Really fallen off the "wagon"

Options
A few weeks ago I was told by my kidney doctors that my kidney function is decreasing at a rather rapid rate. I was told I had 10-20+ years, but now it seems I only have a few years. At my next appointment they are looking to refer me to the hospital that does the transplants, with the possibility of my Dad being a living donor.

Before then, I was eating well, having treats but having a nice balance between healthy and "naughty" anyway, since the news, I stopped logging, and also have not been to the gym. It has been two weeks now. I have now seen the renal dietician who has given me a list of the fruits and veg I can eat, what I have to limit and what I have to avoid. I also have to watch how much eggs and diary I have.

So, tomorrow, it is back to the gym and back to eating properly. I don't want to lose any more weight, just get in to shape, but even that is proving difficult as I have been told to "avoid isometric exercise, as it increases blood pressure (I think whilst it is being done), but isotonic exercise is OK" I don't know if that means ANYTHING to anyone, but to me it is "blah blah blood pressure, blah, blah"

Ugh, why can't things be straight forward!?

Replies

• EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh here is my blog if anyone wants to read up more about it. Not that interesting though LOL

http://scrapheaphuman.blogspot.co.uk/
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, you are facing some challenges that most "dieters" do not so it is important to take care of you ok?. The better shape you are in the better surgery will go so getting in some exercise is great. Don't beat yourself up for falling off after news like that, I can't imagine having to take that all in.. I imagine I would have done the same thing!!! Hang in there and we are all rooting for you !!;
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    These are questions for your doctor, not MFP forums. Do they want you to even lose weight?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! How scary! I can see how that would throw your nutrition and exercise to the back burner. I don't have any advice, just support. :ohwell: I pray everything works out for the best!
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the UK healthcare system - but would a trainer be a covered expense? Some private insurances in the US cover personal trainers if your condition allows and your GP writes a "prescription" for it. Might help take some of the guess work out.
  • EmmaReed84
    Options
    These are questions for your doctor, not MFP forums. Do they want you to even lose weight?

I am not asking any specific questions on here, I am on the motivation and SUPPORT board, to seek a bit of motivation and support... funnily enough.

My docs do not want me to lose weight as I have a BMI of 22, In fact, I have lost weight that my blood pressure has come down slightly naturally, meaning I can take one less BP tablet.

Sorry my post has annoyed you in some way, I honestly thought this was the place to come for some support and a bit of a nudge, I must have been wrong :/
  • EmmaReed84
    Options
    I don't know anything about the UK healthcare system - but would a trainer be a covered expense? Some private insurances in the US cover personal trainers if your condition allows and your GP writes a "prescription" for it. Might help take some of the guess work out.

We don't get that here unfortunately, but luckily, the gym I go to, there are three excellent trainers, I mean they are FAB! They have helped and supported me loads, but I have not been back since exercise advise, but they have said they will work with me. plus they also do my circuit training, so no doubt they will find a way to keep me in shape ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

It doesn't take an MD to answer:

"Ugh, why can't things be straight forward!?"

Don't bring butthurt into the thread.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Knowing that I am probably headed there before long myself, I started reading up on that diet. Such a long list of things to avoid! Do the best you can to take good care of yourself and find a path to health.