My home scale was off and I didn't know it! :(

Options
2»

Replies

• monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    how do you know "the most accurate scale in town" wasn't wrong?
    To me, the actual numbers don't matter, just the downward or upward trend.
    my advice? weigh yourself on the same scale, all the time, and you'll get a better sense of what's going on. Are you going to put your money into that one, every time you want to weigh yourself?
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would use the weight your scale tells you unless you plan on weighing in at the mall each week. (Good excuse to go shopping :bigsmile: but not practical.) You'll still see losses or gains from the weight you initially input. And remember, nothing changed. You did not magically gain those pounds, although I think the clothes thing did have something to do with it. I hope you don't sweat it too much. Take care and keep up the good work!!
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    If you are consistantly using your scale at home it would not matter weather it was off or not for your weightloss. I assume that you are not going to pay a quarter every week to weigh in at the mall, so I would just forget about what the mall says and keep with what your home scale says.
  • CatMcCheesey
    CatMcCheesey Posts: 143
    Options
    Go Here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker/home

Select update your weight data.

I had the same problem. I started off with an old scale at home, and when I weighed myself at the gym, I found that it was off by several pounds. I bought a new body analysis scale but hadn't updated my info. I'm updated now - Thanks for the link!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind though, your weight won't be the same at different times during the day, and I'm guessing you had clothes and shoes on. Your scale might still be off, but not necessarily by the same number.

Yep... this is probably why it was off 6lbs! Jeans/clothes + your daily fluctuation could easily equal 6lbs.
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    oX_Vanessa_Xo Posts: 478
    Options
    I'd hold off on making any changes. Maybe get a new scale or see if you can calibrate yours. You want to weigh yourself under normal circumstances before you go making changes.

Your profile pic... at first I was like Damn! And then I was like....oh....
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options
    To answer your actual question, you can go to "Check-In" then "Edit Previous Entries" then you would have to delete the date of the entry you want to change and re-add it.

Thank you!
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options
    I was at the mall yesterday with my daughter and we decided to pay a quarter to weigh ourselves on a scale in the bathroom that said it's the most accurate scale in town. It said I weigh 6 pounds more than my home scale. My husband weighed himself at the Y yesterday and said our home scale is weighing us 6 pounds less. Is there a way for me to change my starting weight in MFP? I don't want to change my current weight on here if I can't change the starting weight.

If it makes you feel any better, I had a scale that I weighed on for several years. I was just a couple of pounds above my goal weight and I am one of those to weigh every single day to make sure I don't gain. One day I got on the scale and I was up 11 lbs! I thought that couldn't be right. So I bought a new scale, which weighed me 14 lbs heavier. Then I got on my old scale and was back down within a pound or two of what I thought I weighed. So I bought ANOTHER scale. LOL. End of story, I had gained almost 14 lbs over a couple of months without thinking I was gaining weight. I just thought my pants were a bit tighter because I wasn't hitting the gym as much and had softened up some.

Sigh.

Hilarious! Sounds like my life story! :wink:
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options
    Go Here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker/home

Select update your weight data.

I had the same problem. I started off with an old scale at home, and when I weighed myself at the gym, I found that it was off by several pounds. I bought a new body analysis scale but hadn't updated my info. I'm updated now - Thanks for the link!

I think I need to invest in a body analysis scale. :wink:
  • KristinaMarieOH
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I need to decide how I'm going to handle this. I will probably change my MFP numbers just for accuracy. I know weight fluctuates but my scale at home is most definitely wrong. I'm okay though and won't let this bring me down. I will invest in a better scale just to know the number. I'm not a scale addict by any means. I only weigh-in every couple weeks and am more concerned with feeling healthy and how my clothes fit. :smile:
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    my scales weight 2lbs heavier i found when i took my daughter to her 2yr progress review and she was weighing lighter than my digital scales.
    it could of even been 3lbs different i can't remember now.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options

I think I need to invest in a body analysis scale. :wink:

i LOVE my wifi withings, and it links to MFP, and the new one even measures heart rate...SOOOOOO worthwhile
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    How do you know that your scale is the one that is wrong? Try weighing a ten pound dumbell and see what the scale shows. Also, do you normally weight first thing in the morning naked? If so, you will add pounds to what ever that is once you get dressed and start eating and drinking during the day because all that you have in your digestive system is getting weighed when you step on.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself in your normal weighing outfit. put on the clothes you were wearing at the mall. weigh yourself again. now you know the weight of your jeans, etc. and can get a better sense if the scale is off or not.

and, of course, weighing something with a known value will help, too.
  • tubamiki
    tubamiki Posts: 3
    Options
    I read somewhere a long time ago that you should only ever weigh yourself on one set of scales - there will always be differences between scales no matter how accurate they claim to be. So anyway i only use my scales at home and as long as the number is in the right direction and my clothes are fitting I'm happy :)

The only time to judge differences between scales and adjust for any differences, would be if you were to upgrade your home scales

:)

ETA: Oh and you should always weigh yourself at the same time and in the same gear - starkers , undies whaterver

:)