Resistance Bands vs. Weights

Options
Is there really a big difference? I have lots of Beachbody video's that use resistance bands, and I'm limited to the weights in my office gym. Will resistance bands burn the same amount of fat that lifting weights would? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    No, they will not. Free Weights > Everything else, regardless of your goal.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands will not burn any fat. But then, neither will any other exercise. Eating at a caloric deficit burns fat. Lifting weights WILL promote retention of lean body mass (muscle fiber) while eating at a deficit so that you don't end up skinnyfat, and also promote new muscle growth so you actually end up shapely and lean looking when you've shed the fat.

As Loftearmen says, free weights ftw. There is nothing better for you overall than barbell compound lifting, regardless of what your overall fitness goals are.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I did P90x over the winter. I started with the 5 and 10 lb dumbbells that I had at the time. When I needed to move up to heavier weight/more resistance, I bought a couple bands because they were a lot cheaper than buying 15 and 20 lb dumbbells. I hated the bands. I used them once and returned them the next day. I found them to be really awkward to hold and do the moves with. Plus, you never really know "how much" you're actually lifting. Yes, you can step on the band to make a shorter loop and more resiistance, but you never really know if you're using the same size loop as any other day.

When I was done with P90x, I started Stronglifts 5x5, for which I use my Olympic bar and plates. But the 20 lb dumbbells that I ended up buying will come in handy for accessory moves. I don't think I'd ever use the bands again if I still had them.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Use them together like peanut butter and chocolate. For added resistance use resistance bands on your squats, deadlifts and bench presses. It makes the latter part of each concentric rep (the positive portion {the part where you fight gravity usually by lifting stuff up}] more difficult and the eccentric portion (negative or lowering portion, depending on exercise) becomes easier as tension is released from the bands. It's popular amongst powerlifters and many strength athletes and is gaining popularity.

band_squats.jpg
  • pamelabaylor
    pamelabaylor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started using bands and I'm seeing better results than I had with free weights. They are inexpensive and come in a bag that can easily fit in a suitcase for traveling. I've even brought them to the gym and used them there. Sometimes my wrists hurt when I lift heavier weights for bicep curls, but that's not the case with the bands.

I do my own 'bootcamp' for 30 minutes
    pushups
    standing abs
    Bands
    overhead press
    biceps
    back
    triceps
    abs
    jumping jacks

In 30 minutes, I've burned ~150 calories

Exercise Variable Resistance Band 5-level Latex Tubes - Set
    http://www.amazon.com/Exercise-Variable-Resistance-5-level-Latex/dp/B003XUVA4O/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367966422&sr=1-2&keywords=exercise+bands
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Use them together like peanut butter and chocolate. For added resistance use resistance bands on your squats, deadlifts and bench presses. It makes the latter part of each concentric rep (the positive portion {the part where you fight gravity usually by lifting stuff up}] more difficult and the eccentric portion (negative or lowering portion, depending on exercise) becomes easier as tension is released from the bands. It's popular amongst powerlifters and many strength athletes and is gaining popularity.

band_squats.jpg

ummm.....this doesn't seem particularly relevant to the OP. she's not an advanced powerlifter trying to increase the torque on her max lifts.
  • xybernaut
    xybernaut Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I did P90x and struggled with the Pull Ups / Chin Ups etc... The Resistance bands helped me to gain strength so near the End I was able to do the Pull Ups etc without using a chair for assistance, I think they have a place in your workout.
  • ThatDamnRobyn
    ThatDamnRobyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked the bands. I really prefer the feel of the free weights. But I've invested a lot in them and I'm not sure how many more I want to buy. I have 3, 5, 8, 10, 12 and 15. A friend is going to sell me some cheap 20s. Also, they take up more space in my den.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If you travel or have limited space or no access to free weights, then use the bands. Are they a perfect substitute? No. But it isn't all or nothing with resistance training. It isn't "use the barbell or just give up." Strength training is a good thing in any form you can get it.

Use the bands if that is what you have access to. Buy the big set on Amazon if you can. That way, as you progress, you'll have the added resistance.
  • Loftearmen
    Options

band_squats.jpg
    The op isn't advanced enough to train with westside barbell principles lol.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    I just started using bands and I'm seeing better results than I had with free weights. They are inexpensive and come in a bag that can easily fit in a suitcase for traveling. I've even brought them to the gym and used them there. Sometimes my wrists hurt when I lift heavier weights for bicep curls, but that's not the case with the bands.

I do my own 'bootcamp' for 30 minutes
    pushups
    standing abs
    Bands
    overhead press
    biceps
    back
    triceps
    abs
    jumping jacks

In 30 minutes, I've burned ~150 calories

Exercise Variable Resistance Band 5-level Latex Tubes - Set
    http://www.amazon.com/Exercise-Variable-Resistance-5-level-Latex/dp/B003XUVA4O/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367966422&sr=1-2&keywords=exercise+bands

If you are getting better results with bands than with weights you weren't lifting weights properly.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    NO
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are basically a poor man's alternative to dumbbells. There are a lot of exercises you can't do with weights you can do with them, and vice-versa. However they are not as versatile in their usefulness. You can get a decent workout with them yes, but you're limited in your exercise selection and beyond certain tension levels resistance bands can be harder on the joints and tendons than weights.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    If I had the loot lying around, I'd get some Select techs from Bowflex. Right now, I have resistance bands,they're meh.
    Standard weights for dumb bell/barbell and Olympic weight for dumb bell/ barbell.

And I have kettlebells to boot, too.

I like the feel and heft of weights. It's manly.

Resistance bands can break down over time, or so I've been told.

Invest in yourself, buy some weights, you're worth it! (Consider the cost of fitness equipment, even if you went full psycho and bought everything you could think of, it'll probably never come close to the average, uncovered cost of a hospital stay)
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the DVDs because I've never seen them. I do have an Oly" set, squat rack and a resistance band set. I use all of it depending on what I'm doing and where I am. I used the bands along with body weight and assorted household stuff until I got the Oly' set. Now the bands are mainly for travel, warm-ups for my weaker lifts (OHP) and sometimes attached to the Oly' bar to add fractional progression when I couldn't get the full 5lb progression.
  • AmandaMaitland
    AmandaMaitland Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you reply! I just recently bought New Rules of Lifting for Women, and I was planning on starting to lift weights today. I was mainly asking out of curiosity!
  • Kristinam921
    Kristinam921 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    To me free weights are better. But the advantage resistance bands have is you can stretch your muscles at the same time. A good mixture of the two is wonderful for your body. Jillian Michael's online has AMAZING strength training workouts. It incorporates both dumbells and resistance bands, along with using your own body weight. I love it for building my strength up.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    ye s theres a big difference
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,533 Member
    Options
    Is there really a big difference? I have lots of Beachbody video's that use resistance bands, and I'm limited to the weights in my office gym. Will resistance bands burn the same amount of fat that lifting weights would? Thanks in advance!
    Resistance bands don't have "negative" (eccentric contraction) resistance and that's more responsible for muscle breakdown to "harden" it up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands don't have "negative" (eccentric contraction) resistance and that's more responsible for muscle breakdown to "harden" it up.

I don't like resistance bands at all but this statement seems false.