I just can't seem to get all my protein in!

Options
I my protein is set at 35% and I am having a hard time meeting that goal.

I don't feel the need to open up my diary, but I eat mostly veggies, fruits, beans, milk/yogurt, eggs, nuts, some meat, and definitely some starchy foods (love bread & pasta, so I definitely don't give up carbs, but I am watching my portions). Sometimes I also drink protein shakes.

Should I start eating more meat?

Replies

• Viva81Diva
    Viva81Diva Posts: 148
    Options
    Here's a link that lists info on foods high in protein. Perhaps you can incorporate some of these into your meals. Good luck! :)

http://www.heartspring.net/list_of_high_protein_foods.html
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Tough to give advice without seeing your diary. Eat more eggs, poultry, fish, cottage cheese, yogurts, nuts, mushrooms, spinach, etc.
  • sittingontopoftheworld
    Options
    Thanks for the advice both of you, and especially for that link viva81diva! I'll definitely try to incorporate more of these foods into my diet!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    hmm I like salmon is yummy lean and full of protein
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you have to consciously make sure to eat enough protein. Some good sources are cottage cheese, cheese sticks, meat (obviously), yogurt, and you can always mix up a whey protein shake if necessary.
  • nobbta
    nobbta Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just curious what do you have your carbs & fat set at?

• artistryrose
    artistryrose Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    eat nuts or a spoonful of peanut butter! and Greek yogurt!!!
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Eat nuts or a protein shake! :D
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I have eggs every morning, greek yogurt, tuna, salmon, tofu, lots of grilled chicken (about 3 times a week for me) and protein shakes on workout days.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    My goto high protein foods = Milk (usually skim), eggs, egg whites, Greek yogurt, lean chicken, lean beef, canned chunk light tuna, Kashi GOLEAN original cereal (13g of protein per cup), some breads / buns have more protein than others, potatoes, beans, swiss cheese, peanut butter, and recently I've taken a liking to the Myoplex Lite protein drinks. They've got 20g of protein and tons of vitamins / minerals. But I would prefer to buy ON's natural whey - just can't afford it currently. Also salmon occasionally - or any fish / seafood, really. Jerky is good, but very salty.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    35% is a really high target. You have it set there for some reason I assume?

I don't target a percent but I do target a range of numbers based on my LBM and whether I am doing heavy lifting or not. Right now I aim for between 128 and 136 grams of protein a day. At my current calories (around 2400) that works out to about 20% protein (I'm between 40-45% carbs and the rest fat).

Ways I get protein (non meat):
    * Vega smoothie protein powder (vegan, plant-based) - Tropical Tango is the best flavor
    * the Simply Bar (lots of flavors, protein comes from soy, very low-cal for 16g protein!)
    * protein powder (lots of options: whey, pea protein, soy protein, brown rice protein, hemp protein, etc.)
    * hard boiled eggs
    * nuts and nut butters

Meat options:
    * seasoned grilled chicken as a snack
    * pouch of tuna salad mix (or plain tuna mixed with some pickle relish)
    * beef, salmon, and turkey jerky (I eat lots of potassium to counteract the sodium)
  • nobbta
    nobbta Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I found a clean chocolate mousse on Pinterest that's high protein. 10gms cottage cheese & 1x scoop chocolate protein powder. Is actually really nice. Just don't let it sit. Make & eat straight away or it gets a bit gluggy.
  • sittingontopoftheworld
    Options
    Just curious what do you have your carbs & fat set at?

Carbs set at 45% and fat at 20%
  • sittingontopoftheworld
    Options

I set it that way because I want to lose fat and not LBM. Looking around at different resources led me to think this was a good balance of macros.
  • sittingontopoftheworld
    Options
    Yeah, you have to consciously make sure to eat enough protein. Some good sources are cottage cheese, cheese sticks, meat (obviously), yogurt, and you can always mix up a whey protein shake if necessary.

I didn't really realize that I'd have to consciously make sure I got enough, but it seems that other people are that way too. I'll definitely try to focus on protein when I'm meal planning.

At some point down the line, I'll probably be trying to bulk, so I gotta get this protein thing going right now. :tongue:
  • sittingontopoftheworld
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone!!!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    peanut butter
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I set it that way because I want to lose fat and not LBM. Looking around at different resources led me to think this was a good balance of macros.

%'s are arbitrary as calorie targets change. 1g/lb of LBM is a good minimum however the resistance training is more important than the protein intake for retention of LBM.

I believe the question re protein sources has been answered now.
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, beans
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    mlk