PCOS

Options
Hi, Does anyone else on here have PCOS? and have a hard time with the weight coming off? I would love to talk and chat with you if anyone else is going through this and having the same problems. Thanks:smile::smile:

Replies

• JoyBellz
    JoyBellz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi, Does anyone else on here have PCOS? and have a hard time with the weight coming off? I would love to talk and chat with you if anyone else is going through this and having the same problems. Thanks:smile::smile:

You are NOT alone! There are many people on here that have PCOS, me included. I would be happy to be your friend. Feel free to send me a message anytime.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16. I'm definitely here if you ever need to talk. :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, thyroid problems, and diabetes... none of them have stopped me. Anything is possible when you put your mind to it, and don't let anything stop you!
  • CrazyCatLadee2
    CrazyCatLadee2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have had PCOS for 17 years - since I was 15 so I understand the battle very well. I have lost 50 lbs since being at my highest weight. I never thought it would come off but it has. I would love to say I found a miracle way to do it but I didn't. I added exercise first about a year and a half ago and several months ago I started watching my calorie intake. I do not deprive myself of anything - just eat in moderation and portion control. I found when I was cutting stuff out completely I wanted it that much more. It's been a slow struggle but it is one I finally feel like I am winning. I take different vitamins which seemed to trigger the weight loss and I am on Yaz now. I was on BC for 10 years and went off it for 5 without a cycle during that 5 years. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I would love to talk to you some more and theres a great book I can recommend you read but I am not able to access it right now. You can gain control over the PCOS and I offer any support and encouragement I can. I went to being the only person I know having it to several of my friends having been diagnosis the past few years so you are not alone. Oh, and light exercise not hardcare seems to really work well like walking and stationary bike. I also can recommend the Leslie Sansone walk away the pound dvds - she has a tone of them plus some toning with light weights.

Mandy
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I think it was easier for all of us to stick together and motivate and be there for each other!!!
  • DianneMoreno
    Options
    i feel your pain! i have nevvver, and i mean eeevvver- lost weight in my adult life. i started metformin 2 months ago, got a personal trainer 3wks ago, and started MFP 3 wks ago also. in the past 23 days i've lost 10lbs! all of these ingredients finally found me some sort of success in a struggle i have always lost. feel free to add me, as i completely understand all the struggles with PCOS...
  • chelleim
    chelleim Posts: 78
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with PCOS for about 12 years. It is definitely not fun to deal with. I managed to lose a bunch of weight at one point but then let myself fall back to bad habits and put it all back on. I am not ready to be healthy and am working on losing the weight again. Weight loss tends to be slower with PCOS but totally possible.

Good luck in your weight loss endeavors and don't get discouraged it can happen!

Feel free to add me and I am available to talk about successes and failures.
  • MandykinsK1980
    Options
    :wink: PCOS here!!!! Glad to know I am not the only person in the world!!!! I have so many questions about it, but have never asked cause the 2 drs I got the diagnosis from didn't do a lot of answering when I did ask! :ohwell: But I never contributed that to my inability to lose weight! I know when I drop even the slightest amount of weight....things happen!! I have looked up everything I can about it, but can't take anything for it!!!! Can't take BC cause I produce too much estrogen and not even YAZ helps! They knock me more out of balance!!! I have never let it stop me and have lost weight before!!! OK....now that my whole life story is out there!!! HA HA HA!!!!

Weight loss: I have been doing a mix of Weight Watchers and this sight and in the last 4 weeks have lost 13 lbs!!!! :smile: I have to say this has been one of the most successful attempts to date for me and I am loving every minute! This week I started working out (treadmill) and so we shall see how that works!!!

Well nice to know you fellow PCOSers!!!! Feel free to add me!!!! I am willing to give as much motivation as I can for anyone that really wants it as well as will take as much as I can get!!!! :wink:

Mandy
  • angrypanda
    angrypanda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP a few days ago, and found another thread that several people with PCOS replied to, so you've surely got a lot of people here who understand your troubles.

I've had problems in the past losing weight, too, but I've always thought that other factors (i.e. birth control, stress, depression) were factors. I'm going through a pretty stressful time right now, having just been told that I have PCOS out of nowhere. I'm 28 and just got married less than a year ago, so the news is all pretty rough to take in at once.

Anyway, good luck to you. Please feel free to message me if you want to talk more about it. Being as that it's so new to me, I'd love to hear from anyone and their experiences!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Yup - been diagnosed for 8 years, but I'm sure I've had it since I hit puberty. I can put the weight on, but it coming off is much more of a challenge. My biggest victory in the past 2 years is not fluctuating more than 10 pounds over that entire course. I started BC in March, April, May of this year and the weight started falling off (30 lbs in 3 months). Between May and July, when I was unmedicated, I gained back 10. Now on Metformin and it seems to be coming off again, but a little slower this time.

Work on lowering your intake of sugar, increasing your water intake and exercise. I treat it like diabetes.....at the doctor's request. Even if you have to really kick your own butt to do it, those three things will help you lose it or maintain where you're at. Medication is just as important though.

I was unmedicated until this year and until I'm back at goal weight, I know I can't go off the meds. I feel so much happier, healthier, my skin is clear, energized.....sometimes you just can't do it on your own.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Yep, got PCOS and other ailments. Like everyone here, I watch calories and exercise. I also watch the sodium and carb intake. The key for me has been staying under 180 grams of carbs/day. Usually, it's lower than that. What helped me, ironically, was being diagnosed with Diabetes. I was Insulin Resistant for years...typical of PCOSers. I'm now off the Diabetic meds and feeling better than I ever have in years.
    If you have questions or want to talk, feel free to add me. :) Glad to have you here!!

Also, a few years ago when I was having major female issues, there was another site that helped me. It's specifically for PCOS: SoulCysters.com It's chock full of info, advice and tons of ladies in our situation. :)
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    PCOS Here too! Deling with it since I was 14. The weight is coming off but it is a battle.