Sciatica question

Options
I have been trying to do a "walk everyday in May" and I did walk everyday (but 4 days) last month. I have been walking pretty hard and now I am feeling some sensation below my knee that feels like a burning feeling on my skin and also...I am feeling some sciatica discomfort...nothing serious.....just aware. I feel the two may be related and I wondered if I should push through it by still walking, or should I give it a rest ? I don't want an injury because I am training for a 5K walk in June.

Replies

• Andreagay60
    Andreagay60 Posts: 50
    Options
    I have been doing some stretches in the evening and it seems to help.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    How far have you been walking?
    Do you stretch before walking too and is it a slow walk or a brisk walk?
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    Options
    I used to have sciatica really bad and losing weight has helped tremendously. I don't think you can cause any injury by walking through it. Definitely stretch really well and maybe try to see a physical therapist that can give you specific stretchess. If you think the sciatica is caused by a pinched nerve and you're afraid that will lead to injury, then I would back off. But I found that exercise really helped mine. Hope it feels better soon
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    dont give a push ! I have disc hernation and pains in my legs and skin ( due to the nerves ) . The best way to heal is to rest, if u keep on going it may wrosen up, atleast thats my experience
  • zapp1
    zapp1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes the knee pain can be caused by sciatica, I would take it easy for a few days, continue stretching. I might be related to your shoes, when they wear out, or new ones that don't fit right (even though they feel good on your feet) can cause and/or aggravate your back, causing pain. Strengthening your core will reduce the chance of reoccurrence.
  • Andreagay60
    Options
    My walking is very brisk and I do have a habit of NOT stretching before I leave. And being 53.....I need to be more careful.
  • Andreagay60
    Options
    My shoes are new and I have excellent inserts. And its not actually "pain" that I feel...its a hot feeling below the knee.
  • PurposefulPractices
    Options
    I also have sciatica. It flares up from time to time. When it gets really bad, I see my massage therapist and she does a deep massage and targeted stretching. Other times I'm able to get it under control with stretching at home. If I would just do my 10 minutes of stretching each day, it likely wouldn't flare up at all.

A PT gave me a lengthy set of stretches which I don't enjoy and refuse to do. My best success was creating my own routine from stretches I found when I did a Google search for 'exercise or stretches' for 'sciatica or low back pain'. Hope it feels better soon!
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    was starting to recover from a major sciatic nerve flare up in January, was feeling REALLY good after a few weeks of starting to build up my core with Deadlifts, squats and ab work.. but a recent 60 mile bike ride tweeked it a little, can't stand idle for more than 10 minutes or my calf goes numb and my lower back hurts a little. trying to rehab it with stretching all over again. Never had a formal diagnosis. The docs just try to cram Painkillers and muscle relaxers but that sh1t doesn't work for me. :(
  • Andreagay60
    Options
    I need to suck it up and start stretching on a regular basis. I don't know why we refuse to do what is best for us in the long run...and besides....stretching ALWAYS makes me feel better. :embarassed:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    My walking is very brisk and I do have a habit of NOT stretching before I leave. And being 53.....I need to be more careful.

Stretch before and after exercise. I had knee pain and finally realized it was caused by too many twinkies.:blushing: Not literally twinkies, but I'd gained more weight than my knees could handle. I tended to be a heel pounder, especially when walking fast. That is really hard on a person's knees. If you are a heel pounder, you'll need to find a way to walk more gently. You might want to go for better shoes. In my case, I'm 63, have lost enough of the weight that I'm seeing improvement and hike wherever I want to go without knee pain UNLESS I pound my heels. Good luck.
  • Andreagay60
    Options
    Advice taken....I literally just got off the floor and my back feels better and I feel stretched out......now....where are my Asics ???? :bigsmile: