Artificial Sweetners

Options
What do you use for your sweetners, beside sugar. I've been using Splenda for many years, which BTW is approved for diabetics by the American Diabetic Association. I've heard pros and cons about all of them but just curious as to what everyone else is using. If you are using artificial sweetners, did your Dr. recommend it or are you just doing it on your own. I have a Dr. appt. next week and I'm going to ask him about it......Have a great day everyone and I look forward to seeing your comments.:drinker:

Replies

• recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    If I want sugar, I use real sugar (white sugar, brown sugar, or honey). I do not ever use artificial sweeteners, nor do I buy any products with them in it.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I skip the sugar whenever I can (sometimes it takes a little getting used to, I'll admit). If I really need it, I go honey or stevia. Last resort is raw sugar. I do not trust any foods that are made in a laboratory and have ingredients I can't pronounce, but that's just me. Each their own ;-)
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I use Nectresse (made by Splenda). 100% natural & made from Monk fruit. I pick up the little containers from Target. Also comes in little packets. Right now the target website also has a printable coupon for $2 off :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I used to use aspartame until it started giving me headaches a few years ago. Now I use splenda, 1 - 4 of the single serving packets a day in my coffee.
  • photosarah
    photosarah Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would try to avoid artificial sweeteners. If you are able to wean yourself off them, you'll end up craving less sweet things in general. That being said, Splenda is better than Equal or Sweet 'n Low. I just use raw sugar when I need to add sweetness (a little every once in a while should be fine).
  • TiaFerrera
    TiaFerrera Posts: 93
    Options
    I avoid if at all possible any kind. But like morning coffee still gets 2 table spoons of regular processed sugar. When foods are created in labs it irks me out. And I dislike the flavor of artificial sweeteners so much that I'd rather skip it (like diet soda which isn't good for you anyway) But i have to admit I like the "water enhancers" with Surcrose in it, but I like them because I can regulate how much I use. Over all though I avoid sweet treats anyway
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I use only honey or sugar. All others give me severe migrains and end up in the ER.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Stevia tastes good.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Truvia. But have not tried some of the others. It works for me.
  • luckyartist
    luckyartist Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Avoid the sweetners. Using the real sugars, white/brown/honey/etc, isn't as bad as people think. The key is moderation and to keep track of the sugar you are getting in other places. :-)