Lost nothing my first week

Options
I'm kind of confused about this. I'm 6'1 390lbs. I've been eating roughly 2000 calories each day, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, for the most part low carb, but when I weighed myself on Monday, my weight hadn't moved. I get all my calories in by around 6pm and stop eating for the day. I am unable to exercise at the moment because of a broken leg that's non-weight bearing. Should I reduce my calories more, or should I try to eat more?

Replies

• CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    You should be more patient. One week isn't enough to notice a change.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Just letting you know, people are likely going to ask you to make your diary public so they can give you better advice.

ETA: Oops, one week, yeah no way can you tell anything yet.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to give it more time. Weightloss isn't linear and a week isn't a magic point in time.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not steady or linear, it happens in leaps and bounds, interspersed by plateaus and slow periods. One week is not nearly enough time to gauge if you are doing things wrong. Give it a month, take inch measurements, and see where you are from there.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Did you gain all that weight in a week? Do you even gain 5 pounds in a week? No. (If you do, that's another problem entirely.) Be patient.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I would give it more time at the calories you already have set. And how accurately are you logging? Unless you are weighing out your portions you could be over by much more than a 'bit'. A digital food scale could cost $20, and it's definitely worth the invesment.

And for what it's worth, 6 pm is not a magic time after which calories turn into pure fat. Unless you have a late night binge trigger, timing doesn't make a real difference.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of confused about this. I'm 6'1 390lbs. I've been eating roughly 2000 calories each day, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, for the most part low carb, but when I weighed myself on Monday, my weight hadn't moved. I get all my calories in by around 6pm and stop eating for the day. I am unable to exercise at the moment because of a broken leg that's non-weight bearing. Should I reduce my calories more, or should I try to eat more?

It takes time...sorry to hear that your hard work isn't paying off just yet.

what type of work outs are you doing? maybe I can help out =)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not steady or linear, it happens in leaps and bounds, interspersed by plateaus and slow periods. One week is not nearly enough time to gauge if you are doing things wrong. Give it a month, take inch measurements, and see where you are from there.

What do you have against the metric system, huh?

OP, too soon to tell. My daily weight frequently fluctuates 2-3 pounds, and has been as much as 6. That kind of volatility can easily mask several weeks of progress (or alternatively lead you to believe it's working better than it actually is). Patience. And definitely, that she^ said especially about the measurements (regardless of the system you decide to use) as those are less volatile (and likely more meaningful) than scale weight. Good luck.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of confused about this. I'm 6'1 390lbs. I've been eating roughly 2000 calories each day, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, for the most part low carb, but when I weighed myself on Monday, my weight hadn't moved.

My first thought was..."Is this a man or a woman, and what is this person eating."

I went to your wall to answer the first question. As a man, you would typically eat more calories than a woman; and I'm no nutritionist, so I won't try to make a recommendation for your appropriate, daily, calorie limit.

As for the second question...if you don't post your daily food diary, no one on MFP can even suggest any kind of changes to your food that might help.
    I get all my calories in by around 6pm and stop eating for the day.

Many people would agree with that. I am a night owl, often staying up 'til 1AM. So, my food intake stops about 10PM.
    I am unable to exercise at the moment because of a broken leg that's non-weight bearing. Should I reduce my calories more, or should I try to eat more?

That's where you and I have more in common. I am confined to a wheel chair with a walker for a few steps around the house only. This old lady is getting ready for double knee replacement. So...like you, my mobility is limited; but I still exercise every day for at least 30 minutes. I do something called Sit And Fit.

Don't let you temporary limitation stop you from doing some form of exercise. Your upper body, torso and one good leg can still be used. Activity helps increase metabolism and burn calories. Plus...you don't want to get flabby, sitting around all day.

Once you have established a good food plan for each day, you will start losing weight. You may have a sudden, substantial weight loss in the next week...or...you may just begin a slow but steady loss. Either way, you will begin to lose soon, if you are not eating too many calories. I would think that you are somewhere in the right neighborhood for a man your size.

By the way, I average about 8 to 10 pounds per month in weight loss. That is about right for a lady who is still in the 200's. As a man in the 300's, you could lose even more per month, especially if you are active at all.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    When starting out it takes more then a week to lose weight I mean i have only lost 12 lbs and i started in feb of this year. just have to be patient it doesnt just happen over night. good luck. hope all goes well.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Definitely give yourself more time...a week isn't a good barometer of progress based on your current calorie intake. If you're looking to lose the weight faster then adjust your calories lower accordingly. Hope you have a speedy recovery from the broken leg. :smile:

8488541.png
  • c2hrist3a
    c2hrist3a Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, it takes more than one week to realize success. This is a lifestyle change not a quick fix. If you measure, and stay true to it, you will reap the benefits. Only one result can happen if you are honest and truly stick to it. You can do this. In the meantime, find a way to get some exercise. That will also help your mindset. :) Good luck!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My scale didn't move for 6 weeks when I started! And, despite making reasonable attempts to lower my weight since February this year, I'm hovering with 2-3 lbs of my original goal weight....not my revised goal. Keep doing the right things and progress will happen.
  • marlumpy
    marlumpy Posts: 3
    Options
    Alright, thank you everyone. I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I do have a food scale and try to overshoot when I don't actually know the amount I'm eating. Considering my BMR, I'll try to eat a little bit more every day, and I have a dumbbell to keep my muscles active. I'll also try to look into more cardio exercises I can do with only one good leg.
  • soopaang
    soopaang Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We all expect that first week to really motive us to keep going on. Don't let this expectation become toxic to your efforts. You are a week in and it sounds like you're doing great things to keep on track! The scale won't always cooperate. I personally think it is best to focus on the fuel you are putting into your body for health. Eventually your body will adjust to it's new normal and weight loss will become a welcome secondary. In my experience focusing on weight loss alone leads to yo-yos and heartache.