Need help please!

Options
Hi! I really need help with how to stop overeating. I do so good with eating healthy and in moderation during the day time and then in the evening I go all out with anything in the cupboards, mostly handfuls and handfuls of nuts. I know it is not healthy and I feel horrible when I finish and the whole next day, but usually the same thing happens that night. It can be whole containers of icecream, chips, cookies, bars, fruit, cereal, crackers, candy, chocolate...anything I crave. I end up eating 5000+calories and I didn't want to but I feel like I need more even then. I tell myself that I wont do it anymore and do good for about three days maximum then go right back to the binges. Anyone else go through that? How can I overcome it?

Replies

• rhoward66
    rhoward66 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Clean out your fridge/freezer/pantry. Take away those temptations!
  • MrsBattousai
    MrsBattousai Posts: 171
    Options
    Hey!

First of all don't beat yourself up, we all have those times where we fall off the wagon! One idea is find someone to do at night to get you out of the house away of the food. Also don't have you bad foods in the house. Drink alot of water and chew gum that helps me. But the thing that really helps me is getting out of the house or out of the kitchen.

Good luck you can do it!
  • 194Days
    194Days Posts: 16
    Options
    I have the same problem... lately I've been stopping myself and just going to bed for the night. It's weird at first, but I find when I wake up in the morning I feel so much better - well rested and proud that I didn't over do it the night before... breaking the cycle is the hardest part!
  • nikkieliivey
    nikkieliivey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I totally feel your pain! I used to do exactly the same thing. Here are some things I started doing to help.

1. I always remember nothing tastes as good as thin, and healthy, for that matter feels. I used to feel like total and utter crap after I finished overeating. Eating solved nothing- in fact it just made me want to eat more. I used to be like
    "just one little bite of this, or a taste of that" but one little bite did not fill any void. Food can't fill the void.

2. I started eating dinner in my room. This way once I'm done I have no excuse to go down to the kitchen. I just take the plates down in the morning. It is hard being in the kitchen putting food away and cleaning, so I do all of that before and then eat in my room. Recently, I have gained enough control to go back to eating in the kitchen, but I still try to clean-up before and if feeling a serious lack of willpower back up to my room I go.

3. I put all of my snack foods in portioned out bags so I know what I am consuming. I used to trick myself that I had eaten less than I really had. Now I measure everything!

4. I log every little thing I put in my mouth. Some days I don't really want to, but I force myself. It gets tedious logging a pinch of that and handful of this, which I think made me realize that in a 30min-1 hr window I was not only wasting time having to log all of this food but I was nullifying all the hardwork and progress I had made during the day!

5. I eat a dessert now. I do South Beach Diet so they have ricotts dessert that we can have. I'm not sure why but having a dessert or just something allotted after dinner has made a world of difference.

6. Willpower. It is hard. There is no magic cure....and if there is I will be sure to let ya know once I get some :) You can do it!
  • guitargirl53
    Options
    Thanks! My only problem is that others in the house do most shopping and they love my favorite junk foods...But I wont buy them anymore
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    :happy: It takes 28 days to start a new habit or to break an old one. I've been trying for 3 months to break the same bad habit you are fighting. My greatest weapon has been lots of water. I try not to eat anything else after dinner except maybe a fruit or lo-cal yogurt. I haven't made it a full 28 day stretch but Im getting closer. Good luck and don't give up. Its a battle worth winning!!:wink:
  • guitargirl53
    Options
    Thank you guys for all your help...its nice to know I'm not the only one who has struggled with it. I will take your tips to heart.
  • edgeno
    edgeno Posts: 9
    Options
    guitargirl
    I saw a show on that a woman lost 100lbs. She did the same thing you did not eat all day and pig out at night.
    She changed her routine and started eating suppers in the morning she ate all she wanted to in the morning like she did at night.
    Her weight started to come off even though she was eating the same as she always did.
    When her weight started coming off she really got motivated and she found herself not eating as much(she just didn't want to her appetite diminished)
    Hope this helps
    Good luck
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am not the expert here, like you I would eat and eat and eat. It didn't matter what it was if it was in my place I would eat it. I would
    even eat my granddaughters snacks. What I did....first off I stopped buying ANYTHING that was not healthy. Second thing I did was toss everything out!!! Third thing I did was I went and purged my system of all sugar and starch & carbs. I use to crave the carbs. I didn't eat ANYTHING like breads, rice, sugar of any kind, no pasta not even the wheat, no chips, no snacks, no fast foods, in fact no eating out at all....nothing like that for 2 weeks.
    It was very hard on me since I love carbs....but I did it. After the 2 weeks I started adding the fruits, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat
    bread and I can not believe how better I feel after doing that.
    If it is not healthy I don't buy it. Now my granddaughter gets fruits, cheese for snacks.
    If you just don't buy it you will not be able to eat it.

