Getting on back on track after a death?

Options
It's been two weeks since I have excercised. It seems to be mental and emotional. Like my body is saying do it, but my head is saying, it's ok, if I don't. I want too, I just need the push. Any ideas on how to excercise and not be bogged down by my mind? Gained five pounds back in two weeks? Help please. Ideas wanted.

Replies

• KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Take your time and ease back in. I am sorry about the loss of someone you love or care about.
  • dmdaigle17
    dmdaigle17 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Take your time. Don't rush it. Just start off slow doing something that you enjoy that requires physical activity as well- a nice walk in the evening, kayaking, swimming, etc. Sorry for your loss as well :heart:
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I always put on my Ipod with my cranked-up Christian music. Sometimes I think or sing, but I start exercising and then realize I am done...it goes quick!!!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss!! I know it's tough, but you have to push yourself. Almost like get stubborn about what your head is saying. I've been there, but once you start, it gets better each day. I lost my mom last year and it's still very tough. I've turned exercising into a time I talk to her and dad. I know, sounds corny, but when I exercise, it's just me, God, mom and dad. Believe me, once you get done with it, there's a sense of relief.

Good luck!!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    For me - exercise means food! I get to eat more and be full instead of being miserable and halving things I want just to make my calories work!
  • dresdenkali
    Options
    I am sorry for you loss. For me, exercise is just as much mental as it is the physical work. When things are up, down or I am stressed out I have found that working out helps me work through the issues. Like others have said, take your time and ease back in. I would maybe try something slow, focus on that while your on it and you may find that its a mental break from what your going through.
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    Sorry for your loss, I say take your time. It is ok if you skip it, your mental well being is more important right now. I lost my mom a couple of years ago and I threw myself a big pity party for quite sometime. But I'm stong now and my mom is my inspiration, she is why I am finally realizing my dream of losing my excess weight. Sending a prayer your way,

Take care of yourself.
  • beck8800
    beck8800 Posts: 2
    Options
    when i lost my dad 2 years ago, exercising was the only thing that took my mind of my sadness. there were days when i didn't feel like exercising but i still pushed my self to do something even if it was yoga or pilates, just to get back that mind, body connection.
    i'm sorry for your loss and just remember things will eventually fall back into place.
  • CocoFire
    CocoFire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I lost a very close friend about a month ago. (Has it really been that long?) I have had the biggest highs and lows of my life. There have been some days that I cried on the entire drive to the gym. There have been days that I've cried in my personal trainer's office. There have been days that I've broken down on the treadmill. For me, working out sometimes gives me the time to think about things. I've spent every moment trying to distract myself from the sadness. So when I get on the treadmill, for the first 20 minutes or so, I have time to think... and it hurts.

I just keep walking. Sometimes it feels like I can barely keep it together enough to just take the next step. Then the next, then the next. I notice my physical pain spike when I'm in emotional pain. So some of my workouts have just hurt. But I keep going. I'm not sure why sometimes. It's not about my goals sometimes, its just about hanging on, hoping the next moment will be different.

All I can say is that after 20 or 40 minutes, after the endorphin release, I am able to have a few moments of no thinking, no pain. And I walk away knowing that I did something effective, even though it still hurts.

Hang in there. Show yourself some kindness, you deserve it.