Just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia

Options
Hello Everyone, I'm 26 and just got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia two days ago. I'm looking for people who would like to become friends to fight through this together. I'm starting Cymbalta this coming Friday and currently waiting for lupus and RA results.

Also diagnosed with:
- pcos
- 3 herniated discs (protrution & extrution)
- disc fissure
- disc degeneration
- scoliosis
- arthritis

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I'm a couple decades older, but I was recently diagnosed as well. I have had it for a long time though, probably started when I was in my 30's that is when I remember being stiff all the time. But, it started to get really bad in my early 40's, to the point where I was bed ridden for about 3 months. It's really horrible, but I am hoping that with changing my diet and exercising I can get it to a point where it's manageable.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: hello' i have fibromyalgia also for many years! i take lyrica for mine! i took cymbalta for a year but it did not do much for me. my husband has this too & his doctor put him on cymbalta & it seems to be working for him! i have spinal stenosis & advanced degenerative disc disease. i used to be 5'6" & now 5'2" due to this condition! i used to take steroid injections in my spine for 12 years every 2 months. that threw me into diabetes. which the steroids caused me to be insulin resistant so i have to take 2 type of needles in my stomach & pills every time i put anything in my mouth & all of this due to a car accident in 1998! i used to have to get around in a electric wheelchair but now i use a walker! i was able to do this due to loss of weight & exercising on a regular basis! due to this injury i also have arthritis very badly!

i am sending a friend request your way because i would love to be friends & give support & encouragement too! together we can get as healthy as we can get!
  • idealisticdiva
    idealisticdiva Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    HI I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last year. They put me on a muscle relaxer and Amitryptaline. I personally do not like prescriptions so I joined melaleuca and found a regiment that helped me get off those meds. I am actually feeling better and and I am able to move around more. It took me several months to get off of the meds but I did do it successfully.
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and was diagnosed a few months back. I'm currently seeking a 2nd opinion and she suggested MyFitnessPal (MFP) & The Plan Diet which is an Anti-diet that allows you to figure out if it is a food that is causing your symptoms. I have been doing it for 10 days and feel better than I have felt in years.

Feel free to add me to you list of friends
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    any fibromites feel free to add me! i was dx'd 10 yrs ago and i am now:flowerforyou: kicking @ss (drug free) with exercise! i m a fibromite friend collector!!!
  • germLA47
    germLA47 Posts: 5
    Options
    Whoever you went to for your second opinion gave you great advice. When I was first diagnosed, the doctor asked which bothered me more, the pain or lack of sleep. For me, I could deal with the pain if only I could get a good night's sleep. I took Prozac for one year and after a 12 pound weight gain that was enough for me. I have many food allergies/sensitivities along with not being able to tolerate any grains except brown rice on occasions. Once I got really serious and eliminated all offending foods, plus sugar, I saw amazing results. Yes, it's so easy to say "don't eat this", but it is hard because we are human and constantly surrounded by food. If you give yourself a month of eating grain free, dairy free and sugar free, I think you will see great results. If you continue to have symptoms, you can then readjust your diet. There are so many food substitutions that after a while you will no longer feel deprived because you will feel so good. Good luck.
  • kg2run
    kg2run Posts: 25
    Options
    I was diagnosed 18 years ago and have had good periods where I have been able to manage it without meds, and not so good periods where I've needed the meds.

The thing that helps the most is getting sleep regularly, eating well, and moving. It takes a while to learn to listen to your body and I've learned when to dial it back for a day or two when I need to. It's when I stop paying attention that things tend to spiral out of control. I have no insight into meds specific to fibro since I've never taken one as I've only taken what was needed to address the symptoms I was experiencing at the time.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, I'm 26 and just got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia two days ago. I'm looking for people who would like to become friends to fight through this together. I'm starting Cymbalta this coming Friday and currently waiting for lupus and RA results.

Also diagnosed with:
    - pcos
    - 3 herniated discs (protrution & extrution)
    - disc fissure
    - disc degeneration
    - scoliosis
    - arthritis

How could they possibly get a differential dx on you for fibro when you have verifiable medical conditions with such similar symptoms?

