Head is spinning, confused....

Options
So I'm trying to figure out my numbers and there's a lot to learn and a lot of calculations. My question is this:

If I simply plug in my information to MFP and use it's recommendation for calories (which I think is my BMR) and then eat the additional it gives me from exercise, I should lose weight in a healthy manner as long as I eat decent, correct?

Replies

• savoiaS1
    savoiaS1 Posts: 129
    Options
    Eating decent has little to do with scale weight loss its about Calories in vs Calories out. But eating decent has everything to do with overall health. MFPs default macro % are junk and need to be adjusted. Plug in your age,sex,weight,height and desired weight loss and it will give you a calorie total per day/week you need to eat to lose that weight. From there we adjust your macro percentages based on your exercise routine and start with a cookie cutter build and see how things go from there. Assuming you are counting correctly of course.
  • MarisaDLS2
    MarisaDLS2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would measure or at least guesstimate all your food intake at first, until you get very good at estimating volume.

ie 3 oz is a deck of cards, one oz cheese is about the size of your thumb, half cup is a handful.

Most people vastly underestimate amount/volume of food they are eating, everyone is used to huge portions at restaurants, which usually are at least 2 servings, ie 8 oz steak.

8" diameter plates are available and to visualize how much to eat, 1/4 plate should be protein, 1/4 plate carb, 1/2 plate vegetables/fruits, dairy on the side.

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/myplate_green-300x272.jpg

That being said, for people who have a genetic predisposition to diabetes type 2 have better success with a low glycemic diet.

"Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants" ~ Michael Pollan
  • PezAzul
    PezAzul Posts: 42
    Options
    Thanks very much for the input!
  • PezAzul
    PezAzul Posts: 42
    Options
    SavoiaS1, I adjusted my macros a little. Can you check them out? I want to do moderate carbs, around 100 a day (which obviously is NOT going to be today). Thanks!