I treat myself now to a fast food or sometimes if I really am craving something I will eat it but only part of it. When I go out I will ask for a box and when my food comes I divide it up right then. I also know that if I do eat something I know I have to exercise extra hard.
    Are you getting up and doing something? Walk down the street. The first time I did that I couldn't even make it to the corner. I know it can be done...make yourself!!
    I hope this helps and best of luck to you.
    Mary
  • emilyyoder
    Options
    Hi! I really need help with how to stop overeating. I do so good with eating healthy and in moderation during the day time and then in the evening I go all out with anything in the cupboards, mostly handfuls and handfuls of nuts. I know it is not healthy and I feel horrible when I finish and the whole next day, but usually the same thing happens that night. It can be whole containers of icecream, chips, cookies, bars, fruit, cereal, crackers, candy, chocolate...anything I crave. I end up eating 5000+calories and I didn't want to but I feel like I need more even then. I tell myself that I wont do it anymore and do good for about three days maximum then go right back to the binges. Anyone else go through that? How can I overcome it?

You know, I was in treatment oncce with a girl who had this same problem - this may sound silly - but she decided to go to bed naked, since there was other ppl in the house, she really wouldnt feel like getting all dressed again just to go eat! silly, maybe - but it actually worked! :) you can do this!!!!!!! i know you can :)
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    First do NOT buy that unhealthy stuff :wink:
    If others are buying it. Tell tell how you need to be healthy.
    I hope they will be understanding. Maybe you can work with them to get healthy snacks?
    Every one should eat healthy . Even if they are not trying to lose weight.
    If it is not there, you can not eat it.
    Know that even though it feels like a battle. You can Win!!
    You can do this. It is not always easy, but it is always worth it!!
    Drink a lot of water. That will fill you up.
    Try your best.

Remember to LOG EVERYTHING.
    I was very surprised how much I was eating. It did not look like a lot until I logged it all.

Any way , Best of Luck. I know you can Get Healthy!!:flowerforyou:
  • guitargirl53
    Options
    Thank you! I just joined my fitness pal last night so i am determined to log my new eating habits.
  • guitargirl53
    Options
    Thank you! I just joined my fitness pal last night so i am determined to log my new eating habits.
  • peck113
    peck113 Posts: 19
    Options
    If this has been going on for more than 6 months then you really need to seek professional help. I could be that you have a disorder called BED, Beinge-Eating Disorder. Just a thought. I have some phone numbers and email addresses if you would like.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You should also try to think about what exactly you are doing when you head towards the pantry or cupboard .. are you really hungry or are you bored? was there a converstation that preceeds the eating? part of the fix will be finding out the reason for the action.. if it is boredom, do you have hobbies or other interests.. I know when I am simply watching tv, I am more prone to mindless snacking but if I am reading or cleaning or exercising, food doesn't even cross my mind. You have already taken a huge step towards change by joining MFP .. you can achieve your goals.. and you will find lots of support here to help you on your way.