Devastated...

Options
2»

Replies

• KLCZETA
    KLCZETA Posts: 6
    Options
    (((Hugs))) Oh wow, so sorry to hear about your injury. No need to be ashamed you set a goal for yourself and trained hard for it. Ashamed, please, I applaud your dedication and sheer perseverance!
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    (((hugs)))) You are definitely not a failure! You've done so well. And with the surgery you can run again. Now is the time to take care of yourself in a different way. I know it's disappointing right now, but good will come of this.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry. Don't give up..The 'time to run'..will wait.
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Aww, I'm so sorry. *Hugs* Keeping hanging in there, and just do whatever exercise you can. I know it's hard. (I'm dealing with some knee trouble myself). I hope things work out, and that you can get the surgery sooner than you expect.
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It happens to a lot of us. I was trying to simply do a 10k and ended up getting plantar fasciitis after only running about 5 miles regularly. Talk about wimpy! I've had that since last July and am still struggling with it. Who knows if I'll ever run again. There are other things we can do that will kick butt!
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    hugs to you!

let me tell you I know just how you feel right now...im sitting here with my ankle taped and braced and waiting for my MRI results...

broken, torn, sprained or strained something will have to change since this is not the first time this has happened...

i plan to make swimming my new thing once i get the all clear...

best of luck and i hope that you can heal quickly...
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Almost every competitive athlete I've ever known has hurt themselves and had their athletic future threatened at some point in their lives.

There's nothing to be ashamed of and you are not a failure. You got injured.

Do what it takes to fix it, do the rehab, and do everything you can to stop it from happening again. You can do it.

This. You are not a failure.

And everyone I know who has had surgery on a knee has rehabed and come back stronger than ever. This is just a bump in the road. New goal = full recovery and an ultra :bigsmile:
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I just checked your profile - you're only 19!!

I understand the disappointment - but you have great spirit and I reckon you have a great future ahead.

Get the surgery or what ever it takes to help you recover, and work your way back. Not sure if you're a basketball fan, but I've spent the last few days watching Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose (these names will mean nothing to you if you're not an NBA fan) working on getting back from serious injuries (neither back yet - but on their way). I'm sure you can do it too!

Good Luck!!

And no, you are not a failure by ANY measure
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    1160497ejeizkzxos.gif

But...there is no reason for you to feel ashamed; even the greatest athletes get injured. While it doesn't quite compare...I was trained and ready to run a half and hurt myself also (a kitten injury...yes, it's when a kitten zips a 1000 mph between your legs and you almost get knocked off you feet by a 7lb pile of fluff). Anyway, the doctor thought I had a hernia and I missed my race and was "benched" for 3 weeks while waiting to see a surgeon...it turned out to be a pulled groin so I am back to running but you'd be surprised what 3 weeks of rest does to your cardio.

Can you do the surgery so that you can start training again for a half or full? I would consider it, especially if running is something you love (and I know I seriously do).
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i ran my 2nd hm 3 months after knee surgery (which was caused by running my first without slowly increasing my distance)
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Not to be a b*st*rd, I feel your pain, but think of the people at the Boston Marathon, when the cowardly f*ckers used a bomb filled with nails, BB's, and shards of shrapnel to maximize the damage.

3 people died. DOZENS lost limbs.

No matter how bad things get, they could always get worse. You can run a marathon in the future, if you heal properly. It's just like a pitcher in the big leagues, after ten years of throwing, they destroy their ulnar collateral ligament and have to replace it with Tommy John Surgery, it takes them 6 months to start throwing lightly again, and a year to make a recovery.

There's no reason to think that you can't do the same. Doctors are people too, a lot of the times, they get it wrong. Take it easy, follow the rules of injury management. Rule #1, positive thinking does more good than any other remedy.

Be strong. Overcome this challenge. Think of what you've overcome before, and how you conquered your adversaries.