BMR TDEE?

Options
Can someone please help me to understand how these relate to MFP? Are they already calculated? Do I calculate them? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MFP does all the calculations for their method.
    MFP does not calculate TDEE. TDEE includes BMR, daily activity and exercise. MFP factors in BMR and daily activity. It expects you to log exercise and eat those calories back.

When you through the setup, you input your information and are asked to select and activity level. Then you choose a weight loss goal and MFP gives you a calorie goal. If you chose to lose weight, this number is at a deficit, so if you eat that number, you should lose weight without doing exericse. As noted, if you exercise, you are creating a larger deficit. Since many recommend you maintain a modest deficit, it is recommended you eat those calories back to maintain a modest deficit.

Of course, there are issues with estimating calories, regardless of method (HRM included). Some people choose to eat only a portion of the calories back.

I've figured both my TDEE and followed MFP, I end up in pretty much the same spot.
  • rml1108
    rml1108 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much. I was really confused as to whether I had to eat all of those calories back because some days it seemed like a lot and I was not hungry. A modest deficit makes sense. I really appreciate your help :)