Cardio for crappy knees (I dream of jogging)

Options
I've started instituting several lifestyle changes to try to begin losing weight, toning up, and keeping the weight off. Age, stress and a desk job have combined to put me at near 160 lbs (at 5'4") and a size 10, and I'm not happy (or as healthy as I could be) in that range.

At present, I do yoga, elliptical, light treadmill and some weights (though not a lot of leg weights, for reasons upcoming). The challenge is that I want to do more cardio, but my knees disagree. After several years of event planning and working on hard, unforgiving floors for 12-hour days, my knees decided they wanted no more of my crap and developed Baker's cysts. MRIs have shown no tears, but rather fluid build/swelling upon strain and activity.

I've done physical therapy exercises and worked on strengthening my legs and core to help take some of the stress off my knees, but the fact is, I not only need to do cardio to assist in weight loss, I WANT to do cardio. I've tried a few jogs with my husband (with knee braces during and ice after) and while it's tolerable, I usually have gross knee pain for a few days after.

Does anyone have any advice on good cardio that's easy on the knees and/or a way to work up to jogging-- which I enjoy and love to do when not in pain or constantly stressing about the joints!

Replies

• Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Spinning is easy on the knees. It will also strengthen your core.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I hurt my knee very badly training for a half marathon last year in Spetember and I am just now getting back into running. I found that what really helps when my knee starts bothering me is to wear a compression brace when I run longer then 3 miles. I also make sure to ice my knee immidiately after every run and that is what has kept me in the game so far.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    Any place for you to go swimming?
  • cyclist_44060
    cyclist_44060 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Spinning, cycling and swimming are all good alternatives
  • IMD918
    IMD918 Posts: 49
    Options
    If you are insistent on high intensity cardio, then do jump rope. You should only be jumping a half inch off the ground at the most. Otherwise, walking and swimming are both excellent cardio. A 3-4 mph pace walk is actually pretty ideal, and even leisurely swimming burns a ton of calories.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I walk. It's fairly easy on my knees as long as i don't go too fast.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Investigating the swimming option, but I am a TERRIBLE swimmer. I may burn more calories from my hapless strokes, though.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Spinning, cycling and swimming are all good alternatives

this...and a cryocuff IC! itsAWESOME
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Stationary rowing is great for my arthritic knees. I'm thinking that I'm going to try a rebounder, as I've read some encouraging things about those.
  • deaterrae
    deaterrae Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Swimming.

Several years ago, I lost 25 lbs in about seven months by swimming daily. I don't think it's possible to have something much easier on the knees.

What has your orthopedist and/or physical therapist suggested for cardio? My mother recently had a knee replacement and needs another, and cycling with little to no resistance helps lubricate the arthritis. But, you seem to have a very different problem that likely needs a different solution. Ask the pros.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Walking and cycling
  • Wretched61
    Wretched61 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When you go jogging with your husband, are you outside on the road? If so, try a treadmill instead; not so hard on the knees.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Swimming.

Several years ago, I lost 25 lbs in about seven months by swimming daily. I don't think it's possible to have something much easier on the knees.

What has your orthopedist and/or physical therapist suggested for cardio? My mother recently had a knee replacement and needs another, and cycling with little to no resistance helps lubricate the arthritis. But, you seem to have a very different problem that likely needs a different solution. Ask the pros.

Unfortunately, the ortho's opinion was "I don't see any tear, so cross your fingers and hope this goes away." Because he couldn't find a specific trigger for the fluid buildup, he said he didn't want to steer me clear of possibilities, but to take it slow and build up. That was a few years ago, and there's been no real improvement-- even with fairly consistent work and care.

I do enjoy swimming (though I'm terrible at it, as said before), but regret that it takes away the social support aspect I enjoy with other cardio exercises now. I can walk and jog and lift weights with friends and family, but swimming has always seemed more solitary to me, and I'm very dependent on the support aspect (for now) to keep my easily frustrated self pushing ahead in the journey.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that said biking, cycling, spinning... I have really bad knees from a motorcycle accident, and have found this is the best exercise for when my knees are hurting!

As for jogging, get GOOD shoes!! Last night I was fitted for shoes, and jumped on the treadmill for the first time, I had NO knee pain when running... Also treadmills are really bad to run on, I was talking to the guy last night about this, go for gravel or another turfed area!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    cycling can be bad for your knees.. people think it's only high impact, but sometimes long bike rides with pushing can put strain on the knees. The best exercises are going to be ones that involve not only low impact, but low knee stress/strain. You can do HITT rope training (batting ropes for example) swimming, walking on an incline.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Power walk. You'll go as fast as many joggers (I power walk 12-13 mph depending on the day) with a lot less impact. I have Bakers cysts in one of my knees as well, and power walking is low enough impact that they don't get aggravated. I'd also suggest getting fitting for a great pair of gel shoes with cushioning inserts.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    go cycling. outdoors. it helped me a lot when i was over weight.
  • KEAVES13
    KEAVES13 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Walk Away the Pounds...I also have knee problems and have found these are good workouts that are easy on the joints!
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am also plagued with knee pain I do group fitness classes and do the lower impact options and still can get my heartrate up there and burn some good calories....someone mentioned spinning being easy on the knees I disagree a litle bit there its really important that you are adjusted right on that bike or else it can be wicked on the knees...I didn't do PT but do some classes that focus on muscles that support the knees and most importantly when they hurt I pay attention and stop take rest even hen I fist started exercising I was an idiot and way over did it and payed dearly for it now I try not to show off anymore HAHAHAH good luck!!!
  • KLCZETA
    KLCZETA Posts: 6
    Options
    I have a similar problem, not me knees but plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendinitis. So I started swimming and recently added aqua aerobics. Don't let the gray hair ladies in the pool fool you. Took my first class yesterday and am feeling it today. Getting in the water is a great way to get exercise as it takes the pressure off of your joints. Hope this helps.