Bread Substitute?

Options
Hi,

This has probably been posted about a LOT so apologies if everyone is sick of hearing about it !
I am new on the site and just wanted to know if anyone substitutes bread and if so with what?
I have been substituting white bread with brown soda bread but some brands have a lot of calories in them! So looking to try something new in order to speed up the weight loss process =D

Any suggestions would be appreciated =D

Replies

• oX_Vanessa_Xo
    oX_Vanessa_Xo Posts: 478
    Options
    I switched to Bodywise 100% whole wheat bread, its only 100 calories per 2 slices ;)
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Almond flour based bread, or other types of grain breads like flax and millet.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see bread, per se, as a problem. I eat plenty of bread, but it's the multigrain and whole wheat variety. I think that there is nothing better than white toasted bread with butter, but I use it only occasionally.
    Multigrains are lower GI than white breads and tend to have a higher satiety value - and so if you like and want to eat bread, limit yourself to two slices per day and make sure it's a whole grain or multi seeded option.
    Good luck on your journey.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I use Joseph's bakery breads. I use the lavash (like a flatbread type deal) and it's HUGE like might as well be a blanket, 100 calories, with 10g protein (40% calories from protein) and 8g net carb for the whole thing. I make wraps with it, I'll put sugar free cool whip mixed with sugar free strawberry preserves on it, or I'll put butter, cinnamon, and splenda on it. Sew dericious.
  • tenintwenty
    tenintwenty Posts: 92
    Options
    Just don't eat bread? But maybe I'm bitter because I can't eat bread or any bread substitute I've found.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Bread doesn't make you fat, eating too much makes you fat. If bread fits in your budget, enjoy!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you would want to substitute it... but....

http://www.foodforlife.com/products?field_product_brand_value=Ezekiel&tid_1=8&tid=All
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I found some Ezekiel bread have in soy which is a great disappointment - the ones that I was thinking of buying from Wholefoods.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I found some Ezekiel bread have in soy which is a great disappointment - the ones that I was thinking of buying from Wholefoods.

True dat, and i cant have soy (caused hypothyroidism from eating so damn much). I believe some of their breads DO NOT have soy.

Although they taste great
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Try making your own. It's not as hard as you might think, and then you definitely know what's in it. You can find lots of recipes that are basically flour (choose whole grain), water, yeast, a little oil, a little sugar, and a little salt. And it tastes so much better, and is more filling!
  • Sandia_Sweetie
    Sandia_Sweetie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee makes a variety of 45 calorie breads, they are pretty good.
  • YellowNightingale
    YellowNightingale Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    The more fiber in the bread, the better! You can go with Ezekiel bread (may be in the refrigerator section), or low-carb wraps with flax. I usually do the Lawash Low-Carb wraps.
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I mainly use lettuce wraps instead, but if I do need bread, Ill go for the sandwich thins
  • tarynchatfield
    tarynchatfield Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I use large leaves of Romaine lettuce instead of bread. I have Celiac disease and I hate all the GF breads I've tried.
  • ergumm
    ergumm Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I buy the healthy life 35 calorie whole grain white bread!
  • FitFunFabulousNicole
    FitFunFabulousNicole Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bread doesn't make you fat, eating too much makes you fat. If bread fits in your budget, enjoy!

^^^ <3
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered that 90 cal. whole wheat tortillas are a great substitute at times. Toast them in the oven and they become a delicious start for individual pizzas.
  • sylv1979
    sylv1979 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you cut the crusts off bread you are losing half the calories there, I do it and 2 slice less than 100 cals :)
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    some have mentioned lettuce wraps.
    I recently discovered "La Tortilla Factory" low carb high fiber tortilla's one tortilla 50 calories, 2gm fat, 7gm fiber
    they are a bit dense but a great option! I love a burrito with black beans, onions and salsa :smile: Yummie - which reminds me - I am out of onions!