Hi! Looking for 50 and over for mutual support.

Options

Replies

• pamhoffca
    pamhoffca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm fresh off of my 55th birthday and sick of having this "over 50" belly. I have about 25-30 to lose and have had trouble motivating. I will lose 5 to 8 pounds and then get bored, or stop whatever progam I'm following. Just the past 2 weeks I tried the "Fat Belly Cure" from a book I checked out of the library - big mistake!! Gained 3 pounds in that 2 weeks...lol. So that was obviously not for me...lol!! So I found this Myfitnesspal ap on my ipad and love it! Really helps me to track my eating and to see that my "small snacks" really adds up!!

I would love some MFP friends in my age range to support me and for me to support. Not sure how that works on here? Do we add each other to our friends settings?

Joann - I have knee problems too. Had surgery for a torn meniscus on the left one about 10 years ago. Will most likely need the right one done in the future. I fully expect knee replacements on both by the time I'm 65. I have osteo artheritis like my mom and she had both knees done. My older sister is having her hip replaced the end of this month. Hang in there - getting the weight off really helps!

My id is pamhoffca if anyone wants to add me.

I live in Ventura County California (where the fires have been blazing this week)

Pam
  • NoraisTreble
    NoraisTreble Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started MFP faithfully in February after my endocrinologist said I was prediabetic. He said I needed to be 140 by June, or I was looking at medication. I don't do meds - except for my thyroid medication (my thyroid was irradiated aka "killed off" 11 years ago). I am down 14.5 lbs since that visit. I log everything that I eat and drink, walk daily, and just today started the 30 Day Shred. I feel stronger, and although the weight doesn't melt off like it did when I was 30, I think I can make my doctor's goal weight (140lbs) before my next visit. My goal weight is 125lbs (5 years ago, I was 115 lbs and a size 4 - I will be happy with a comfy 6-8). It is possible for all of us!! :-) Feel free to friend me.
  • cyndilie
    cyndilie Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi there, I'm new to MFP as well, and I'm 56 years old. I've been at this pretty seriously for about three weeks and I'm afraid to get on the scales because I don't feel like I've lost anything, but I know something will happen if I keep it up. I tried low-carb for a week and lost 5 pounds, but then didn't lose another pound even though I was very strict with the carbs. Decided that's not the best way to go for me and joined MFP to count the calories. I haven't had a Dr Pepper in a month. That was the hardest thing to give up, but hopefully the rewards will make it worth the loss.
  • net52
    net52 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello,

I began a new eating plan the end of 2012 with a great yeast free eating plan. The weight came off pretty effortlessly at first. I was down about one dress size or 10 lbs and then hit a plateau. I refused to give up this time and began a moderate exercise regime...my clothes became looser. I do not weigh myself because of an old eating disorder. The loose clothing became my motivation. A little over a month ago I discovered MFP. All I can say is wow! Keeping at 1200 calories a day is just where I need to be. I look forward each day to see where I stand, I used to estimate and now know I can't do that. Since giving up yeast, sugar and dairy, (all things I used to crave), I feel so much better, sleep better and have so much more energy. I don't have unhealthy cravings anymore but seem to crave a healthy smoothie, fresh fruit or even veggies at times. Go figure. I am going to try this support group because I have never tried an online support group before. So far all the new things I have been trying have helped me so very much so I am open to new ideas. Sorry I am getting carried away on this, but I have a tendency to talk a lot when I am excited about something..... :-)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 57. I lost 12 lbs. before joining MFP and another 12 after joining. It took me about 5 months to lose this weight. I am now trying to maintain my loss with the help of MFP. What helped me jump start my weight loss is I gave up bread, rice, pasta for a month and limited processed food as much as possible. I also tried to not eat after 7 p.m. I also try to walk 30-60 minutes a day. Feel free to friend me. Welcome to MFP.
  • triptohawaii
    Options
    Me too. I just don't seem to have the motivation but need to lose 20 lbs. for a trip to Hawaii and a family wedding. I started one month ago but just got back to it yesterday. I wonder if you set your calorie intake too high?
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 51 (so just barely over 50!!) . I've lost 78 pounds in a year. Don't you know...slow and steady wins the race!!:happy:
    I'm on here everyday. You can add me. Good luck!
  • triptohawaii
    Options
    Thank you so much. Hmmm...what to do to add you?
  • birdgal
    birdgal Posts: 17
    Options
    I am 59 years young and have been maintaining a 100 lb weight loss for two years. I did sleeve surgery, which helped to reset my metabolism and helped me to reach my goal weight. I log my food everyday, weigh myself daily and take my weekly weight on Sunday. I eat as cleanly as I can, moderate carb, high protein, no rice, pasta, bread. I weight train 3 days per week, go to spin class 2 times/week (more if I can) and use the treadmill, step mill, and rowing machine. I try to do TRX a couple of times per month.

Weight loss and maintenance require significant changes in lifestyle to have long lasting success.

Feel free to add me.
  • ddellner
    ddellner Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 73 and been on here since the middle of January. I lost pretty fast at first (probably water weight) but the past month it has been up and down with the same 5-6 pounds. I recently upped my calories to see if that would help. There is a lot of information on this site and most everyone is very helpful Feel free to add me if you would like and don't be discourage.
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Morning all~
    (well morning here in WV)
    How is everyone doing this fine (but chilly here) spring day?
    Any good suggestions that worked for you recently?
    A new recipe maybe?
  • susannah2000
    Options
    Hi, I am Susannah and am brand new here. I am 56 and live in the Pacific Northwest. I have been trying on my own to lose weight for the past two months and not too much is happening. It's frustrating all right! It is great to find a place to meet others who are having the same challenges. :smile:
  • daybydaybyday
    Options
    Welcome. I'm 57 years old here, 120 pounds to lose, just started this last week-- would welcome any new friends my age. We definitely have specific challenges to overcome!
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    I am also in the over 50 crowd. My journey on MFP has been over a year now. Have lost just a little, but had lost 9 lbs. before joining. I have recently visited a nutritionist as encouragement to continue this but with new information to help me along. I was doing great and then I went on vacation...just returning. I know I did some damage but our mantra is...today is a new day. Get right back up and start fresh. Never give up!! We will win!! :-)
  • lynnelynsey
    lynnelynsey Posts: 20
    Options
    you can add me if you like.i am 53 and been on this just over 2 week.on day 5 of level 1 (30 day shred).would like friends around my age.lynne
  • beadpimp
    beadpimp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 and I'm finding the weight is coming off very slowly! but I just try to keep in mind to use small goal and I know I will get there at some point!
  • MichelleMac58
    MichelleMac58 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi Susannah..........feel free to add me for support.... My fitness pal keeps me accountable to the food I put in my mouth. Trying to lose can be very frustrating but you're not alone. Take it day by day and don't be too hard on yourself....there's always tomorrow. I started losing with a cleanse which kick started me into being conscious of what I eat and I didn't want to feel blah anymore. Started mfp in march and by eating healthy I continue to lose but very slowly...but that's okay I'm eating healthy and feel so much better mentally and physically and eventually I'll be at my goal...you can too!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see the meaning of your name change to Fabulous Vs Fat! :)

I'm "Only" 47 so I don't know if I qualify, and I have two little kids so I have the extra stumbling blocks of time with them (I stumble because if I workout in front of them, they get in my way - literraly!)

Its frustrating when you're doing well and things haven't changed yet. Sometimes the body says "wait, what are you DOING?" and holds on to everything, but it can't do that forever.

The weight didn't go on right away, so it takes the same time to take it off.... darn.

Add me if you think we'd match
    Nancy
  • calcount55
    calcount55 Posts: 3
    Options
    I just started this week too. Not a real big fan of the scale so I plan on weighing only once or less a week. Famous last words lol we'll see how that goes anyhoo always open to new friends, new opinions feel free to add me everyone
  • goodvictory
    Options
    I'm 75 and just starting on this website. I like it so far. I am not losing weight yet, but I'm adjusting to eating right.