What am I doing wrong?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Give calorie counting a chance to work. Log honestly and as accurately as possible, with a food scale. At least then we'll be able to help you tweak if you're not making progress. Right now we have no way of knowing what you're doing wrong. Weight loss is about calories.

Read this for easy info about setting up your calorie goal:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy?hl=leveling+obstacles

For restaurants choose the closest equivalent in the database. If I'm eating at a local place I pick a similar chain restaurant and log a similar meal.
  • onedayatatime410
    onedayatatime410 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just read your diary... see how the LITTLE things add up :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    easiest way to loose weight: eat clean. stick to meat, fruit, vegetables and healthy fats (nuts, oils, etc) you will loose weight like crazy. and its very simple to follow! helped me loose 50lbs in 6 months....
    I follow that clean eating about 90% of the time....

Did you just not eat carbs?

Eating clean is not necessary to lose weight. A lot of people choose that route because they find that it's easier to create a calorie deficit without counting that way, but personally I find it unnecessarily restrictive.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    dont expect overnight results
    strenth training wont help u lose weight
    work out everyday for 60 minutes
    stay under calories
  • Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    I will agree 1000% with that. I eat pretty much what i want when i want and as long as im under or not to far over im good.
  • nykkat
    nykkat Posts: 30
    Options
    stay under calories

working out every day for an hour is just not realistic for me! And I know enough to know that strength training builds muscle which helps burn calories!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Measuring is so inconvenient! How do I measure when I'm in a restaurant?

if you dont know your portions, then your logging will be off. you have to know your portions. guessing will not be accurate. i hate measuring too, but i found out that by measuring, i was over estimating by double most of the time.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Stay within your calories. Log EVERYTHING. Don't eat too low. Have a cheat meal once in awhile. Work out, but don't burn yourself out by overdoing it. Take measurements along with weighing. Combine cardio and strength training. You can eat crap or you can eat healthy, but you'll feel better if you eat healthier. Don't give up everything you love. Carbs are perfectly fine.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    HI there,

if Tuesday was anything to go by, I'd say you need to eat better quality food...looks like a lot of take away and snacky stuff.
    Now, you don't need to eat clean 100% of the time, but you probably need to get a better set of macros that you can stick to.

If you are looking for more fat loss, remember that we respond to different foods differently (some people do better with lower carbs if carb sensitive, others do better with higher fat and lower carbs if fat sensitive and for others it makes no difference).

Best thing is to start by

1. Work out your BMR and TDEE (try here: http://iifym.com/calculators/ )

2. To lose fat, try subtracting about 10-15% from your TDEE and set that as your daily goal (you can cycle up and down each day so long as your weekly average comes out around your setpoint daily kcals). Stick to this number for a few weeks to see how you go. If you lose too quickly, increase your kcals a bit or vice versa if progress is not happening. Be patient.

3. Work out some basic macros. Aim for around 2 x BW or 2 x LBM in grams of protein per day. Aim for a min fat requirement (mostly healthy ok) of about 0.8g per kg BW or LBM. You can set it at your current BW or use your target BW. That works for a lot of people. The rest is carbs. These are not hard and fast numbers. Just guidelines.

You could also try a typical P/C/F ratio of 30/40/30 % as a start point (moderate carbs and fats) and then reset carbs and fats up or down as you need and learn more about how you respond with progress.

Logging every day is a good way to a) get a better understanding of how much you eat and the quality of that intake as well as b) giving you a wealth of data on your own body and how you respond.

Whatever you do, do not restrict kcals too much or you risk eating away (pardon the pun) at your metabolic capcity ... you don't want to starve yourself lean. You want to be able to get lean with as many kcals as you can.

hope that helps a bit.
  • nykkat
    Options

if you dont know your portions, then your logging will be off. you have to know your portions. guessing will not be accurate. i hate measuring too, but i found out that by measuring, i was over estimating by double most of the time.

do i literally bring measuring utensils to the restaurant?
  • mwright7
    mwright7 Posts: 3
    Options
    Exercising 30 mins a day is what people should be doing just to be fit and healthy. Measure everything and log it honestly. You will be surprised how things add up so quickly. It took time to gain the weight, it will take time to get it off. Be persistent and patient. Good Luck!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Log, log, log. When you eat out, you do have to make some guesses, try to make good choices, I saw some great suggestions above. For a time you might want to try to prepare more of your own foods so you know exactly what you're eating.
  • nykkat
    Options
    hope that helps a bit.

Wow! I think I'd have to sit down and really understand exactly what you're saying haha. It said my TDEE is 2564, so I should really be eating above 2000 calories a day?!
  • Live4theLift
    Options

Nah. Once you measure at your house you get a feel for what a cup of pasta looks like or even 6 oz of chicken breast. Dont get frustrated with it, if you dont get it exact dont freak out. If you know your going to go out that night or something try to eliminate a snack to give yourself a little more wiggle room during dinner. Its all patience, it sucks at first but the rewards are sweet
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

if you make it a habit to measure and log at home, you start to get an idea of what how much of something looks like. Then estimating at a restaurant every once in a while won't be an issue. Now if you eat out several times a week and don't really know what a portion looks like... you could run into trouble.
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    Wow! I think I'd have to sit down and really understand exactly what you're saying haha. It said my TDEE is 2564, so I should really be eating above 2000 calories a day?!

Your TDEE is your total energy expenditure for the day. So if you ate 2564 a day you wouldnt lose or gain weight but if you ate 2000 a day you should lose a lb a week
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

How often do you eat out? Making your own food at home is really going to be the only way to get an accurate calorie count. Restaurant calories are going to be estimates. Better than nothing, but in no way precise.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    stay under calories

working out every day for an hour is just not realistic for me! And I know enough to know that strength training builds muscle which helps burn calories!

It's not at all necessary to work out for an hour a day. And strength training WILL help you lose weight as muscles help you burn more calories. it also helps shape your body so you look thinner than you are.

When going to a restaurant that doesn't have nutrition info, you can try using a chain restaurant's nutrition info for a similar meal for a rough estimate, or if you have absolutely no idea, just order a half order or take half home for another day. Then cals are often generally around 400-900 calores. Save some cals during the day for eating out. I personally eat a little less during the week so I save additional cals for the weekend. I aim to meet my weekly goal more so than my daily goal
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    stay under calories

strength training whist eating at a deficit won't build muscle.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    When I'm at a restaurant & don't know the nutritional info, I automatically cut the portion in half & put half in a to-go container to eat the next day. I'm never still hungry after only eating half. Yes, I still WANT to eat more, but if it's already in a container at least it's not staring at me and saying "EAT ME!!"

Good luck!