Which weight in MFP to use?

Options
Here’s a question that I’ve been kicking around.

At the first of the year, I was at my heaviest weight. I started working at losing weight and did good up until March. I slacked off for a few weeks (regret it) HOWEVER in April I joined MFP and really decided to make a lifestyle change.

The total weight loss since January is exactly 30lbs however since I started in April on MFP it’s 11 lbs. Which weight should I use in the MFP tracker, which intern will show the current results, 30lbs loss OR 11lbs loss?

I will admit, seeing 30lbs loss vs. 11lbs is more “rewarding” however I’m not sure which would be more accurate for MFP.

Replies

• Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If you need a visual motivation, change it to 30 lbs. It's your choice.
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I may get slammed for this, but I would say use what makes you happy. You honestly worked to lose that weight so put in your original weight.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP last summer I'd already lost 43 lbs, but at the time I was using a different site and never really transferred to this site fully until this past February. I kind of wish my ticker showed my WHOLE loss and not just the last 12-15 lbs, but it was to late for me to change it at that point. I think you should do what you would like, I agree, showing the whole 30 lbs loss is much more rewarding. If I could do it again, I would change it so it showed the whole loss.

ETA: well now I feel dumb, I just looked and realized I can change just the ticker without changing my stats. HA!
  • traceyleighgirl
    traceyleighgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I added my start weight from last April, even though I started in September on MFP. I know its not accurate for MFP, but you earned that weight loss for your ticker! ;P
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I went back in and retroactively added my heaviest weight. When I only had a couple pounds lost on the counter, I felt like I needed the added motivator. Plus, I'd like to keep track in the long run.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I went with "this time" I've lost weight before, but this time I started in Feb. 2012 and when I switched from WW to MFP exclusively I went with my starting weight from then. I figured it's not like I didn't work and lose the weight why shouldn't I claim it? But, it is totally up to you how you want to do it.

Congrats on your loss!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it doesn't matter unless you care what other people think.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I used my starting weight before I joined.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Here’s a question that I’ve been kicking around.

At the first of the year, I was at my heaviest weight. I started working at losing weight and did good up until March. I slacked off for a few weeks (regret it) HOWEVER in April I joined MFP and really decided to make a lifestyle change.

The total weight loss since January is exactly 30lbs however since I started in April on MFP it’s 11 lbs. Which weight should I use in the MFP tracker, which intern will show the current results, 30lbs loss OR 11lbs loss?

I will admit, seeing 30lbs loss vs. 11lbs is more “rewarding” however I’m not sure which would be more accurate for MFP.

I just asked myself that question yesterday. I originally had it set to 30lb to lose, but then it occurred to me that this isn't the 'start' of my weight loss journey, only another chapter in it. I deserve to see EVERYTHING I have done for myself -- so I changed it to my actual weight loss number.

The choice is up to you, and do what makes you happy. But if I had to vote, I would vote for change it to your 'real' number. :D
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I used my high weight. I'd already lost a little before I joined MFP, so I just back-dated it. I don't think it's "cheating". I just wanted to see my total loss, rather than what I'd lost after joining MFP. Do what suits you!
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs before coming to MFP using a different food diary (Go Meals). When I got a Fitbit I came to MFP so they could sync. I only just a few days ago added my weight that I had lost just prior and up to starting MFP. Why not? I lost it honestly, counting calories just like here. Why not give yourself the credit you are due? :flowerforyou:
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

It's kind of like a badge of honor though I think.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That number is for you and no one else. Put what number you feel you should. Where do you feel you started? I lost a few pounds 5 years ago and never gained it back but didn't continue. I don't put that in my starting weight because for me, that's not where I started when I made this lifestyle change.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    You earned it no matter what your methods are or how they've changed. I say put in the full 30 lbs!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

I really don't think it has anything to do with that.
  • rkfmfp2013
    rkfmfp2013 Posts: 4
    Options
    A week or so ago I too struggled with that questions. Decided to enter my heaviest at 11/1/12, I started MFP on 1/1/13. I feel I earned it and believe you did too!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I entered my heaviest weight. Even though I have gained and lost several times, at one point I weighed my heaviest weight, and I had to work just as hard to lose those pounds as the rest of them. They definitely count!
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I decided to start where I was at when I started on MFP. I had actually lost about 50 lbs since last April, but that was because I had to have emergency double surgery! I considered starting with that, but I didn't really do anything to lose it, and was grateful that I managed to keep it off, only gaining and losing about 5 lbs off and on in the intervening time. When I get to my goal, or at least a lot closer, I might change it, but for now I want to see what progress I am making here and now. So yeah, it's up to you, what makes you happiest.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would use the weight at which I started using MFP. But, as other have said, it doesn't really matter. Do whichever you would like best. :)