Juicing, Day 1.

Options
Hey Pals,
I am starting a juice fast today. Has anyone else done this before or is anyone doing it now? I am not sure what to expect, but I'm determined. Any advice would be appreciate it!

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    mvBNt.gif

cR5Pm1x.gif
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    What you can expect is a serious loss of muscle mass, some dehydration and water weight loss (temporary) and headaches and feeling crappy because your body is not getting the nourishment it needs.....
    Other than that - NO....don't do it....
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I did a juice fast for breakfast once. By lunch I was a hangry *****.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    shh1_zpsac889a3f.gif
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I don't really like juice. I prefer milk with my cookies.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've done it. Make sure to include a wide variety of veggies and fruits in your juices since you don't want to deprive your body from your body from essential nutrients. The biggest mistake people do is, to assume that adding a few veggies to a juice will give them every single nutrient the body needs, and that's not true. If you want it to be healthy, find what each ingredient you're using provides, so you know what you're missing. Also, make sure to drink them 5 times a day.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Hey Pals,
    I am starting a juice fast today. Has anyone else done this before or is anyone doing it now? I am not sure what to expect, but I'm determined. Any advice would be appreciate it!

I changed my morning meal to a smoothie and have been doing that for the last year. Love the energy it gives me and I think it has helped my over all fitness. I wouldn't do a full day of it, but as a single meal replacement it has been excellent for cutting calories and contributing to better health.

Good luck!
  • peanutbuttertoastgal
    peanutbuttertoastgal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of saying "no."

You know what, OP? Knock yourself out. Go starve yourself on an insufficient diet in a futile attempt to magically cleanse yourself of some "toxins" while you watch your lean body mass dwindle and your hair fall out. Seriously, enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    have a smoothie instead way better than juice! eat those veggies don't squeeze em
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    We have a Vitamix, so the wife & I did a 6-day smoothie fast (the closest we've come). Not as great a weight loss as people might expect, but we did detox pretty heavily. Slept better, much more energy that you might expect. We weren't really HUNGRY, but by the end of the week we did miss the sensation of eating solid food. If we did it again, we'd probably limit it to 3 days.

My brother does the "Lemonade Juicing Diet" thing about once a year for like 5 days. He's pretty happy with his results, but it never seemed particularly healthy to me.

Good luck!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Have you considered the Virgin Diet? I heard about it on MFP.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I did 30 days before... LOVED the experience. I stuck with mostly dark leafy greens and did very little fruits in my juices.. I NEVER drank straight fruit juices and only used fruits to help make stuff like kale more palatable.

I was careful to keep track of my protein intake and found that it was still adequate...I'm sure the "omg you'll lose all your muscles" contingent here will disagree, but you can get a surprising amount of protein from dark leafy greens. I got around 50-60 grams a day... which is ADEQUATE for a woman of my age. You can get ALL your nutrients from juice except b-12... which isn't a problem for most people since the average person has YEARS of stored b-12

Anyway, I don't advocate using a juice fast as a weight loss tool because duh, once you go back to eating much of the weight comes back on.. but for a self discovery tool it's awesome. I also have included many more vegetable in my diet since doing the fast, and I quit wheat completely (necessary because I am intolerant)

Good luck!
  • Niki_lee82
    Niki_lee82 Posts: 11
    Options
    I think it's a great idea! Don't be discouraged! Just use your head and choose a large variety veggies/ fruits to make sure your getting all your nutrients. People underestimate the power of plants! We think we NEED solid foods. In fact, this may be what you need to boost that metabolism and kick start some serious weight loss. People juice all the time. Just be sensible and if your body is giving you signals that it is really hungry, then eat. It's that simple! :)

Good luck! You'll do great- and remember to keep it short-term.:happy:
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i knew before i even scrolled down that your replies would be full of haters.

here's the deal - i juiced with a juicer from jan-april of 2012 and then with a nutribullet (trust me, they are 2 very different appliances) from jan-april of 2013. both times i was successful, felt better and didn't "starve myself and lose all my muscle". for me, it was a great way to kick start myself into healthy eating for the new year. i'll admit, i always burn out after about 3 months.

my advice, if you're using a 'juice extractor" supplement with a fiber pill or add benefiber to your juices. i prefer the nutribullet because you still get the skins, the pulp, etc...

don't get discouraged by what other people post. i know you asked for advice but i'm sure you didn't expect people to be so rude and defensive about it.

long story short - try it and see if it works for you. if it doesn't, oh well. atleast you figured out 1st hand what juicing does for you :wink:
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've done it. You will mostly get negative responses here, but I felt great on my juice fast and lost 18 pounds in 19 days. And food tastes unbelieveably fantastic when you beak fast.

One tip- you want to avoid pulpy juice (no smoothies!) as it will make you hungry. After a few days your digestive system will quiet way down and leave you alone. It's resting, so you don't want to wake it up to digest pulp. That's one of the benefits-- you give your system a rest.

One of my favorite combinations is watermelon and carrot. Delicious You can use most of the white part of the watermelon too. But there are plenty of good cominations. Experiement. Have you seen the movie Fat, Sick, and Almost Dead? Maybe that's where you got the idea...

I hope I don't get flamed. Yes, you will gain back some of what you lose. But it could kick off a plan of healthier eating if you go into it with that in mind.
  • mrshazia
    mrshazia Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    hey... I too started it yesterday... But failed miserably... the ginger and lemon in the juice made me awfully hungry... so I decided to eat a small portion of food along with at least 8 oz of veggie juice with it... like if I have to consume 1200 cals a day... I would drink veggie juice and 600 of wholegrain and some snacks to help my cravings.... I hope it pays off . Moreover I am doing one green veggie along with a little bit of sweet veggie like carrots... just to get accustomed to the taste...
    I hope I am doing the right thing...
    but... you listen to ur body... If you need to drink more than 5 times a day... go for it...
    Make sure you don't put too many of those sweetie fruits in there... All the best !!!
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    i knew before i even scrolled down that your replies would be full of haters.

here's the deal - i juiced with a juicer from jan-april of 2012 and then with a nutribullet (trust me, they are 2 very different appliances) from jan-april of 2013. both times i was successful, felt better and didn't "starve myself and lose all my muscle". for me, it was a great way to kick start myself into healthy eating for the new year. i'll admit, i always burn out after about 3 months.

my advice, if you're using a 'juice extractor" supplement with a fiber pill or add benefiber to your juices. i prefer the nutribullet because you still get the skins, the pulp, etc...

don't get discouraged by what other people post. i know you asked for advice but i'm sure you didn't expect people to be so rude and defensive about it.

long story short - try it and see if it works for you. if it doesn't, oh well. atleast you figured out 1st hand what juicing does for you :wink:

I really disagree about the pulp. You don't want the pulp. It's not a smoothie fast, it's a juice fast.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I juiced.... when I was pregnant..gave me extra nutrients.

My favorite is mango/orange/carrot/apple....yummy!!!

I also ate extra foods of course.

Good luck!!