Europeans, I'm in need of some ideas for a holiday!

Options
NYCNika
NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
We are planning a 2 week trip (up to 17 days, to be more exact).
I already have planned - 5 nights in London, possibly 1 night in Oxford, 3 in Lille and 2 in Maastrich.

What would be a great idea for the remaining 4-5 days?

Ideally, it would be a beautiful town not too far from my other destinations, where I could scout out for our next years vacation, when I will want to rent a nice house for a whole month and bring our toddler son along, to spend a month in a beautiful setting, clean, safe and green environment, with some culture and good food around. Netherlands seems like a good candidate because everyone speaks English. But are there any other countries/towns that may fit that bill very well and I am overlooking?

Replies

• xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Scotland is ace!! Everyone speaks English and they are very hospitable. There are a few big cities but they don't feel like it when you are exploring them and when traveling you'll not go too far between hamlets, villages and towns. I've been twice and would go back in a heartbeat! Sounds like you have a great trip planned already :)
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Have you been to Brugge, Belgium? It's very lovely and communication shouldn't be a problem at all! Also anywhere on the Rhine or the Mosel in Germany is just lovely, especially in the summery weather. Salzburg is a bit off your past, but is a wonderful little bavarian town. And I always reccomend Prague to everyone ... just because it's my favorite city ever!
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't want to diss Lille but... What about Paris, it's only about 3.5hr from Lille, even less if you use the train i think. Brussels is beautiful too
    JC
  • nicolecassandra
    Options
    Scotland and Wales since you're already in the UK
  • What316
    What316 Posts: 563
    Options
    Ibiza it really is that good promise !
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Because you are already going to Maastricht and Lille, check out either Antwerpen or Gent. Skip Brussels and Paris. Or as the other poster said, the Mosel wine region of Germany (Saarland, Trier). You can't go wrong!
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are renting a house for an extended period, a year in advance is enough time for you to learn some Dutch, German, or French (Dutch being by far the easiest). Don't let the language scare you! The Belgians especially love it when you at least try to speak their local language (Dutch in the north, French in the South).
  • M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Amsterdam is a great city to walk around and explore. Easily accessible from when you plan to visit or leave London.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Scotland is ace!! Everyone speaks English and they are very hospitable. There are a few big cities but they don't feel like it when you are exploring them and when traveling you'll not go too far between hamlets, villages and towns. I've been twice and would go back in a heartbeat! Sounds like you have a great trip planned already :)
    Thank you, Scotland may be a great idea. Can you suggest particular towns? There are so many!
    I'll probably call out for input from Scotts when I narrow down my requirements a bit.
    Also, if you are renting a house for an extended period, a year in advance is enough time for you to learn some Dutch, German, or French (Dutch being by far the easiest). Don't let the language scare you! The Belgians especially love it when you at least try to speak their local language (Dutch in the north, French in the South).
    I'm currently studying Mandarin (going to class 3 times a week) and will probably need to add Spanish too. I'm afraid adding another language into this mix, and at the same time, will be too much. I will end up learning neither.
    Amsterdam is a great city to walk around and explore. Easily accessible from when you plan to visit or leave London.
    I like Amsterdam, however, it is not the city I would choose to spend a month with a toddler. It can be a bit seedy at times and, coming from NYC, I'm looking for greenery and calm for my vacation.
    May 06, 2013 19:15
    I don't want to diss Lille but... What about Paris, it's only about 3.5hr from Lille, even less if you use the train i think. Brussels is beautiful too
    JC
    We spend a week in Paris and did all the "must" cultural attractions. I'm looking for a smaller place this time. Something more walkable, less touristy, but with great french food. And Lille is only 1.5 hours away from St. Pancras station.
    Have you been to Brugge, Belgium? It's very lovely and communication shouldn't be a problem at all! Also anywhere on the Rhine or the Mosel in Germany is just lovely, especially in the summery weather. Salzburg is a bit off your past, but is a wonderful little bavarian town. And I always reccomend Prague to everyone ... just because it's my favorite city ever!
    Brugge, Salzburg, Antwerpen, Gent... will note to look into. Though in smaller German towns, I might have a language problem.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Glasgow and Edinburgh are amazing - along the central belt of Scotland. I'm partial to Edinburgh with the 'old and new town' - Princess Street, etc. and Edinburgh Castle which houses the Scottish Crown Jewels. So much history there and a great walk also. Stirling which isn't far from Edinburgh has the Wallace Monument (Braveheart) which is situated on a hill and overlooks the countryside. It houses William Wallace's claymore. My favorite place though is Glencoe in the Highlands. It's a daytrip from Glasgow and back. It's the wee villages along the way that you'll truly get a sense of the people, the history, the culture and the magic!! I'm not from Scotland though my husband is and much of his family is still there.
  • zazielascaux
    zazielascaux Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Berlin. Very varied cosmopolitan city and not too expensive.
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    Anywhere along the coast of Spain; great views, great beaches and most importantly the best churros and fresh seafood paella you could have!