Vegan/vegetarian diet - any good proteins I'm missing out on

Options
Anyone else starting to struggle with trying to make sure that you are eating as much protein as you should?

I'm trying to add stuff such as beans, nuts, lentils and even TVP into my routine, and it's been working, but I'm getting heartily sick of eating the same things... just to make sure that I am eating enough protein.

Maybe I've just run out of ideas? If I'm feeling bored now... I'm worried that I will feel even more unenthusiastic about what I'm eating in a few weeks time...

Any advice?

Replies

• xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    searchingthehours is a vegan, ask her xxx
  • molberts
    molberts Posts: 35
    Options
    Tofu (yum), soya or rice milk yogurts/cheese/milk for protein.

An excellent way to get in some extra iron is to cook up a nice stew in a tomato based sauce in a cast iron pot - leave overnight and eat the next day. Make it a nice bean/lentil rich stew and that combined with the reaction of the tomatoes absorbing some of the iron overnight will have you feeling GREAT after eating!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Tofu, Tempeh, are great and take on the flavor of what you are cooking it in. Seeds are another good source.
  • jsandford
    jsandford Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks guys. Seeds/tofu/tempah might be the route then... now to find somewhere in Ireland that sells the non-liquid tofu!! Seriously, you can get 'normal' tofu in a restaurant... but I've only ever seen the silken tofu in stores. Anyone know what you make from silken tofu?? Lol :laugh:
  • molberts
    Options
    Oh you're in Ireland too? Sweet! Cauldron do a firm (aka "normal" tofu!) tofu. It comes in a plastic packet and is in water - you have to take it out and dry it in paper towel. you can then cube it and stirfry with loads of fresh veggies yum yum yum! Superquinn stock it and some dunnes too.

I add silken tofu to scrambled eggs - half and half with some black pepper and a sliced quorn chicken fillet - are you vegan or veggie?
  • Stella_Does
    Options
    This is more for a raw vegan diet but I think there's loads of great advice for non-raw diets too

http://fitnessista.com/2009/10/guest-post-raw-fitness-fueling/
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and Seitan may help your diet become a little more interesting.
  • shanpgh
    shanpgh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Silken tofu is good mixed in a fruit smoothie for a protein boost. Also, Quinoa is a great source of protein. I used to add nuts and beans to a stir fry rice with vegetables. Chili with a variety of beans keeps things interesting. (Yes, garbanzo beans taste great in chili!) Finally, there are some pretty good meat alternatives in the frozen food section that are usually pretty high in protein.

Good luck to you in your journey! :happy:
  • jsandford
    Options
    I'll have to check out Superquinn again then.... that's where I got the silken one from the last time. Hahaha.

I'm vegetarian... but vegan about 5 days a week ;) The only thing I use is some skimmed milk occasionally. I've tried some omelettes over the past two weeks just to break the monotony, but I hate eggs!

I'm currently eating a lot of Quorn products... but lashing on the ketchup to cover up the taste. Sorry.... I'm a fussy devil :p
  • jsandford
    Options
    Ooh smoothies...?? Really? Yum!! Okay, I'm definitely going to try that :smile:

Yup.... I love chilli as well. Made a kinda bean stew a while ago with some chilli which was lovely (and very filling)!

Thanks!
  • molberts
    Options
    If there's an asia market near you you can check out their tofu too - the one in Albert Walk in Bray has the best kind I'm told. In my local Superquinn the silken tofu in on the shelf in the health food aisle but the cauldron tofu is in the fridge if that's any help :wink:

I'm veggie and eat a LOT of quorn products too - the fake bacon is my fave :)

ok if you're not mad on eggs but want the extra protein - maybe try these Dukan pancakes. super quick and easy just egg, skim milk powder and sparkling water. Filling and a sneaky/tasty extra protein source http://mydukandiet.com/recipes/simple-pancakes.html
  • jsandford
    Options
    If there's an asia market near you you can check out their tofu too - the one in Albert Walk in Bray has the best kind I'm told. In my local Superquinn the silken tofu in on the shelf in the health food aisle but the cauldron tofu is in the fridge if that's any help :wink:

I'm veggie and eat a LOT of quorn products too - the fake bacon is my fave :)

ok if you're not mad on eggs but want the extra protein - maybe try these Dukan pancakes. super quick and easy just egg, skim milk powder and sparkling water. Filling and a sneaky/tasty extra protein source http://mydukandiet.com/recipes/simple-pancakes.html

Thanks! I must be looking in the wrong places... it's probably beside the Alpro soya yogurts or something. Doh!

I haven't tried the fake bacon... saw it in Tesco's last week and passed it up. Good tip!!

Thanks for the recipe... haven't had pancakes in ages. For some reason, I always tend to think of them as fattening and stodgy... but that recipe looks great (lots of protein!). :happy: