cardio/weights

Options
I'm not seeing any progress and its been almost 4 weeks...I.do cardio every day at 25 mins each day. I strength train 3 days and rest, 3 days then rest. On my rest days I do 30 mins of cardio. Help?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what's your diet like?
    keep in mind that weight loss is primarily diet, not exercise. exercise will help determine how you lose fat (ie weight training helps preserve muscle while you lose weight)
  • Charzboss
    Charzboss Posts: 3
    Options
    What kind of weight training do you do? How many reps, sets etc? Are you using free weights or machines?
  • mslh84
    mslh84 Posts: 180
    Options
    what's your diet like?
    keep in mind that weight loss is primarily diet, not exercise. exercise will help determine how you lose fat (ie weight training helps preserve muscle while you lose weight)

I have slip ups like everybody but most days i have a protein shake and protein bar then it varies feom chicken and veggies to tuna andbeef on day a week.
  • mslh84
    Options
    What kind of weight training do you do? How many reps, sets etc? Are you using free weights or machines?

I do free weights and i use this app on my phone for female orientes lifting
    I do 3 sets of 15. Is ther any way to attach a pic?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    what's your diet like?

I have slip ups like everybody but most days i have a protein shake and protein bar then it varies feom chicken and veggies to tuna andbeef on day a week.

How many calories are you eating? What's your height, current weight, and goal weight?
  • Charzboss
    Charzboss Posts: 3
    Options
    Do you feel stronger, are you able to go up in weights? Until you lose the fat that is covering the muscle definition, you may not be able to see a difference. However, you should be able to feel a difference i.e. be able to life more, or do more reps or it being easier.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ummm...it's been 4 weeks. That's like a blink of the eye. What results were you expecting exactly in 4 weeks? Body composition work in particular is tedious and long...you don't look like you have a ton of weight to lose, you're not going to see a whole lot of change in 4 measly little weeks if you only really have some cosmetic weight to lose and body composition work to do. It's detail work and it takes time...like way longer than 4 stinkin' weeks.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    ***It takes 4 weeks for you to START changing.. 8 weeks for family and friends to see the difference..12 weeks for the world to see the difference.*** STICK WITH IT

If you want bigger muscles you need to increase protein.. if you want to burn fat, lower your carbs... eat healthy fats.

Building muscles doesn't happen over night..with everything. It takes time.
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    (In addition to all the good advice above)

I too lift weights and also run.

What I found really helped me to actually see and feel results is the so-called Greasing The Groove approach. This is where you pick an exercise, maybe a couple, and do some sets regularly throughout every day. I use bodyweight exercises to vary from my free weights routine.

For example, I now do 35 push-ups and 5 weighted pull-ups every two hours or so for a total of 5 sets over the day. I started with far lower rep numbers. Start with what you are comfortable with of course.

This has really helped me achieve something visible. I believe this may be due to increased metabolic rate throughout the day?

Oh, and switching from sitting to standing has helped I think.

More info on the Googlemonster of course and here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oIB-V4m26GwYkbyw_tSKsQlbxs3uy60IrcRSteJBcqA/edit?hl=en_US
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    what's your diet like?

:drinker:
  • mslh84
    Options
    what's your diet like?

How many calories are you eating? What's your height, current weight, and goal weight?

Most days I consume around the 1400-1600 mark depending on how much I have burned. I'm 5'3, 218 and my goal is 140.
  • mslh84
    Options
    Do you feel stronger, are you able to go up in weights? Until you lose the fat that is covering the muscle definition, you may not be able to see a difference. However, you should be able to feel a difference i.e. be able to life more, or do more reps or it being easier.

I think in some of the strength training I could go up in weights. But mostly not yet.
  • mslh84
    Options
    Ummm...it's been 4 weeks. That's like a blink of the eye. What results were you expecting exactly in 4 weeks? Body composition work in particular is tedious and long...you don't look like you have a ton of weight to lose, you're not going to see a whole lot of change in 4 measly little weeks if you only really have some cosmetic weight to lose and body composition work to do. It's detail work and it takes time...like way longer than 4 stinkin' weeks.

The very first time I started working out 2 years ago I lost 8 lbs the first 2 weeks, that's with cardio and weights. I've always carried my weight well, but I do have quite a bit to lose.
  • mslh84
    Options
    ***It takes 4 weeks for you to START changing.. 8 weeks for family and friends to see the difference..12 weeks for the world to see the difference.*** STICK WITH IT

If you want bigger muscles you need to increase protein.. if you want to burn fat, lower your carbs... eat healthy fats.

Building muscles doesn't happen over night..with everything. It takes time.

I do a lot of reading on bodybuilding.com that says the more protein you take the more it helps build muscles and increase metabolism...carbs have always been a problem for me.
  • mslh84
    Options
    Thanks of course for all of the advice and useful information.
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's your diet. Lifting weights will only make you stronger and burn more bodyfat at rest, and cardio will only make your heart stronger. Diet is the key to losing weight.

Now with a great diet and cardio and weight training you will have a strong firm body with great strong cardio heart. Everything in life will be much easier for you. I hope this helps.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The very first time I started working out 2 years ago I lost 8 lbs the first 2 weeks, that's with cardio and weights. I've always carried my weight well, but I do have quite a bit to lose.

If you're lifting weights, be sure to track your measurements, too. You might losing inches without losing pounds.

Also, losing 8 pounds in 2 weeks is not sustainable. Celebrate that you were able to do it once; just be aware that it's not going to be a regular thing.
  • mslh84
    Options

If you're lifting weights, be sure to track your measurements, too. You might losing inches without losing pounds.

Also, losing 8 pounds in 2 weeks is not sustainable. Celebrate that you were able to do it once; just be aware that it's not going to be a regular thing.

I don't expect the same results all the time, that was just initially what happened the first time I kicked in the gym on a regular basis, but when I stopped and then went back into it a year or so later I expected to see something, not nothing.
  • mslh84
    Options
    It's your diet. Lifting weights will only make you stronger and burn more bodyfat at rest, and cardio will only make your heart stronger. Diet is the key to losing weight.

Now with a great diet and cardio and weight training you will have a strong firm body with great strong cardio heart. Everything in life will be much easier for you. I hope this helps.

Thanks that helps.