Feeling discouraged even after weight loss

Options
I lost 10 lbs this month and I'm pretty proud of myself for that... but I'm not seeing a huge difference in the mirror and I'm worried I'm going to be discouraged this month. I know I'm losing weight for the right reasons (to be at a healthy BMI), I guess I thought 10 lbs would make more of a difference in how I look, so now I'm disappointed. Any advice?

Replies

• lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    you wont notice a real difference looking in the mirror as we see ourselves every day. The best thing are before and after type photos. Well done and your loss so far and keep up the good work
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18 in total and I don't think I look any different but to me that is all the more reason to keep going. I sort of look at as a game I want to win (sore loser) so in my head i'm like "ok body how much is it gonna take to see a difference?" and I go at it every day working towards that.
  • Obscuring
    Obscuring Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I feel so much more reassured thanks to you all! The support is great. I like that you view it as a game, I am definitely putting myself into that mindset!
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    "Do not be discouraged by who you are at present. Be motivated by who you WILL become in the future"

take your measurement, that will help

anyone can add me
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    give yourself some more time!! If you're always peeking in the mirror at how you look you'll never notice any differences. I kind of didn't notice any difference with myself till suddenly one day I was 5 pants sizes smaller :laugh:
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You're not alone in this.

I've had a bad week all in all- a family birthday to celebrate, and I've been ill with mumps, but I've still lost weight and was also able to wear a skirt I've not been comfortable in for about a year.

For some reason, I just can't feel happy or encouraged about it. I still look at the mirror and can't see a difference.

I'm putting a lot of how I feel down to illness. I'm just going to keep plodding on with logging my food, and hope I'll feel better about it next week.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 20lbs this year! Some times I feel slim and am in smaller clothes ( only one size down mind) and sometimes I feel no slimmer like this morning in the shower! Its all in the mind! Measurements are a good idea and can help when your self perception is struggling!
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yep - I agree with above. It's too late to do it for that last 10lb, but for the sake of your peace of mind in the future, take some photos of yourself in your underwear now and measure your waist and hips with a tape. Then, when you've lost the next few pounds, do it again and keep doing it. If you're losing weight, you will be changing shape, but only hard comparisons may prove it to you.

Keep it up - you're doing great!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Like many people have said you will be the last one to see it. This whole experience has been 80% mental and 20% physical for me. There are days I still see the 380 pound guy in the mirror and I know it is not real. Just keep going and like others have said, take plenty of pictures, The Camera doesn't lie.
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the comments above! You need to look at the big picture. I also get discouraged sometimes, but my daughter said something to me the other day that really made me think about my progress. We are making luggages to go on a trip and they each weigh 40 lbs......so she pointed out that I have lost the amount of one of our luggages. So I picked it up and was amazed that I used to carry that around with me all the time!!! Sure, I always want to see big losses on the scale...BUT I am proud of what I have accomplished so far. We need to learn to celebrate! :)
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    The mirror is deceptive. Are you keeping records of measurements and taking monthly photos, front, back and side?
  • Kimberleebennett
    Kimberleebennett Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do for motivation is the measurements.

I only lost about 2 kilos over about 3 months. I was hoping for more as I'd been working really hard and started to think it would take forever to lose the weight. I took my measurements and was surprised to see I'd lost 7cm from my waist! After another couple of weeks I was I was wearing a smaller size of jeans. Still only at 4 kilo loss. No visible difference in the mirror but so much more energy and feeling really motivated by my tape measure.
  • Rangersgirl6720
    Rangersgirl6720 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I aways judge my progress by how my clothes fit, I bet you have a much easier time getting your pants fastened? Dieting is short term and while the results may come quickly, they go quickly as well. Being fit is about life changes and take longer but the long term results will be worth it. Stick with it!
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds and I still feel that way. It's all about the small victories. Some days I look at myself and I am amazed with how far I have come, others I don't notice a change at all. Don't give up. Being healthy will make you feel better about yourself if you stick to it.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Before & after photos, do it! I usually take new ones once a month and I'm always pleased by the difference.