Also, they tried Cymbalta for my back pain (mostly same disc issues as you), and it did nothing for me. The discontinuation syndrome is really awful though. It has a 12 hour half life, so if you forget to take it, you'll feel it soon afterwards. I strongly caution you against using Cymbalta if you don't need it for depression and anxiety. I've had a lot of luck with physical therapy and massage, though.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you on the RA and Lupus testing.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I too am a Fibromyalgia sufferer - diagnosed about 10 years ago. It does help with the pain getting the diet in check. We will survive!!! :bigsmile:
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was diagnosed last year. You'll adapt and get used to it and modify things to make them work. Its up and down for me but now I know what I am dealing with it gets easier to manage.

All the best, feel free to add me should you wish. That goes for any fibros out there!
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have had FMS for 12 years. I also have high blood pressure and chronic migraines, I am waiting for an X-Ray to see if I get to add arthritis to my list. Medication hasn't worked for me, I have a special needs child that I have to be completely aware and functional to care for. The anti-inflammatory diet is helping some, you may want to look into that. I can tell you from years of experience there is no one size fits all treatment for fibro. You'll have to do a lot of experimentation with diet and exercise before you find what works for you. Listen to your body and take things slow, all I can suggest.

Add me if you like. :)
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with fibro in 2008 after years of severe pain and fatigue. Also suffer from depression and tourette's syndrome. I take lyrica to handle the pain but cannot take too high a dose due to the side effects. Tried to manage my symptoms through diet and exercise but it just wasn't providing any relief so for now medication is part of my regime.

Hope you get everything sorted out. Feel free to add me. ~
  • natashalh1998
    natashalh1998 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed 9 years ago. I also suffer severe migraines and have for as long as I can remember. The symptoms are manageable, I choose not to take meds specifically related to the fibro but do take 15 mg of Mobic and ibuprofen almost daily to help with the stiffness and pain. I have good days and bad days but refuse to let it change me or what I want to do with my life. I work full time and just deal when the symptoms arise. I am thankful I can get up and go to work, this is not a debilitating disease... you will always have it but it doesn't have to define you! Eating healthy and exercise do help.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Diagnosed just over a year ago, and I was 26 at the time.

I have more good days than bad days now with medication (Gabapentin 500 mg a day, and Nortryptlyne at night only). I wanted to lose weight to prove that not everyone with fibro has weight issues - i'm a healthy 131.8 and feel amazing. Yoga has been the best thing for me!
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    There is a successful treatment for Fibromyagia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Sceroderma, etc. However, it is not accepted by many doctors, I suspect because it doesn't make money for the pharmaceutical companies. It is a long term low dose of antibiotics. You can go to www.roadback.org for more information.

My mother has systemic Sceroderma, diagnosed in 1990 and given 5 years to live at that time. She is still with us thanks to this treatment.

Check it out!

Rebecca
  • natashalh1998
    natashalh1998 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This is a good link in reference to the anti inflammatory diet. It has helped me to eat healthier and reduce the symptoms.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/anti-inflammatory-diet-road-to-good-health?page=2
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    bump
  • keets502
    keets502 Posts: 34
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2010 - wishing you luck on your lupus and RA testing. Anyone feel free to add me, support is a good thing!
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My mother has lived with Fibromyalgia for many years... she has found that losing weight, and cutting back on glucose and artificial sweeteners (for her this was just diet soda) really improved and helped to manage the amount of joint pain she was having. She still has to take medication sometimes, particularly in the winter when the arthritis compounds the issues.
  • Barbsunshine
    Barbsunshine Posts: 398
    Options
    Hello! I was diagnosed 14 years ago. I've had times when the symptoms have been in remission where I didn't need meds at all. I did go on Cymbalta about 4 or 5 years ago and it worked pretty well. Unfortunately, it's no longer covered completely by my insurance and I can't afford $85 month! With that and doctor that doesn't quite understand fibromyalgia, I've been struggling a bit. I'm 52 and I'm finding it's tougher to deal with as I get older and heavier. I think I'll feel much better if I can get some of this weight off me, but it's tough...that's why I'm here! I wish you the best!