Is walking on the treadmill at a high incline..

Options
Is walking on the treadmill at a high incline...say around 10 12 - good for shaping the legs? I know if I do it for an extended period of time - it gets my heart rate up to about 160 - but I was wondering if will be helpful in toning my legs.

Replies

• Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yes but it will also be murder on your knees.
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i'd try 5-6 as an incline. good for butt and legs.
  • vyanadevi
    vyanadevi Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    That was a good question, I do that sometimes...guess I will decrease the incline...
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I gotta be honest... I don't know exactly the difference incline make for leg shape because I rarely do low incline. I actually feel awkward on a treadmill at less then 3% incline, even when running.

High-incline treadmill is my go-to cardio workout, but the quickest leg changes came after doing a week of C25K at a low-incline. I could literally see the diff in a week! Unfortunately, I had to suspend C25K because of a medical setback.
    My 'fat-burn' workouts (HR: 100s-120s) are usually 2.0-2.5mph at 8-10% incline. My 'fitness-level' workouts (HR: 140s-150s) are vary with intervals of the following:
    • 4.0mph @ 6%
    • 3.6mph @ 8%
    • 3.3-3.6mph @ 10%
    • 3.0-3.3mph @ 15%

I think that my calves and glutes had benefitted from high-incline, but again, I can't really say that it wouldn't have happened at lower inclines. I can state without a doubt that it has not adversely affected my knees! I used to wear 1-2 knee braces and sometime an ankle brace whenever I had to do a lot of walking (treadmill, shopping, amusement park, etc.) Nowadays, I rarely wear any braces regardless of the activity. I do keep 1 knee brace on the treadmill just-in-case, though!
  • Teri0329
    Teri0329 Posts: 12
    Options
    My knees aren't bothering me at present. Wouldn't a person get better results at a higher incline?