I don't understand 30 Day Exercise Challenges

Options
Warchortle
Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
I get the idea of progressive overload and accountability.... but what substantial benefit do you get from training the same muscle group every single day especially on a caloric deficit? Wouldn't a 30 day challenge be better if it were drinking a full 8 glasses of water?

Replies

• Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I believe, like most fitness related trends it is intended to get people off of the couch. The 30 day timeline along with the short workout duration is probably intended to make the whole thing seem like less of a burden and less of a commitment. Also, like most fitness trends, they seem to be targeted to those who are relatively new to fitness.

One of my coworkers was all excited about the 30 day squat challenge. I simply asked her why she didn't do some weighted squats instead of 250 body weight squats. She had no idea and gave me the standard "I don't want to get all bulky" answer.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've just joined the push up one, simply because my upper body strength is poor and i suck at push ups! So thought this will help me improve! I still do my usual 5-6 work outs a week but this is an extra challenge!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else but I like them as a little mini challenge. The squat one was good as I had poor form and balance but by a week in I was doing them well and felt ready to add a little weight. I've kept 100 in my daily routine and I'm going to try my next nemesis, push ups, as my next challenge and I hope I'll improve there too.

I guess its just a focus thing but its a useful tool for beginners like me :)
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I see it as being pretty trendy more than anything. It's what's "in". Monthly challenges. Gives people something to do and shoot for without being something that would be longterm i guess. I don't do them, but i see plenty of people that do it.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll just lump these challenges in with all the females jumping on the 30 DS because they realized they forgot about their New Years Resolution until they wanted to go to the beach.
  • GoddessAndraste
    Options
    I look at it as a way to add a new goal to my routine. I passed on the 30 day squat challenge my friend was doing last month (I have knee issues and squats don't get along well with my joints), but I am doing a 30 day sit-up challenge this month. You asked why people do these. I say, why not? :) Anything that might lead someone to healthier choices is a win in my book.