Tone mid area - no crunches

Options
Hi,

I'd like some advice on toning and strengthening my middle torso - all of it not just 'abs'
Anyway.. I have diastasis recti where you've a gap between your stomach muscles and crunches end up with them doming and looking worse.
I need to lose some weight, and am doing some running. I'm up to about 5k about 2/3 times a week. The weight is going nowhere - but that's another story :)

To complement the cardio, I want to do some strength exercises to help with building muscle and toning up my wobbles BUT I can't afford a gym (I own no weights of any description - unless you count tins of beans)

Have you any advice please?
Thank you!

Replies

• mmk2988
    mmk2988 Posts: 43
    Options
    Planks works better
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats (especially front squats), bench press, deadlifts, pullups, push ups. I have visible abs with no crunches done.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Youtube has some pretty good HIIT workouts on it you could try.
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    I actually was just thinking about this, this morning. I started doing some yoga 3-4 times per week about 2 weeks ago and I have already noticed some nice changes in my core. Here is a link to the youtube video I started with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci3na6ThUJc

I feel wonderful afterward, and no crunches!
  • DickCardon
    DickCardon Posts: 1
    Options
    Check out scoobysworkshop.com. He has a lot of advice on working out with little to no weights, as well as some really good nutrition and health articles.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Planks and variants and Pilates core workouts. You might also see about purchasing some resistance bands. You can get them fairly heavy for fairly inexpensively. Then you could modify the bigger, compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, over head press, bench and bent over rows for use with the bands. Those all engage and work your core.
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Planks, Planks, and more Planks! They are your friend! :)
  • Ms_Gunn79
    Ms_Gunn79 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, I would suggest trying Pilates. You can borrow instructional books or workout DVDs from your local library for free, watch workouts on YouTube, or find some at very low cost on eBay/Amazon. Moves such as The One Hundred or The Roll Up are fairly easy to begin with, but you will definitely feel it in your core, which is the focus of all Pilates movements. You'll also feel it the next day when sitting up in bed. ;) As another user mentioned, Planks are a great exercise for your core as well -- work on building the time you can hold the position correctly.

I also agree with the suggestion of adding weights, as usmcmp mentioned.

Good luck!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats (especially front squats), bench press, deadlifts, pullups, push ups. I have visible abs with no crunches done.

What's a front squat?
  • PrimroseMac
    PrimroseMac Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OMG!! You people are amazing!

Thank you so much for the replies - and all so positive. Brilliant.

What should I do in terms of workouts/reps? Or what set of exercises to try.
    Love the idea of the planks (I say love! I think they'll be effective...)

I've done yoga for years. Am super flexible but need to push harder to get any muscle firmness.

You are all so great.
    Thank you again
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Standing abs: http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/l/blstandingabworkout.htm

Use a milk jug filled with water in lieu of a medicine ball
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

What's a front squat?
    It's just a squat you do with the bar in front of you, instead of on your back.
    They have a little different forms and whatnot
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    always looking for some good advice on abs lol
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym is an excellent workout book (and app) that requires no weights whatsoever.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Use a milk jug filled with water in lieu of a medicine ball

I was going to say this-you can fill empty jugs with rice or something too