  • nashai01
    Options
    So, I did the class yesterday. It wasn't bad at all. I didn't have to do the full 1000 meters because I'm new. I did everything else and the class went fast. I was worried for nothing. Thanks all of you for the advice.
  • jvnewberry
    jvnewberry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great work!

Facing your fears is a big component of fitness. Fear of workouts, fear of the next PR you want to hit, fear of what your life will look like once you break free of food issues, fear of meeting Pukie in front of the whole class...

You rock and you're braver than you believe.
  • nashai01
    Options
    Great work!

Facing your fears is a big component of fitness. Fear of workouts, fear of the next PR you want to hit, fear of what your life will look like once you break free of food issues, fear of meeting Pukie in front of the whole class...

You rock and you're braver than you believe.

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    When I used to do Crossfit I WOULD NOT look at the WOD ahead of time...the few times I did it I talked myself out of going. Once you're there you're stuck doing it.

Also I really really really sucked at running (and I hated it with a passion) when I first started, after that first year I became much better and was able to tolerate it more. I still don't like it but I'm much better at it, and actually I do mostly sprinting now.

Keep at it. It will get easier.
  • nashai01
    Options
    When I used to do Crossfit I WOULD NOT look at the WOD ahead of time...the few times I did it I talked myself out of going. Once you're there you're stuck doing it.

Also I really really really sucked at running (and I hated it with a passion) when I first started, after that first year I became much better and was able to tolerate it more. I still don't like it but I'm much better at it, and actually I do mostly sprinting now.

Keep at it. It will get easier.