Recommend a good detox

Options
SuzMcH
SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
Hi, I've been doing well since February and have slowly been losing weight. (slowly but surely wins the race right ?)

Anyway I've been hitting a bit of a plateau and wondered if a detox might help kick start me a bit. Does anyone know a good one? I think 3 -4 days max. I know I won't stick to it if it's longer.
Thanks.

Replies

• emmaj35
    emmaj35 Posts: 26
    Options
    Oh now I would be interested in this so lets wait to here - a good kick start yes yes:blushing:
  • dnndavie
    dnndavie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    A lot of the "cleanses" out right now just over stimulate certain organs & also make your digestive system weaker because it does the work for it. Plus they are expensive!! The best cleanse/detox would be to stick with fruit for a couple days. Tons of fiber, plenty of energy, easy to digest, pack full of nutrients and delicious!! While your eating food that is easy to digest your body will have plenty of time to clean house. Try doing mono meals (only one type at a time)....start with juicey fruit for breakfast (melons, citrus), sweet fruit for lunch (bananas, dates) and acid fruit for dinner (pineapples, apples, berries, mango). If you do mix fruit in the same meal try to keep it to only a few different ones (but always have melons alone & at least an hour apart from other food).
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Detox and clense are to be avoided at all cost. They do no such thing as cleanse or kick start anything. If you need a change in routine because you're current routine is getting stale, then try cooking a new cuisine or joining a new class (maybe a dance class, or taichi or something... just something new).

Basically, we don't loose weight in a linear fashion, it happens in fits and starts. Sometimes it appears linear because you can get a constant weekly loss for 8-10 weeks, but then it stops for 4-6 weeks and then you get another burst of weight loss. Don't assume if you haven't lost weight for 2-3 weeks that something's wrong, but if you need a boost to your motivation... like I said, just try something different.

As for cleanses, they're bad for your health.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Careful treading...if you are on medications, they can flush out the medications and render them ineffective. Remember that the detox cleanses things like the intestine and liver, where much of your medications are going to be working through. So you have to be aware of what you are doing to your body before you undertake it. I guess it depends on what you mean by detox...there are a number of different "detox" diets - like Master Cleanse. Those are the ones I'm referring that can be very bad, even for people not on medications.

I'd say that your best bet is to go with a more clean eating - natural veggies, organic, good proteins. Plenty of hydration. To clean your system out. Skip the booze for a lil bit, watch the added sugar, caffeine.

Here's an article from Women's Health Magazine to give you some basic info http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/detox-diet?page=1

I'll see if I can find some good journal articles.
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I was definitely thinking more along the lines of friut, veg and water for 3 or 4 days. Rather than a checmical or herbal cleanse detox.
  • runtothefinish
    Options
    Green smoothies are a fantastic way to ensure you get enough nutrients, but also help "clean you out". Example... banana, cucumber, spinach blended with almond milk... if you are getting hungry snack on some almonds and more veggies and fruits.