Should I start lifting heavy weights?

Options
I'm just wondering what results people, especially other women, have got from doing low reps/heavy weights instead of high reps/lighter weights? I'm currently doing the 30DS and was going to move on to Ripped in 30 after but I've seen quite a few posts with women saying how much more effective heavy lifting is at toning and sculpting your body.

I'm 5ft 2" and trying to lose 10 - 15lbs and I was thinking of trying it out and although I don't have a gym membership (can't afford it), I could probably buy some weights and learn routines online. But is it worth it or should I stick to my dvds?

Replies

• Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I really want to as well. I would like to buy a bench set with weights.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    It will be great..lift heavy for YOU...you CAN stick to your DVDs but I personally would find a routine online such as fitness blender workouts or Nerdfitness which have a really good beginner strength programme you can follow, it's what I'm doing at the moment and although to start you will be using your own body weight, it's something you can progress up to. I'm now doing it with a 24lb weights and do military push-ups.
    Or you can gets some weights and try 5x5 or new rules of lifting for women. Aim for three times a week with a rest day in between.
  • violetrix
    violetrix Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I might try the body weight work outs first. As a beginner, when should I start using weights and how heavy should they be?
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    Thanks! I think I might try the body weight work outs first. As a beginner, when should I start using weights and how heavy should they be?

The best program for beginners is Stronglifts 5x5. You start with just the olympic bar with no weights on it. Go to stronglifts.com to learn about the program.
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think Nia Shanks has some of the best programs for women and for beginners in particular.

http://www.niashanks.com/shop/category/complete-guides-manuals/

Otherwise, I would recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I jumped right in with combination of body weight and Olympic bar exercises (following NROLFW). I was only able to start squats with the bar (45#) but in 5 weeks upped it to my body weight. I say pick a program and jump right in!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

heavy is realtive to what you can lift 3-6 times.

if you have to start low, thats fine. you will progress.

you don't need to start with body weight work outs. you can hit the weights right away.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

you don't need to start with body weight work outs. you can hit the weights right away.

^ This. I had never lifted anything heavier than a 5 lb dumbbell before and I started the Stronglifts 5x5 program. It may feel embarrassing to start off with such low weights, but it's worth it. I started off with some pretty low weights. :blushing: That way, there was no where to go but up! The badass feeling you'll feel as you start increasing the weights is awesome.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you should do the workout you enjoy since you're likely to stick with it. But experiment regardless. Some folks like running, some like boxing, some like lifting. Do a workout you enjoy.

Lifting gives amazing results. No doubt about it but you can get a 6 pack from boxing or other intense cardio too. If you are looking for weight lifting though, I would suggest giving it a solid, good attempt. May I interest you into looking into stronglifts which is a lifting program I use. google it and check it out. You will dig it I think :)
  • hot2def
    hot2def Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is great for you. So is cardio. Why not do both?

ETA: I meant cardio as in the dvds you were also considering.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy weights is awesome. I'll put another vote in for Stronglifts or Starting Strength. Here is a group for you to check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

If you would rather start with bodyweight exercises, try nerdfitness.com for workout ideas.

Like Taunto said, find what is fun so that you will do it.
  • violetrix
    violetrix Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info :) Could I do these programs with just an adjustable set of dumbbells? There's just no way I could fit a barbell in my tiny student room
  • don3rd1981
    don3rd1981 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just about any exercise can be done with dumbbells that can be done with barbells. The exception are few, such as squats. But in place of squats you can do dumbbell dead lifts.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    Just about any exercise can be done with dumbbells that can be done with barbells. The exception are few, such as squats. But in place of squats you can do dumbbell dead lifts.

The loading parameters are not comparable. Your statement is incorrect.
  • melaniecmajors
    melaniecmajors Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering what results people, especially other women, have got from doing low reps/heavy weights instead of high reps/lighter weights? I'm currently doing the 30DS and was going to move on to Ripped in 30 after but I've seen quite a few posts with women saying how much more effective heavy lifting is at toning and sculpting your body.

I'm 5ft 2" and trying to lose 10 - 15lbs and I was thinking of trying it out and although I don't have a gym membership (can't afford it), I could probably buy some weights and learn routines online. But is it worth it or should I stick to my dvds?

I just started a lifting program that my husband has been doing himself. It's exactly that - low reps, high weight. I JUST started so I can't really give you any feedback but you can friend me and watch my diary and progress if you want to. For the past few months, I've been doing a lot of cardio - spinning, running, and I love the Insanity program. If you just want to move your own body weight around, then Insanity is a great program for that. I feel very strong after that workout. Eventually though I think you'll have to move on to incorporating weight lifting into your workouts. That's what happened to me.
  • melaniecmajors
    melaniecmajors Posts: 39 Member
    Options

^ This. I had never lifted anything heavier than a 5 lb dumbbell before and I started the Stronglifts 5x5 program. It may feel embarrassing to start off with such low weights, but it's worth it. I started off with some pretty low weights. :blushing: That way, there was no where to go but up! The badass feeling you'll feel as you start increasing the weights is awesome.

Interested in your stronglifts plug. I just started the program. Did you get those abs from stronglifts?!? If so, sign me up! LOL
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My results from lifting heavy weights and low reps is 100X more dramatic than my previous low weight/lots of reps. I have gained 3 lbs and down to 13.8% BF. I started at 104lb and around 17%BF. I am gaining muscle and curves and nice definition which I didn't have when I was just doing light weights.

It has changed my body and my outlook on working out. I look forward to the gym now instead of dreading the endless cardio and light weights for 20 reps.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm going to look into this! Thanks for the info.

The best program for beginners is Stronglifts 5x5. You start with just the olympic bar with no weights on it. Go to stronglifts.com to learn about the program.