Coconut oil

Options
from what i've read-its magic in a jar. i have a persistant rash and decided to give the oil a try (two days of smearing it on, rash is less inflamed).

im also eating a tablespoon a day because, well, why not?

anybody else use it? any noticeable changes? and good uses i may not know about?

Replies

• laura0001
    laura0001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love this stuff. I use it on my skin as a moisturizer, in my hair as a conditioner, and in the kitchen! It is great for cooking instead of pam or other oils. I used to eat it plain but haven't recently. Just make sure you buy the organic unrefined kind!
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I use it in my cooking and on my cuticles. It really is an all purpose product, it has uses in every room in your house :)

I use it instead of olive oil in most of my cooking now.
  • emilyj2010
    emilyj2010 Posts: 2
    Options
    I tried putting it on scars and recent scratches and it did seem to make them less red. I tried putting it in my hair as a leave in conditioner like I have seen on pinterest but it made it too greasy, I tried putting it on my hair and then washing it out but it just took way to much to saturate the hair, and I didn't feel it was worth the results. I read a lot about pregnant women using it and it helps with tearing, even though I'm not pregnant or planning to be anytime soon. I figured it would still be good for it, so I started using it as a lubricant.

I have also heard of people using it as a makeup remover by itself, mixing it with baking soda for a face wash, or adding enough baking soda to make it a solid and using it as deodorant, which I am skeptical of.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasions I bake, I use it instead of, or half and half with butter in cookies. MMMMMM. Also, great for stir frying, though I don't get the point of just eating a spoon of fat for no reason. Cook with it sure, but ...I mean who eats just a TBS of butter? Healthy or no, that's just weird to me. I tried it and yeah, no.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasions I bake, I use it instead of, or half and half with butter in cookies. MMMMMM. Also, great for stir frying, though I don't get the point of just eating a spoon of fat for no reason. Cook with it sure, but ...I mean who eats just a TBS of butter? Healthy or no, that's just weird to me. I tried it and yeah, no.

i mix it in coffee to up my fat intake and calories :) tastes better in coffee than peanut buttee
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It is really good for your skin and hair, and it is even supposed to help cure mono. I love it for baking cookies personally. However it has so many calories I really try to avoid eating it unless I need a baking substitute.
  • fddc2cpa
    fddc2cpa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have used it on our 2 yr old daughter's diaper rash and it works really well... very soothing for her too.
  • araromi2
    araromi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I use a mixture of coconut oil and Shea butter to avoid getting stretch marks...no matter how much my weight fluctuates...im stretch mark free
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I use it a lot for cooking. And when my hands are REALLY dry I use a bit. And to help absorb my daily vitamin I eat a bit. I am considering finding a "recipe" online for hair conditioner using it. It's great for dry cuticles. I just really love the stuff!!! It's like WD40 for women!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I use it for my daughters eczema, make up remover, shaving cream, cuticles, moisturizer (I mix it with my aveeno lotion), foot soak, lubricant, I tried the hair thing, didn't care for it too much. I also feed a very small amount to my cat.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I mix my PB2 with coconut oil and dip apple slices in it. YUM! I also use it for stir-frys. I use coconut butter on toast or sweet potatoes. I'm in LOVE with it.
  • calaz84
    calaz84 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use it for everything!!!! Hair, skin, lube hehe, use it in shakes, on toast, in oatmeal, Its helped with candida as well as getting rid of my minor eczema, my hair has almost no split ends, I do notice it helps me get rid of everything when I go number 2 I mean everything lol.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've used it for all of the above - including as deoderant (along with a dusting of baking soda - it does work pretty well, but it's NOT an antipersperant).

Conditioner for hair and skin. Lube. Make-up remover. Deoderant. Cooking. Baking. As a sunscreen.

Truly: I use it all the time.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I tried putting it on scars and recent scratches and it did seem to make them less red. I tried putting it in my hair as a leave in conditioner like I have seen on pinterest but it made it too greasy, I tried putting it on my hair and then washing it out but it just took way to much to saturate the hair, and I didn't feel it was worth the results.

Use coconut MILK and honey instead... leave on for 15 minutes. I just found this "recipe" but it had good reviews.
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It is a pretty amazing substance there is a small book "The Miracle of Coconut Oil" and yes it is a saturated fat, but it is a good type of saturate. And a very unique chain fatty acid. The best form of it is Extra Virgin cold pressed. It should be used as your cooking oil when cooking at high heats as it is the last oil to burn. Olive Oil should not be cooked with at high heats, contrary to what you see on the cooking network as it burns at low heats, it is best for salads.

There have also been studies on EVCO as helping to lose weight so eating it in a shake or on its own can be beneficial to weight lose dispite it being high in fat and calories. It is very good for skin, some people use it in homemade skin care products or if they have severe dry skin areas applied directly. Check out the website earthclinic.com for all the uses that people are putting it to for natural health purposes.

Another product to research is Apply Cider Vinegar with mother.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/80-uses-for-coconut-oil/

OK, some of these are just whack-a-doodle LOL ...... but I do use a little when frying eggs or doing a veggie stirfry ......

And I might try the mix of coconut oil & sugar to use as a face scrub ...... maybe it'll help :laugh:
  • madelonism
    madelonism Posts: 292 Member
    Options

i mix it in coffee to up my fat intake and calories :) tastes better in coffee than peanut buttee

i also put it in my coffee. use it as eye makeup remover and sometimes throw a tbsp in a hot bath
  • monicat2012
    monicat2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Love it in my coffee and oatmeal. Moisturizer and make up remover.

I have read about it for oil pulling as well. Haven't tried it yet.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a jar with the idea of using it in place on EVOO, but haven't gotten there yet.

Never thought about putting it in my coffee or oatmeal tho! great ideas.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I use it in the place of butter on my morning toast. For rashes you can use a home made paste of turmeric powder and either coconut oil or caster oil. It will help and sooth it. The turmeric powder with color it yellow for a few days but it will get rid of the rash.