Could someone please help me read my heart rate monitor!

Options
I just got a heart rate monitor (a Polar FT7) on Saturday to get a better idea of calories burned during my workouts ( I know it's not an exact science but still...). Anyway, I did a cardio workout for 50 minutes that was very difficult for me. My heart rate monitor is saying that my maximum BPM was 182 and my average was 162. My heart rate has always run very high during exercise (from many years ago with a different Polar heart rate monitor), and this one gave me a calorie burn of 516. I am 5'3" and 171 lbs. Does this sound normal or do I need to adjust something on my monitor. Thanks in advance...:smile: !
Christine

Replies

• craigjmorton
    craigjmorton Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would really advise you do a proper HR test. Either at your gym or with some one who knows how to. My timex run trainer HRM came with a booklet which gave a basic example of how to test for your HR. See if the Polar manual has the same thing.

Or you could look here http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=405

Remember, you will also have various zones in which to work and you want to work in those zones which are good for your heart.

For what it is worth I went for a C25K run today and my HR average was 147, with a max of 176. When i do 10 minutes elliptical, my HR is ave of 143 with a max of 159. I am 6'2 and 275lbs.
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have the same unit. Based on what you have said about yourself it sounds about right. That is if you have input your correct age and weight. They aren't exact but pretty close in most cases when doing cardio.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i have an ft80, and for accurate burns i make sure to set my age, weight and height (and adjust it every time i gain or lose) and i did the fit test in the watch to get my approx vo2max for better caluclations...does the ft7 have a vo2 test on it?
  • oex0duso
    oex0duso Posts: 27
    Options
    i have an ft80, and for accurate burns i make sure to set my age, weight and height (and adjust it every time i gain or lose) and i did the fit test in the watch to get my approx vo2max for better caluclations...does the ft7 have a vo2 test on it?

The FT7 does not have the vo2max or at least I don't remember if it asked me for that.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 as well and it sounds just about right
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options

The FT7 does not have the vo2max or at least I don't remember if it asked me for that.

It doesn't
  • Rgtjax85
    Rgtjax85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have not read the instructions on my HRM yet but need to. I advise you to do the same. I know that when I first got my HRM the preset weight was 140 pounds but I am 165 so you need to make sure you have your proper weight listed on the HRM. Once the weight & height info is accurate everything else should line up.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the other advice, but did you go into the settings and input all your data before you used it-height, age, weight, etc.?
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bump, because I would like to know too - I bought a HRM to get a good idea of my calorie burn and "zone" limits and am using it as such, but am not convinced it's working properly.
  • craigjmorton
    Options
    Yes, once you get your HRM/watch, you need to configure it, in terms of your correct weight, height (if needed), age, etc.

Also remember to adjust to the correct units of measurement - eg kilometers or miles.

Then you need to determine your resting heart rate and then your max heart rate. From these two rates you can then determine/calculate the zones that you want to work out in.

There is a very simple formula that is being used by a lot of people but it is not recommended. That formula is 220 - age = Estimated HR.
  • craigjmorton
    Options
    Which Method is Best to Find My Training Heart Rate?
    Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

It seems that there are many ways to determine your training zones from a wide variety of methods. I’m going to explain some of the more popular ways of determining your optimal training zones and give an example for each.

The aerobic training zone that I like to train in is around 70% - 80%. This would be my high-Zone 2 according to the zones that Joe Friel uses in the Triathlete’s Training Bible. In training I would even train at a little lower heart rate just to give myself some room for cardiac drift (when the heart rates rises at the end of a workout due to fatigue). In order to compare these formulas fairly, I will volunteer to be our guinea pig.

Vital Stats:
    Age – 34
    Max Heart Rate – 182 run, 174 bike
    Resting Heart Rate - 40
    Lactate Threshold: 163 run, 156 bike

Key Terms:
    HR = Heart Rate
    MHR = Maximum Heart Rate
    RHR = Resting Heart Rate
    HRR = Heart Rate Reserve or number of beats between your RHR (resting heart rate) and your MHR (maximum heart rate)
    BPM = (Beats Per Minute)

Age-Adjusted Method

The most commonly known way to determine your training zones. We have all seen this one:
    220-age = MHR (maximum heart rate)
    220-34= 186. 186 x .70 (70% of max) = 130
    220-34= 186. 186 x .80 (80% of max) = 148

In this example my Zone 2 aerobic training zones would be from 130-148 BPM.

Karvonen Formula

Another widely accepted method to determine your training zones is this formula. It’s a little more complicated:

The formula is: ((MHR– RHR) x % intensity) + RHR = Training Zone

182 (my max) – 40 (my RHR) = 142
    142 x .70 (70% of max) + 40 (RHR) = 139
    182 (my max) – 40 (my RHR) = 142
    142 x .80 (80% of max) + 40 (RHR) = 153

In this example my Zone 2 aerobic training zones would be from 142-153 BPM

Leger Formula

This formula was invented by Luc Leger, PhD at the University of Montreal. He uses age and a constant 205 to determine training zones.

205-(age x % of intensity)
    205 – (34 x .70 (70% of max) = 181.2

This method is kind of backwards – if I try to determine my upper range of 80% I calculate this: 205 – (34 x .80 (80% of max) = 178 – hmmm – using this method, the higher my range, the lower my heart rate.

So using this method would not be a good way to determine a range.

MAF Method

This is the method developed by Phil Maffetone. This formula determines your maximum aerobic zone. This is what I call high end Zone 2.

Take 180 – Age

We need to adjust this number based on your current level of fitness. Make the following correction as it applies to you:
    » If you do no working out subtract another 10 beats
    » If you workout 1-2 times a week subtract 5 beats
    » If you workout 3-4 times a week leave the number as it is.
    » If you workout 5 or more times as week and have done so for a year or more, then add an additional 5 beats to that number.

If you are about 60 years old or older OR if you are about 20 years old or younger, add an additional 5 beats to the corrected number you now have.

From these adjustments I calculate the following:

180-34= 146

Adjustments: I work out 5 or more times per week so I will add 5 beats to that number.

Using this method, I end up with a maximum aerobic zone of 151.

Freil Method (based on Lactate Threshold):

Using the protocol in the Triathlete’s Training Bible and from my own personal LT tests, I calculated my run Lactate Threshold to be 163. From here I can calculate my Zone 2 ranges. Friel uses the range of 85-90% of LT vs. any MHR formula.

163 x .85 (85 % of LT) = 139
    163 x .90 (90 % of LT) = 147

---> See the "Heart-Rate Zone Testing Protocol And Lactate Threshold" article to find your bike and run zones.

To compare all the tests I put together a chart:

Method

Low-end Aerobic Training Zone (Low Zone 2 according to Friel)

High-end Aerobic Training Zone (High Zone 2 according to Friel)

Age-Adjusted Method

Karvonen Formula

Leger Formula

n/a

MAF Method

n/a

Based on LT by Friel

As you can see, there is some disparity in these methods. Some methods are closer then others and depending on your age, some of these flat out won’t work for you. My thought is to use either the Friel Method or the Karvonen Method. Finding your maximum heart rate is not a lot of fun, trust me I have done it numerous times. My advice is to use the same method all the time, as consistency is your best measuring tool.

Michael Ricci is a USAT certified coach. He can be reached for personal coaching at mike@d3multisport.com.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=405
  • craigjmorton
    Options
    and a simple fill in the numbers to get your heart rate calculator

http://www.briancalkins.com/HeartRate.htm