Juicing, Day 1.

Options
2»

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea! Don't be discouraged! Just use your head and choose a large variety veggies/ fruits to make sure your getting all your nutrients. People underestimate the power of plants! We think we NEED solid foods. In fact, this may be what you need to boost that metabolism and kick start some serious weight loss. People juice all the time. Just be sensible and if your body is giving you signals that it is really hungry, then eat. It's that simple! :)

Good luck! You'll do great- and remember to keep it short-term.:happy:

YES! I agree juice the rainbow of veggies..... BUT... go heavy on the leafy greens... I tried to always include every color in my juices... but I REALLY focused on the kale/collards/spinach/chard/beet greens, etc.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    What you can expect is a serious loss of muscle mass, some dehydration and water weight loss (temporary) and headaches and feeling crappy because your body is not getting the nourishment it needs.....
    Other than that - NO....don't do it....

Are you speaking from experience? I had quite a different experience.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Hey Pals,
    I am starting a juice fast today. Has anyone else done this before or is anyone doing it now? I am not sure what to expect, but I'm determined. Any advice would be appreciate it!

tumblr_m70xugl7U91qg8985.gif

please don't do this. all you'll do is shed some water weight temporarily doing a short term fast. if you do it for the long term, you will deprive your body of nutrients. you can lose weight doing this, but it's no different than the amount you'd lose by eating those same foods and it won't be the juice that has anything to do with the loss, but the fact that you're maintaining a caloric deficit. you'd likely enjoy eating the food a lot more than drinking it.

MFP exists to help educate people so they don't have to resort to gimmicks like these.

anybody on here who told you that it's a good idea to do a juice fast should be immediately put on ignore.
  • Niki_lee82
    Niki_lee82 Posts: 11
    Options
    I was very suprised at the lack of support here...sorry you had to go through that! No worrries about what others think though, just keep on rollin! :happy:
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend ONLY drinking juice for any amount of time. However, I have started juicing, and enjoy a juice drink each day before my workout, in addition to eating solid foods. It's a great way to get in extra nutrients if you're like me and not a huge fan of eating a ton of fruits and vegetables.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend ONLY drinking juice for any amount of time. However, I have started juicing, and enjoy a juice drink each day before my workout, in addition to eating solid foods. It's a great way to get in extra nutrients if you're like me and not a huge fan of eating a ton of fruits and vegetables.

As long as you get sufficient fiber and otherwise eat a balanced diet then this makes sense. Depriving yourself does not.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I've done it. You will mostly get negative responses here, but I felt great on my juice fast and lost 18 pounds in 19 days. And food tastes unbelieveably fantastic when you beak fast.

One tip- you want to avoid pulpy juice (no smoothies!) as it will make you hungry. After a few days your digestive system will quiet way down and leave you alone. It's resting, so you don't want to wake it up to digest pulp. That's one of the benefits-- you give your system a rest.

One of my favorite combinations is watermelon and carrot. Delicious You can use most of the white part of the watermelon too. But there are plenty of good cominations. Experiement. Have you seen the movie Fat, Sick, and Almost Dead? Maybe that's where you got the idea...

I hope I don't get flamed. Yes, you will gain back some of what you lose. But it could kick off a plan of healthier eating if you go into it with that in mind.

I'm always curious as to why people believe your digestive system require a 'rest'. It's not like you sit there and think, 'My heart has been beating for a long time, I bet it needs a rest.'
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    No ™
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I was very suprised at the lack of support here...sorry you had to go through that! No worrries about what others think though, just keep on rollin! :happy:

Yes, ignore the people that know what they're talking about. Excellent advice. Also, your contribution of "boosting metabolism to kick start weight loss" was superb. Well done.

OR the op could listen to all the "harsh, yet knowledgeable" advice being offered. There's always that, too.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

I'm always curious as to why people believe your digestive system require a 'rest'. It's not like you sit there and think, 'My heart has been beating for a long time, I bet it needs a rest.'

Or your lungs need to stop breathing. Some people do take a break from having their brains do any thinking though.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Yes, ignore the people that know what they're talking about. Excellent advice. Also, your contribution of "boosting metabolism to kick start weight loss" was superb. Well done.

OR the op could listen to all the "harsh, yet knowledgeable" advice being offered. There's always that, too.

Listen to people who have actually achieved their goals and been able to maintain them?? Pish posh
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Have you considered the Virgin Diet? I heard about it on MFP.

I prefer to eat my virgins. See no reason to give them up or cut down on them.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    I've done it. You will mostly get negative responses here, but I felt great on my juice fast and lost 18 pounds in 19 days. And food tastes unbelieveably fantastic when you beak fast.

One tip- you want to avoid pulpy juice (no smoothies!) as it will make you hungry. After a few days your digestive system will quiet way down and leave you alone. It's resting, so you don't want to wake it up to digest pulp. That's one of the benefits-- you give your system a rest.

One of my favorite combinations is watermelon and carrot. Delicious You can use most of the white part of the watermelon too. But there are plenty of good cominations. Experiement. Have you seen the movie Fat, Sick, and Almost Dead? Maybe that's where you got the idea...

I hope I don't get flamed. Yes, you will gain back some of what you lose. But it could kick off a plan of healthier eating if you go into it with that in mind.

LOL! to funny
  • astrampe
    Options
    What you can expect is a serious loss of muscle mass, some dehydration and water weight loss (temporary) and headaches and feeling crappy because your body is not getting the nourishment it needs.....

No - not PERSONAL experience as I was never uninformed enough to do something so utterly nonsensical to my body - I sort of like it a lot and have only one.....:love:
    But I have seen friends do it and the results were not pretty - How much of the 18 lbs you lost in 19 days do you think was muscle and water....Water is easy to get back - muscle ? Not so easy.....:noway:
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

No - not PERSONAL experience as I was never uninformed enough to do something so utterly nonsensical to my body - I sort of like it a lot and have only one.....:love:
    But I have seen friends do it and the results were not pretty - How much of the 18 lbs you lost in 19 days do you think was muscle and water....Water is easy to get back - muscle ? Not so easy.....:noway:

Were your friends monitoring their protein intake during their juice fast? Perhaps better advice might be to suggest that she monitor her protein intake and stay above the minimum recommended 46 grams of protein. I found it VERY easy to exceed the recommended minimum 46 grams of protein. Again, I was VERY green heavy and hardly any fruit.
  • tarynchatfield
    tarynchatfield Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Don't go into a juice fast aiming to lose weight. Anything you lose will be water weight and you will gain most, if not all, of it back.

I went into it intending to kick off a healthier lifestyle, and it worked for me. That being said, I'm an all-or-nothing type, so this IS an extreme. I did it a couple months ago and felt great and very energetic. I think it's due to the fact I had a horrible diet, eating out for nearly every meal and eating little to no fruits or vegetables. When my body was getting nutrients, it was probably just overjoyed :D Be careful. Drink plenty of green juices and minimize your purely fruit juices because the high amount of sugar gave me headaches.
    After a week, I suddenly got very weak and couldn't keep on going. However, I have noticed since then that my body craves different foods and I have been eating healthier.
  • astrampe
    Options

Were your friends monitoring their protein intake during their juice fast? Perhaps better advice might be to suggest that she monitor her protein intake and stay above the minimum recommended 46 grams of protein. I found it VERY easy to exceed the recommended minimum 46 grams of protein. Again, I was VERY green heavy and hardly any fruit.

OK...we have different ideas on the minimum protein intake - I run, I lift weights and swing heavy kettlebells...My minimum protein intake is 120g per day - so 46g from green food will not work... I am almost 45 - I need my muscles now, and I will need them even more when I am 70 and want to get off the couch without assistance.....

And the science behind losing 18lbs in 19 days is clear - a huge amout of that will be muscle mass.....

It has been proved that "detoxing" is a myth if you have healthy kidneys and a liver....
    My digestive system do not need rest - neither does my heart and lungs, and eating clean healthy fresh food and drinking enough water is all you need......
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hey Pals,
    I am starting a juice fast today. Has anyone else done this before or is anyone doing it now? I am not sure what to expect, but I'm determined. Any advice would be appreciate it!

You'll get some pithy a sarcastic replies in this thread. Enjoy. ;)

I wouldn't call it a fast, as you are taking in nutrition, a fast means you are not taking in nutrition, it's a fine point, but a world of difference.

I did a 3 day juice "fast" and it was great, had a ton of energy, wasn't tired or hungry, all in all was good for me. Since then I have been juicing in the mornings, and I feel good, bright, awake and not to sound like a dip... alive. I enjoy it very much, but I don't really juice fruits. Then from there I'll eat a lot of good protein and have a normal dinner.

I'd say juicing has improved things for me, but I'm also taking a rather sensible approach to it, using it as a supplment, I also feel sick if I eat food in the morning, but drinking is fine. :)