What exercise is ok when ill with a cold?

Options
I'm feeling pretty lousy as I have a horrible cold, I haven't done any exercise since Sunday and I'm worried about letting everything slide. Should I listen to my body and totally rest or is light exercise ok e.g. a short walk or some stretches? I've heard conflicting reports about exercising when you're unwell although obviously I'm not planning to do any heavy cardio etc. Any kind advice would be gratefully received. Thanks! :)

Replies

• Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I heard once that if you have a cold and it is still in your head it may actually be helpful to do some light cardio but if it is done in your chest that you should rest until it clears up. I don't know how true this is but it has worked for me.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I did light exercise when I was sick a few weeks ago. Nothing near my normal activity level but it was enough I didn't feel like a total slug. I didn't have anything in my lungs though, I probably would have taken it easy and skipped activity if it had been in my lungs.
  • Jme2209
    Jme2209 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/AN01097

Listen to your body :)

Good luck!
  • Fish_Fuzz
    Fish_Fuzz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Could be a placebo effect but during the winter months if I started to feel congested I did any kind of workout to get my body temp up. I have been known to get on the treadmill and put it on an incline and to a medium paced walk while watching tv just so I'd start sweating then eventually the sinuses would let loose and I could clear my ears again.
  • mtbaker64
    mtbaker64 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The trainers that I have worked with and my chiropractor all say light excersize is good and helps move the cold out. But, careful not to over do and drink plenty of water. :flowerforyou:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    rest and fluids.
  • lundii
    lundii Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    rest and fluids.

this!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you feel sick, rest. You're not going to lose all of your progress from not working out for a few days.
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I had strep about 2 weeks ago. The first day I felt sick I rested. Then after that on the 2nd and 3rd days, I was back at it on my 30 Day Shred video.

However, I'd say it's ok to rest a few days if you feel like resting. Just make sure you're eating healthy and get back to your exercise routine once you're feeling better.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I will usually try to do something light, although not if I really really can't (like those days that taking a shower requires a nap afterward). Once I start, my body will tell me if I can keep going or need to stop.
  • droidrunner
    droidrunner Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a head cold right now and I have been excersing moderately on the eliptical but haven't been going to my yoga classes. I don't know if it has helped but it makes me feel better. Good luck.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Agree with others. The reason is that light-moderate exercise slightly increases your body temp, creating a "fake fever". The reason your body gets a fever is to kill off bacteria or viruses. By simulating this, you can give your immune system a little help. However, if you just feel gross, especially with a real fever or a bad cough, and would rather sleep all day, rest is very necessary and you should do that instead. Also, don't worry too much about missing a few days if that's what your body needs, you'll get back to it as soon as you feel better.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Don't do exercise. Sit in bed, get better. Your diet will do the work, 'little' exercise won't help
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very very much for getting back to me!

I think the cold is in my head but I feel very run down and it took all my effort to shower earlier. I might go for a walk just so I get outside for a few minutes and move my body a little but I'll leave it at that. Thanks again to everyone who replied! :)
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Anything and everything; I've never "sat out" from exercise due to a cold. I've sat out from a hernia (forced by the doctor - it turned out to be a pulled groin not a hernia) and I didn't exercise when I had the H1N1 thanks to our movers; I thought I was dying or maybe I just wished I'd die and get it over with. Other than that...I don't skip exercise for anything.
  • corderdeb
    corderdeb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you're spreading germs stay home...I don't want what you have.
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you're spreading germs stay home...I don't want what you have.

Wasn't planning to exercise in a gym or anywhere enclosed, aside from my home where I live alone.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering about this. I feel like I am getting a chest type of cold ( it is autumn here) and I am so damn tired & a bit spaced out right now and it's only 10.12 am. Sitting here at work in a mood.

I usually do Muay Thai tonight and it is very very full on & you def need your wits and energy about you when you are doing a load of kicks plus holding the pads ! oh can't forget all the push ups, situps, burpees !! I love it though .
    I hate the idea of missing it though.