A trick for chips and salsa lovers

Options
I went to a mecxican restaraunt today with a friend and I told myself I wasn't going to have any chips and salsa, but of course i have no will power and that didn't happen. So what i did was took a chip and LOADED salsa on it, so therefore my salsa bowl would be gone way faster than normal and I wouldn't eat as many chips haha. The trick is to say no if they ask if you want your little bowl refilled/ Has anyone else done this, or found other ways to "cheat" with other foods?

Replies

• KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options
    I count out 12-14 chips and break them up and eat them in little bits dipped in my salsa... and sometimes, if it's the weekend and i've had a really good week, i'll even dip them in a little bit of cheese...
  • alisont91
    alisont91 Posts: 54
    Options
    Chips and salsa are my weakness, but that sounds like a good idea! That way you get full on salsa (which is like 10 cal a serving) instead of chips. I'll have to try that
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I count out 12-14 chips and break them up and eat them in little bits dipped in my salsa... and sometimes, if it's the weekend and i've had a really good week, i'll even dip them in a little bit of cheese...
    You're a god! That's quite the incredible feat! I AM impressed:drinker:

OP ideas great as well :drinker:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i eat so much salsa in the summer, sometimes with just a spoon! but i do love chips, too, so i try to do the same thing where i load the chip up with as much salsa as possible.

the salsa i make at home is so delicious that we eat it on all kinds of stuff. i'm making another batch tomorrow!

it's something like:

green onions / onions w/tops / or just tops of onions
    cilantro
    tomatoes (if you got 'em)
    lemon juice
    apple cider vinegar
    paprika
    cayenne pepper
    water
    a bit of salt (not much on this)

peppers can be added or not, doesn't matter.

great over rice and beans, too. perfect in burritos, tacos, in soups, on eggs, whatever. it's like the best. ever.

problem is i never really fill up on it... i could eat it all day (and some days i do!)
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    biggest downfall for me is salsa and chips...thanks for the tip. I will TRY, but man those chips are EVIL! LOL
  • kbarr23
    kbarr23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I ask for them not to bring the chips at all, but an order of flour tortillas. Believe it or not, it's really delicious to have warm flour tortillas with salsa! That way I can have an appetizer and enjoy the flavors but cut out the fat.
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Padrinos tortilla chips? They are salt free and all natural and have practically othing in them....I eat em with Mission all natural salsa....for both it's only 130 cals=)
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Padrinos tortilla chips? They are salt free and all natural and have practically othing in them....I eat em with Mission all natural salsa....for both it's only 130 cals=)
    I will definantly have to try that, and maybe just bring a bag of my own chips to the restaraunt haha.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I like dipping celery into my salsa ... it satisfies my crunch needs once in a while.
  • keechlo
    keechlo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's a weakness of mine too!!! I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks!
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    if you are sharing appetizers with a group (or chips/salsa with a group) you can just eat slowly...that way the other people tend to eat most of it, and you just have little bits...works most of the time for me :)
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hmm... celery and salsa, I'm trying that for sure! I like the idea of loading up on salsa... especially with fresh salsas because they're so good for you and they taste awesome!
  • lalouli
    lalouli Posts: 41
    Options
    If you're at home, I like the Trader Joe's blue corn, low-fat chips. I had a chips and salsa problem at night in front of the t.v. and that helped a little. I've since given them up for ONLY when I go out. I love salsa too, like one of the other respondents, so I could eat a cereal bowl full of it and not even notice.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Hmm... celery and salsa, I'm trying that for sure! I like the idea of loading up on salsa... especially with fresh salsas because they're so good for you and they taste awesome!

one of my favorite ways to eat celery is with frank's red hot sauce. just straight celery n sauce.
  • amm114
    amm114 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bump...

Any other suggestions for at-home chips & salsa lovers, as far as alternatives to normal high-calorie tortilla chips (Tostitos)?
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    don't buy chips for at home buy whole wheat tortillas or low carb ones instead. I use a pizza cutter and make about eight triangles , spray a cookie sheet or a broiler pan with non stick cooking spray place triangles on sheet spray top with nonstick spray sprinkle a little salt on top. bake @ 350 after about 5 min. flip watch these because they can burn fast. This way you have a controlled snack to eat with salasa and you have to put a little work into it so you can't go back to a "bag" and eat more you would have to do another batch so that is what helps me i don't feel like ever making a second batch.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I dampen corn tortillas under the faucet, then bake them on the oven rack until they're crisp. We use these for tostada bottoms as well as chips. If you're not watching your sodium, you can sprinkle salt on them when they're wet and it will stick!

You can get the same results (but you have to flip them) in a microwave.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite ways to eat celery is with frank's red hot sauce. just straight celery n sauce.
    Yummy!! :love:
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I dampen corn tortillas under the faucet, then bake them on the oven rack until they're crisp. We use these for tostada bottoms as well as chips. If you're not watching your sodium, you can sprinkle salt on them when they're wet and it will stick!

You can get the same results (but you have to flip them) in a microwave.
    hey that is a really good idea!
  • Loves2love
    Options
    I joined this site yesterday and am so addicted to it already. Here goes my 1st post.

My nightly snack is Tostitos Scoops Baked Tortilla Chips and Salsa

14 chips = about 120 calories (Yes I do count them out) I think they are very good to and then I like Kroger Salsa and that is only 10 calories per serving and I have about 3 servings.

Not a bad snack for 150 calories!

I love celery and will buy some this week and try with salsa and deff. with Franks Red Hot.

Thank you all for the great tips.