Help!! I've got my TDEE, BMR, RMR all muddled!!!

Options
Ok I have tried to figure this all out on my own honestly but it is just doing my head in. So I am hoping that someone who knows how this all works can help, pretty please :)

So I have calculated that my
TDEE 2796
BMR 1804

I have my calorie goal set at 1630 but I usually eat around 300-400 more a day as I eat back about half of my exercise calories. I only eat back half because I don't have a HRM and I am not sure how much I trust various phone apps, MFP calculations and so on.

So my question is, have I got this right. I have hit one plateau back in March but at that point I was only eating 1200 calories and it was obviously way too low. So I have increased it. I am currently still losing so I guess that is a good sign but I am dreading hitting a plateau again so I was hoping to avoid that by getting it right first time in.

I have a lot to lose and I would like to try to lose 2lb a week for a while longer, once I get under 200lbs I'll be happy with a 1lb a week loss. I mean I am obviously happy with any loss every week but would prefer to see it come off at a rate of 2lb.

Currently I am not eating particular clean and I am not paying much attention to Macros. I need to get my head round this first before I can figure that side of things out and again I think that is something I will focus on more intently once I am under 200lbs.

I would be grateful for any help, advice, opinions and sure if my question has seemed inane and annoyed you go ahead and give me a slap. I can take it lol!

Replies

• EmmaJackson130
    EmmaJackson130 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Really can no one can advise me on this?
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    CHeck this web page out. It has all the info you're looking for including several different ways to calculate your BMR and factor your activity level

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    What *I* would do with your TDEE and BMR is set your calorie goal to TDEE minus 20%. In other words, set it at 2236 and leave it there - don't eat back any additional calories from exercise, even if you happen to exercise a bit more that day.

And read the link jaygreen55 posted. :)
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 1800ish you shouldn't be eating under that number...
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Ok I have tried to figure this all out on my own honestly but it is just doing my head in. So I am hoping that someone who knows how this all works can help, pretty please :)

So I have calculated that my
    TDEE 2796
    BMR 1804

I have my calorie goal set at 1630 but I usually eat around 300-400 more a day as I eat back about half of my exercise calories. I only eat back half because I don't have a HRM and I am not sure how much I trust various phone apps, MFP calculations and so on.

So my question is, have I got this right. I have hit one plateau back in March but at that point I was only eating 1200 calories and it was obviously way too low. So I have increased it. I am currently still losing so I guess that is a good sign but I am dreading hitting a plateau again so I was hoping to avoid that by getting it right first time in.

I have a lot to lose and I would like to try to lose 2lb a week for a while longer, once I get under 200lbs I'll be happy with a 1lb a week loss. I mean I am obviously happy with any loss every week but would prefer to see it come off at a rate of 2lb.

Currently I am not eating particular clean and I am not paying much attention to Macros. I need to get my head round this first before I can figure that side of things out and again I think that is something I will focus on more intently once I am under 200lbs.

I would be grateful for any help, advice, opinions and sure if my question has seemed inane and annoyed you go ahead and give me a slap. I can take it lol!

So, I think you are making this harder than it needs to be. TDEE is TOTAL daily energy expenditure - exercise calories already factored in so you don't eat them back. You should eat at a 20% or maybe 25% deficit (but I think 25% may be too much...not sure) from your TDEE. 25% deficit is around 2000 calories a day - so maybe that would be ok (about 2lbs per week). Also, focus on 1gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass - for me that means 120 grams per day - and let the rest of the macros fall where they may for now. You may want to adjust your focus later on to include carbs or fats...but protein is the most important.

Remember to recalculate TDEE every 10 pounds or so.
  • EmmaJackson130
    EmmaJackson130 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)

I've checked out the website suggested and its given me 2269 calories per day, that obviously allows for exercise as I set my activity level that way. So Bekahrogers I think you could be right. I've been eating around 2000 so I guess if I can up it a little more :)

Just have to be careful now not to spend all those extra calories on sugar!

Thanks again for taking the time to help a gal out :)
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    NO...If you eat BMR then you are maintaining.

1. Have you updated your settings to your current weight and activity?
    2. Your body learns and adjusts....change it up...either eat all of your workout, or none of them. A change creates change.
  • jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    NO...If you eat BMR then you are maintaining.

1. Have you updated your settings to your current weight and activity?
    2. Your body learns and adjusts....change it up...either eat all of your workout, or none of them. A change creates change.

TDEE is maintenance with daily activities - BMR would maintain in a coma.